Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Neo-Romantic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 02:40

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Prog can definitely groove listen to Red by King Crimson and i don't really like the bandShocked

Definitely agree with you there (although I do like the band, and Red is my all-time favorite album). When I think groove, I think of the Dream Theater album Images and Words, especially the verses of Take the Time and the bridge and solo sections in Under a Glass Moon. The bass groove in the latter is unbelievable.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 00:43
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Prog can definitely groove listen to Red by King Crimson and i don't really like the bandShocked

hahahahaha! ProgMetaller LOL you little pest Smile hahahaha!!!! Hug
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 00:40
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2013 at 20:40
My friend, keyboardist Mychael Pollard, certainly DOES groove!  Check out this funky stuff! 

Edited by cstack3 - February 04 2013 at 20:42
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 04:53
At the end of the day, what constitiutes "groove" will differ from person to person

Whilst I wouldnt expect to hear wall-to-wall prog at a "knees-up" type of party ie wedding, I think that prog grooves in places.

Certainly recall moving around to Roundabout and Ive Seen all good people when seeing Yes live in the 70s !Smile

Numerous other examples already mentioned
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Salt Peanuts View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 02:45
Many thanks Ajay.
I note within this thread that many people respond to criticism of prog by criticising other styles. Music is music. Style is unimportant and an 8th note looks like an 8th note when written down.

In my youth I was a prog snob. I thought prog outshone blues and pop. Naive to the point of foolishness. Uneducated, certainly. I learned from my many wonderful teachers and more experienced musicians I worked with just how wrong I was. Many of these lessons were screamed at me by angry band leaders. Needless to say, I took the lessons to heart.

Is there a superior form of music, a better music than any other? No. That idea is born of racism in the European conservatories of the past. A symphony MUST be superior to an African of Indian savage beating a drum. Nonsense. Chopin playing his triplets is better than an Indian playing triplets, how? The music is just different.

Fans of prog enjoy a form of pop music. Just as fans of hip hop enjoy a form of pop music. Any professional musician should be able to play a prog song. Just as they should be able to play funk, samba or country and western.

As a player, I have played many styles. It is what must be done if one wishes to pay the rent. A prog gig on Monday, a jazz gig on Tuesday. It is all the same. One style simply has a different approach from another. Prog and other forms of R&B are felt more on the downbeat. Latin and Brasilian styles are felt more on the upbeat. Jazz is swung and highly syncopated and communication in the moment is the key. It is this highly evolved syncopation that hides its beauty from the average rock listener. The brain is unable to distinguish and sort the various rhythms. I often have to help students through this sophisticated litening exercise. This is why it doesn't sell. And is why Earl Palmer and others added the backbeat.

Prog as a style is like any other western pop music form. It began with the 6-8 clave of the Oruba people from Nigeria, transported as slaves to the new world. This rhythm gave birth to many others, such as blues. The shuffle behind Fanfare for the common man owes as much to that birth rite as the jump blues bands in Chicago and New York in the 1930s, the music that began all form of what we call rock and roll.

For me, a student of music, there is not enough time in the day to take it all in. Everywhere I look I find startling new music. A student gave me a book on gamelan music for xmas. I was fascinated and begin instruction next Thursday. I am already searching for bells to buy. Latin music and jazz, African, Indian, samba.... Human beings have created wondrous forms of music. I am trying to learn as much as possible, but I am left humbled by my inadequacy and lack of time.

My advice to any open minded music lover is this; if ever you hear a musical style you do not understand, listen to it over and over until you do. The fault is not with the music. Music has no faults. It is simply that one does not understand the music. There is a form of music to suit every facet of the human condition. And that is why it exists.

Even One Direction. Because that young girl needs them.

By the way, I am deeply in love with music.

Thanks again Ajay.
"If less is more, imagine how much more, more would be".
Frasier Crane
Ajay View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 01:01
Originally posted by Salt Peanuts Salt Peanuts wrote:

All music grooves, in its own way. Unless the musicians playing it are terrible. Starting, I must say, with the drummer. And good drummers groove.

Exactly. Ask any mix engineer. If it makes you tap your foot or bob your head or play air guitar or air drums or air Moog or sing or clap along, it grooves.

Except for Taylor Swift. Taylor Swift never grooves.

Welcome!

