Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why listen to mediocre prog if you not a collector
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy listen to mediocre prog if you not a collector

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:17
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

I love listening to stuff that I know sucks.  It's all part of my grand educational project.  Then again, I am a collector, so I'd still fit in the scheme of the OP's premise.   I can't speak for more casual consumers.

I'd like to get some more so-bad-they're-great albums (have before).  Sort of the the masterpieces of bad music

I feel that way about Cro-MagnonBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Neelus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:24
I feel much more "attached" to albums I discovered without being told beforehand that it is a "masterpiece" by a friend or publication. I guess it feels more like I own the enjoyment myself? Not sure, but it does feel neat discovering great music.  Probably one of the reasons I stayed away from popular music being fed to me through the radio in the first place. 
The "masterpiece" albums known to all are fantastic too, but we all know that Smile

Edited by Neelus - November 03 2012 at 12:26
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:29
Masterpieces are those albums given a specific lable in my mind. When it comes down to it I often have the behavior of not listen to much to these specific records. I can learn from this that selecting music has more to do with my moods and behavioral pattern that aren't revealed to me in full conscience.

..yeaah scientist yeaah...
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:40
I listen to albums that are far short of masterpiece standard regularly, partly because I like listening to new stuff, some of which isn't always great, but it's worth it when you turn up a gem.

I also sometimes listen to older albums which I own but don't care for; I did this with GG and suddenly saw what I'd been missing for 30 years. As a long time non-fan of VDGG, I occasionally give them a spin to remind myself why I don't like them. The disconcerting thing is that I found myself quite enjoying Pawn Hearts last week so another revelation may be brewing a la GG.

I also listen to the lesser albums from bands I love. Listening to Strawbs' lacklustre Nomadness, for example, always makes me appreciate just how brilliant Grave New World is.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
10mb View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:40
I don't always agree with the term "masterpiece". And why would you place such limits to your listening enjoyment? There are many compositions that have sublime passages to them that you would completely eliminate if you only listen to masterpieces. Wonderful solos and chord progressions....
That being said, I do rely on a consensus rating when introducing myself to new stuff and I'm more inclined to listen to the highest rated release of a new (to me) band- often approaching the "masterpiece" designation.Smile
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:41
Originally posted by desistindo desistindo wrote:

I have a theory that only collectors listen to prog that arent a masterpiece (at least in personal taste perspective). If you can listen to a top star album, why would you listen a two star, for instance? Particularly speaking, I have many prog albums and I just linsten back to the tops. Does it occur with you too?

You have to acknowledge the possible potential of the albums that are not masterworks. E.g., there was a time when I really enjoyed listening to Genesis' From Genesis to Revelation simply because I was one of those people who just couldn't put their fingers on the stuff that sounds a bit like The Beatles or any other psych-pop-rock band with strings. But hey, ... I'm not a collector!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:42
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I love listening to stuff that I know sucks.  It's all part of my grand educational project.  Then again, I am a collector, so I'd still fit in the scheme of the OP's premise.   I can't speak for more casual consumers.

I'd like to get some more so-bad-they're-great albums (have before).  Sort of the the masterpieces of bad music

I'm guesssing you don't mean the Japanese jazz-fusion band?  It's good.  If you mean the psych/ experimental Cromagnon from 1969, the one that released Orgasm, that album would fit for me.  Then there's the Cro Magnon in RIO/Avant which I like.

Originally posted by Neelus Neelus wrote:

I feel much more "attached" to albums I discovered without being told beforehand that it is a "masterpiece" by a friend or publication. I guess it feels more like I own the enjoyment myself? Not sure, but it does feel neat discovering great music.  Probably one of the reasons I stayed away from popular music being fed to me through the radio in the first place. 
The "masterpiece" albums known to all are fantastic too, but we all know that Smile

Many of the ones commonly considered masterpieces often don't really do it for me.  For instance, I don't find Close to the Edge fantastic.

Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Masterpieces are those albums given a specific lable in my mind. When it comes down to it I often have the behavior of not listen to much to these specific records. I can learn from this that selecting music has more to do with my moods and behavioral pattern that aren't revealed to me in full conscience.

