11 [12.09%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 09:28
I alsi liked gerinski's intervention...

I have similar experience, though I never really smoked tobacco and stopped getting plazstered through alcohol devades ago (still enjoy a good drink though)

I'm glad I did indulge in weed, but yeah, like him, I sometimes wonder what I'd do if hadn't... wopuld i be in a better mental, physical or intellectual shape??

I'm kind of glad I dipped really dipped in the weed as lifestyle or constant party habits... had plenty of buddies that did, can't say they're better or worse off if they had done without it... I guess if I don't find it bad for them, it's pretty well worked out for thm, then

But I've seen quite a bit of dudes that took the wrong turn... Is it weed, alcohol or did they habe a predisposition at self-destruction? Don't know for sure, but weed probably played a partial role... It's probably better to avoid doing the rasta/ganja bit/attitude for too long, because the longer you do it, the harder it will be to swerve away from it...

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 11:06
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

But I've seen quite a bit of dudes that took the wrong turn... Is it weed, alcohol or did they habe a predisposition at self-destruction?

That's the big question. I know many many people (my circle of close friends included, fortunately) who have done drugs (and some still do) and they are perfectly fine and lead perfectly normal respectable lives. Many would be surprised how many business high executives, doctors, lawyers etc consume coke in my native Spain, it's really unbelievable.
But I know a very few who also took the wrong turn.

You can not make a direct correlation but if you are close to drugs you have very probably a higher probability of getting into trouble.

In my experience the key is the basic education you received as a kid, until let's say 13 or 14 years old. I was fortunate to receive a very good education and my family was a normal (albeit sadly motherless) respectable middle class family.
When I became a teen and beyond I lead a somewhat wild life, but the education background was always there, I still had to maintain a certain lifestyle within my family, understood the importance of studying and working etc, so that "cultural hook to the normal society" always kept my feet on the ground and prevented me from crossing the line. You go wild but eventually you stick to what you were taught it's right as a kid.

People born and raised in less stable environments and not getting such a good basic education are probaly more at risk of taking the wrong turn, which is a sad thing.

Edited by Gerinski - December 03 2012 at 12:54
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 13:21
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Last week, I had one of the most astounding experiences in my life: listening to my brother explaining why he considered weed as a "hard drug" (while I remember having seen him smoking some joints and I'm nearly sure he may have experimented with ecstasy a dozen years ago).

He was rather convincing.
What did he tell you? in my experience weed is one of the softest drugs out there, even softer than the legal normal cigarettes.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 05:01
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

In my experience the key is the basic education you received as a kid, until let's say 13 or 14 years old. I was fortunate to receive a very good education and my family was a normal (albeit sadly motherless) respectable middle class family.
When I became a teen and beyond I lead a somewhat wild life, but the education background was always there, I still had to maintain a certain lifestyle within my family, understood the importance of studying and working etc, so that "cultural hook to the normal society" always kept my feet on the ground and prevented me from crossing the line. You go wild but eventually you stick to what you were taught it's right as a kid.

People born and raised in less stable environments and not getting such a good basic education are probaly more at risk of taking the wrong turn, which is a sad thing.

yeah, I do believe that a good stable environement helps as well.... As the elder of three boys, I was the one breaking grounds and often getting in trouble for my mistakes ... yet my brothers did a few as well, but avoided many, because they learned from me....
Yet that didn't stop the younger one to have a slightly bigger drugs (incl alcohol) problem; partly due to some "dangerous" friends, that seemed to prance/prey on younger teens... I had to intervene twice to drive a few away... yet to this day, my brother is still more prone to drugs than I am

I was fairrly careful not to do drugs at school, and never did at work either... Though whenever studying, we sometimes did major bouts of smoking and it actually help us concentrate... flying colours in the next day's exams