PS Please don't murder me!
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 00:52
Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

Spoke to a blues rock fanatic yesterday, and he told me the reason prog rock is not widely loved is the fact that it does not groove, and therefore has no soul. 
I tried to explain to him that complex rhythms has the ability to groove fantastically, it all depends where you place the accents.  He basically closed the argument by saying that most people like to groove, and few like prog, so let the evidence speak for itself.  We ended up chatting about the Allman Brothers, a band we both like, and agreed to disagree on the previous subject.  I dont know, does prog rock not groove?

Neelus, people who do not listen to prog have a wrong perception of it, completely wrong. To me blues and rock constantly played in most the predictable 3 chords does not interest me either, on the contrary I hate it. No soul this is odd or crazy too because prog can be most explosive exciting while also be most touching reaching a fabulous most brilliant climax, this feeling one will never get with plain blues or rock which is just consistant the expected.  
Salt Peanuts View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 00:24
Hello.
I joined this forum mainly to address this thread question; Does Prog groove?

I asked this question of my first drum teacher back in the late 70s. His answer "Yes, but things groove in their own way." Today, after a 30+ year career as a professional drummer, I agree. If the music has a pulse that propels it forward, then essentially that is "groove".

If we look back at the history of what was once called Symphonic rock, there is ample evidence, not only of pulse, but even what a Motown fan might call groove, or feel. The point that escqpes many people who dislike Prog, is that those involved in creating it grew up listenning to Motown, Stax and various other pop styles emanating from America. People such as Phil Collins and Peter Hammill loved that music. And they were not alone.

Listenning from my vantage point, the drum throne, it is obvious that groove exists. An example might be Cinema show, where Phil Collins plays a rhythm that is obviously born in the James Brown songbook. And Phil and the band nail it. Even Carl Palmer, who had to be more interactive in an arrangement, kept the 1/4 note pulse going during fills. Just listen to his tom rolls during Tarkus. The 1/4 note pulse is respected and felt, if not heard, by the listener.

Many people who are not musicians, are fond of their opinions. And good luck to them. This does not mean they are learned. As a musician I have heard many many opinions from drunks and the sober after, before and sadly, during performances. Indeed, noteworthy was the drunk who accused me of being an infamous murderer. I smiled and thanked him for staying and watching the show, regardless of my grissly past.

All music grooves, in its own way. Unless the musicians playing it are terrible. Starting, I must say, with the drummer. And good drummers groove.
"If less is more, imagine how much more, more would be".
Frasier Crane
ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 09:23
One more red nightmare has some NASTY grooves in it. And pink floyd is heavily blues influenced and play many blues type grooves, especially on dark side and shine on.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
Fighter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2013 at 16:33
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bEX85p1R308" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
i would recommend David Sancious and Tone to anyone who thinks prog can't groove. at the very least it shows that symphonic ideas can be fused with those of soul music.
reformationband View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2013 at 09:37
There is plenty of prog that grooves. Pink Floyd grooves hardcore, and they are one of the most influential prog bands that ever existed.  The blues rock fanatic the OP is talking about is obviously a very close minded person. And the thing about blues rock is that it's cool until you realize that alot of them are basically just blues shuffles or minor variations on it. That gets old after hearing it in 10,000 different songs.
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 23:42
 The world is filled with folk that aren't capable of appreciating prog.

Your friend is just one of many.
ProcolWho? View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 23:37
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 18:21
^ I bet that Gurtu syncopation will never cease to amaze me.

Not quite sure if anyone has mentioned this one, seeing that we have nine pages of punishing our beloved blues-rock fanatic: Soft Machine's Third, anyone? Tracks 1, 2, and 4?

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 30 2012 at 23:57
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 18:13

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 17:26

Spoke to a blues rock fanatic yesterday, and he told me the reason prog rock is not widely loved is the fact that it does not groove, and therefore has no soul. 

And yet, blues has soul, why?
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 11:23
Remember guys. I'm saying some styles of Jazz to me are an array of noise pollution. Not all styles. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
awaken77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2012 at 02:43

Suggest him to listen Magma Big smile   It does groove, for sure

Edited by awaken77 - December 10 2012 at 02:43
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2012 at 21:01
Originally posted by Ytse_Jam Ytse_Jam wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Seriously? You call that scattered and disorganized noises? Thou might as well calleth "Discreet Music" a bunch of scattered and disorganized noises.

Not your link in general. There is nothing to open here. My comments are not in relation to your link.

His link is a perfect example of non-groovy jazz that isn't only a bunch of noises, don't you think?
EDIT: sorry, I did read your last post Smile

For some reason I can't open it through my I phone, but if I had a PC it would probably work. I gotta get another computer.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>