Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 09:08
I absolutely hate the "no soul" label that sometimes gets put to anything with time sig changes and weird chords, or just anything the listener is not used to... Really f**kin' gets on my nerves. Not liking a certain type of music is fine, but saying said type of music has no soul is an insult, not to mention an unprovable accusation. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 09:02
Depends.  I guess somebody from the 'outside looking in' like a blues rock fan is going to observe some general trends and not specific examples.  I think in the 70s, it was mainly GG and JT that grooved - and being that GG loved funk and JT loved the blues, that's a no brainer.   The rest wrote some groovy stuff once in a while but not most of the time.  KC really began to groove only once they got Belew on board (though I don't know if the change was because of him or because Fripp changed his approach).  I wouldn't say Yes or Genesis groove a whole lot (glad if they do for some other listeners), similar thoughts on ELP.   Rush can groove but Rush can do some out and out hard rock so that's not surprising. 

But there must be tons of groovy fusion stuff and maybe your friend would enjoy that more if he wasn't already aware of it.
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2012 at 07:07
Spoke to a blues rock fanatic yesterday, and he told me the reason prog rock is not widely loved is the fact that it does not groove, and therefore has no soul. 
I tried to explain to him that complex rhythms has the ability to groove fantastically, it all depends where you place the accents.  He basically closed the argument by saying that most people like to groove, and few like prog, so let the evidence speak for itself.  We ended up chatting about the Allman Brothers, a band we both like, and agreed to disagree on the previous subject.  I dont know, does prog rock not groove?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011