=================

Coming back to upper professionals into drugs, they also have higher revenues, which means that they don't have to go to street dealers to get their cut-down junk... Most likely doctors know how to get medical-grade hard-drugs, with lesser side-effects.
Most countries have actual custom tarifs to import these drugs " legally" for hospital uses

content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 00:40
I write papers stoned all the time but I avoid being too high when studying for tests. I think it's possible to handle a weed habit during school if you have enough of a tolerance and react well to weed in general. 
Stooge View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2012 at 00:20
I really don't deal with weed much.  I only ever partake in the prescence of a few of my friends who buy the stuff.  I've never bought any though, but don't use enough of it to have anyone accuse me of freeloading. LOL
A fun place to review and discuss metal: MetalMusicArchives
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 10:22
Not anymore. It's enjoyable, but it's not a group activity and it hinders research unlike something like alcohol which enhances it in an acceptable range. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
DisgruntledPorcupine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 12:11
I'd say I'm an avid smoker. I try not to way overdo it though.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 14:23
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I only ever partake in the prescence of a few of my friends who buy the stuff.  I've never bought any though, but don't use enough of it to have anyone accuse me of freeloading. LOL

Yeah that was pretty much it, spot on.

Has been years, cliche I know but feel too old nowLOL
Could agree, deff not a group thing and while it was enjoyable was never that great.

Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:16
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

it hinders research unlike something like alcohol which enhances it in an acceptable range. 

can you elaborate? I don't understand what you mean by this at all
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:19
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Last week, I had one of the most astounding experiences in my life: listening to my brother explaining why he considered weed as a "hard drug" (while I remember having seen him smoking some joints and I'm nearly sure he may have experimented with ecstasy a dozen years ago).

He was rather convincing.
What did he tell you? in my experience weed is one of the softest drugs out there, even softer than the legal normal cigarettes.

Indeed, I'm also curious.
Well ciggs had zero effect at all, but when you're piss drunk it's certainly a lot more debilitating than weed.
And never done anything else but shrooms, acid, ecstasy and all seem much harder. Could've been just his personal tolerance and all
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:35
that has the adverse effect on me it seems, I pass out Unhappy fall asleep, bah! I lived 8 years in Holland tried many times, not good to me. I don't mind the smell, infact it smells nice to me but no I have not touched it for over 10 years Stern Smile
docall27 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2012 at 16:55
I used to be a modest user of weed and I consider it a softer drug than alcohol.  Real problem is the legality of it and random drug tests at work.  
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2012 at 15:55
I'm wondering what the result would be if people were randomly tested for alcohol first thing in the morning at work, on a Monday.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2012 at 15:05
It would just be funny if society started treating alcohol like other drugs suddenly and the people who drink all the time would have to start realizing they have a drug habit whether they want to call it that or not. It bugs me how many people i met who try to tell me they don't see alcohol as a 'real drug', so silly.
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 06:34
I like it , but don't have a source, so it happens rarely
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

that has the adverse effect on me it seems, I pass out Unhappy fall asleep, bah! I lived 8 years in Holland tried many times, not good to me. I don't mind the smell, infact it smells nice to me but no I have not touched it for over 10 years Stern Smile

The fact that you smoked it in Holland might explain why you fell asmeep.... the local weeds back then, called Skunk were fairly strong, but very smooth... I felt quite sleepy doing those weeds as well... When i moved in the NL, I was a tad worried my weed consumption would dramatically increase, but most of the local weeds still put me to sleep... and the odd one give me cold sweats... Sooo I kind of quit... I only smoke what the buddies grow and sell to me... though I only smoked twice tor thrice his past year
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
The Truth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 20:34
Never had it, never will.

I am however for legalization of all drugs.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 21:13
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

The fact that you smoked it in Holland might explain why you fell asmeep.... the local weeds back then, called Skunk were fairly strong, but very smooth... I felt quite sleepy doing those weeds as well... When i moved in the NL, I was a tad worried my weed consumption would dramatically increase, but most of the local weeds still put me to sleep... and the odd one give me cold sweats... Sooo I kind of quit... I only smoke what the buddies grow and sell to me... though I only smoked twice tor thrice his past year

Haha! Sean I am glad you tried the Dutch stuff, it is powerful, others become happy while it made me numb and dumb Unhappy
By nature, I am quite happy plus hyper active, thus this doesn't work for me. Infact I am glad that when I was a child doctors didn't prescribe Ritalin so eagerly to children. I came out normal I promise Wink
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 21:57
Originally posted by The Truth The Truth wrote:

Never had it, never will.

I am however for legalization of all drugs.
Likewise.

I'm one of those people who really doesn't care if people do it, i just stay away really.

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>