..yeaah scientist yeaah...

The album I have the the urge for at any given time usually depends on  my mood and psyche, so at that time those albums are masterpieces for me (in terms of being amazingly enjoyable).  At another time I wouldn't enjoy a given album, but my urges don't fail me.

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 12:46

^Me neither. 
I save them for the right moment, so as they don't get killed by routines and the haze of everyday life. There is a reason why we don't celebrate Christmas more than once a year.
Same here!

^Me neither. 
I save them for the right moment, so as they don't get killed by routines and the haze of everyday life. There is a reason why we don't celebrate Christmas more than once a year(Might also have something to do with that Jesus dude).
Might also have something to do with those Carpenters Christmas songs. ... Dead LOL

Edited by Dayvenkirq - November 03 2012 at 12:47
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 13:04

Yes, exactly.  It's fun!
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 13:07
Sometimes I find it interesting trying to understand the people, their psyche and cultural etc. backgrounds through arts, also why not a progressive rock recording. My or public opinion about their work's quality wouldn't matter in this kind of perspection, only the flickering ghost of human souls reflected to the artefact. Many times albums which may have quality flaws in sounds, or technical skill may yet shimmer with this spirit and be more interesting than well produced and calculated "masterpiece" product.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 13:07

Did you know that Ghost covers one of those songs (Caledonia) on their "In Stormy Nights" album? Shocked

My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 13:27
Well, at least in my case, the OP is right. 
I only listen to lower rated albums of bands that I already know well and appreciate.
And even then I'm more than once disappointed by those lower rated albums.
I try to avoid mediocre stuff, and PA is an excellent database.
Of course, there are exceptions, but most of my favorite albums have a 3.50+ rating on PA.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 17:01
Originally posted by thellama73 thellama73 wrote:

No. I listen to dozens of albums that are not masterpieces. Just because something is not a masterpiece does not mean it is not enjoyable and satisfying, particularly if you are in a particular mood.

If we only listened to masterpieces, we would have very little to choose from and variety is the spice of life.
This parallels my first thought, to which I add that as long as the lower rated album is still enjoyable (which is the ultimate criteria for listeners), it does help give perspective on what makes a masterpiece.  The same can be said for one star albums, but why would you listen to something you rate that low?  Of course, ratings are subjective, so one person's masterpiece can be another's piece of crap.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 17:07
It's also worth pointing out that your feelings about an album can change over time. A masterpiece that you've heard a hundred times may have little to offer from an additional listen, whereas a three star album you've only heard twice may yet have hidden treasures to reveal.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 17:07
Hi,

Hmmmm ... I'm wondering if you are rating things way too much. I don't worry about classic, progressive or merde, and enjoy music for what it is. I keep thinking that if I was to listen for "masterpieces", I would never ever, forever, appreciate a Missa Luba or the Sex Pistols ... but then again ... I avoid these classifications in principle on purpose ... I have never heard music because it was this or that ... I heard it because it called me, and my curiosiry got lit up!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 17:15
^ I totally agree. I think I said something to the same effect on the first page.
This is what happens when you transform music into a sport.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 17:42
Originally posted by desistindo desistindo wrote:

If you can listen to a top star album, why would you listen a two star, for instance?
Don't know.. because you like it?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 17:52
Why would anyone call an album 'a 2 star album' outside of an actual review?
Please don't buy into the whole rating thing. Yes it's there to give you some form of tangible knowledge as to how good you think an album is, but when you take it with you and start awarding music stars inside your head - conjuring up wild discussions about whether to rate something 3 or 4 stars, then you are really missing the point by a very large margin. Music should hopefully be more than that.

- Douglas Adams
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 17:58
It's absurd to talk about "5 stars albums", 2 stars", mediocre stuff, ecc.. Music is subjective.
moodyxadi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2012 at 18:00
Why do we read mediocre posts or mediocre topics? Out of curiosity, boredom, for geting nothing better to do or just for the sake of finding something interesting in the middle of a teen's confuse mind - even if written by someone other than the OP, which is the usual thing.
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>