Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why listen to mediocre prog if you not a collector
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy listen to mediocre prog if you not a collector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 03:22
This great album is on P.A, but still doesn't have any review.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 03:36
^Really?Shocked 
I happen to own that one on vinyl. Maybe I should start reviewing again in the near future - give this one some love. I do miss writing reviews.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aquiring the Taste View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 04:41

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

^That I can understand, but as mentioned many times in this thread - sometimes those masterpieces don't instantly reveal themselves to you - plus tastes change and what may have sounded like sonic faeces when you first heard it, may just be a real humdinger now. Who knows?
If you don't risk listening to other music than what you deem safe and you already know to be great, then the possibilities for new discoveries will drastically decline.

Sorry for taking that further than what you probably meantEmbarrassed I too don't buy every release from my favourite acts - far too much mediocre stuff. I really don't get those collectors that keep buying material just because it's Genesis, Crimson, Floyd insert name with big discography hereBig smile

We are talking about two different things here, over the years i have been very adventurous, I can also tell you that it is a sado-masochistic journey.  I've sold most of my disapointments to collectors, who value them in some way that I don't.
I am an old fart, but always ready to listen to something new, original & innovative, regardless of age or country of  origin.
No offence takenBig smile[
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 05:56
I know if I listen the first time and it feels like a 2 star album it is unlikely it will ever get to a 4 star album rating in my opinion. On the other hand a few 3 star albums initially were elevated to 4 stars cos they grew on me. A bad album thhough remains a bad album even after 20 years.

Love Beach is always going to be a dud beach
Invisible Touch is always going to Visible Slush
Giant For a Day is always going to be Junk In a Day
Works 2 is always going to be Waterworks Poo

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 06:28
^ Right then, since I have heard three of those and agree wholeheartedly - I needn't bother with Giant for a Day then Tongue thanks in advamce for saving me Time & Money
Love Beach is possibly the worst album by a top notch progband...unless anybody has a better shout....
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 06:45
I know this is a a digression but I have always liked Invisible Touch. One of their best post Hackett albums. Love Beach I like too....Like Beach! Works 2, yep that has some great material on there...a hot potch but not a complete dud.
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 14:06
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

^ Right then, since I have heard three of those and agree wholeheartedly - I needn't bother with Giant for a Day then Tongue thanks in advamce for saving me Time & Money
Love Beach is possibly the worst album by a top notch progband...unless anybody has a better shout....

I like Love Beach, specially for the cover - no, kidding! I like it but not for being prog, as pop shot its nice. And I think Big Generator is far disgraceful.
Who watches the watcher of the skies?
desistindo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 14:09
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

This great album is on P.A, but still doesn't have any review.

I like it!! But not enterily. I would keep a track or two and save it in a collection, but definally wouldnt keep the entire album. The same for this, this is only track I like from this obscure act:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1K804MHMMo

Who watches the watcher of the skies?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 14:17
Originally posted by Aquiring the Taste Aquiring the Taste wrote:

^That I can understand, but as mentioned many times in this thread - sometimes those masterpieces don't instantly reveal themselves to you - plus tastes change and what may have sounded like sonic faeces when you first heard it, may just be a real humdinger now. Who knows?
If you don't risk listening to other music than what you deem safe and you already know to be great, then the possibilities for new discoveries will drastically decline.

Sorry for taking that further than what you probably meantEmbarrassed I too don't buy every release from my favourite acts - far too much mediocre stuff. I really don't get those collectors that keep buying material just because it's Genesis, Crimson, Floyd insert name with big discography hereBig smile

We are talking about two different things here, over the years i have been very adventurous, I can also tell you that it is a sado-masochistic journey.  I've sold most of my disapointments to collectors, who value them in some way that I don't.
I am an old fart, but always ready to listen to something new, original & innovative, regardless of age or country of  origin.
No offence takenBig smile[

Clap I am too on the adventurous route.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 03:55
Why listen to mediocre prog at all? Of course it all boils down to someone's trash is another persons treasure. In the end there is a broad band of music out there and you just can't do everything....
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 04:55
This is pretty much how I feel about music in general. At one point I just started to feel like listening to anything that isn't truly fantastic just isn't a worthy investment of my time when there's so much really great music I can always find that I really find it hard to bother with things I don't really dig. 
zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 02:25
The best gets really boring after a while, need some crappy stuff to clear em ears out!!!!!
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 02:36
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

[QUOTE=Guldbamsen]
"Plastic surgery attack victim claims he had his ears replaced in the darkness of night"
Edit: I was aiming at Mr Leary hereEmbarrassed
[/QUOTE}
How could you tell?Smile

Those awful stitchingsTongue

Actually my wife probably sees the Sennheiser Hd 595's as my ears as much as they are on my head. We are big on hand signals.

Lol. I'm the laughing stock at my house where by I wear the giant salad bowls that are the Sennheiser HD 800's. I live in those cans of heaven!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 03:40
Originally posted by zoviet zoviet wrote:

The best gets really boring after a while, need some crappy stuff to clear em ears out!!!!!

Sometimes I do feel like doing that. Just heard Michael Rother's "Flammende Herzen", and it's not too bad, actually.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 07:04
The fact that an album is not considered a "masterpiece" does not mean is not good or that it won't be a pleasurable experience to listen too. Many albums that are not so important and considered mediocre have a lot to offer too, and you can enjoy the sincere efforts by a band/artist to put it together, specially when you know how hard it is to write a piece of music, arrange it, orchestrate it, etc. It takes way more than you might think, and if you appreciate the sincere efforts put by an artist to write an album, you'll have a great time listening, and will make you appreciate your masterpieces much more.
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 12:35
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I love listening to stuff that I know sucks.  It's all part of my grand educational project.  Then again, I am a collector, so I'd still fit in the scheme of the OP's premise.   I can't speak for more casual consumers.

I feel the same way. Lots of my listening nowadays is geared toward my personal education as a listener. I do return to what I consider masterpiece albums or recordings all the time to remind myself of divine creations in music, though. That's only natural. But it's important to note that even things that aren't masterpieces or even those things that really do suck have all sorts of value in them.
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 12:36
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The fact that an album is not considered a "masterpiece" does not mean is not good or that it won't be a pleasurable experience to listen too. Many albums that are not so important and considered mediocre have a lot to offer too, and you can enjoy the sincere efforts by a band/artist to put it together, specially when you know how hard it is to write a piece of music, arrange it, orchestrate it, etc. It takes way more than you might think, and if you appreciate the sincere efforts put by an artist to write an album, you'll have a great time listening, and will make you appreciate your masterpieces much more.

this, too, is kinda what I meant.
Progging the Rock, Rocking the Prog.

soundcloud.com/withinareverie

withinareverie.blogspot.com

facebook.com/withinareverie

Twitter: @WithinaReverie
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 12:42
So far I consider 44 albums to be perfect  masterpieces. I'd get pretty bored of music if I only listened to 44 albums.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 12:43
Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

So far I consider 44 albums to be perfect  masterpieces. I'd get pretty bored of music if I only listened to 44 albums.

Which 44?
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 12:43
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

Originally posted by smartpatrol smartpatrol wrote:

Which 44?

These
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>