Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for some help from Mike Oldfield Fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 05:49
I love all of his albums up until Five Miles Out.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 18:27
^ However the question was what releases which held the most authenticity. I love all the albums up to Crises then Oldfield's releases grew ' Patchy' but Amarok and Songs From Distant Earth showed he could still produce the magic, and TBII
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 01:30
I have to admit I like The Millenium Bell (TB4) as well. Its is quite close to pop in the same way that Platinum was and equally as enjoyable. The albums I struggle with are Guitars and Voyager which I wish I liked. Also I havn't heard the Music Of The Spheres classical release. Any opinions on that?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 02:33
^ forgettable. But my opinion does not take away from the fact that it is a decent classical release. I prefer Voyager to Guitars although the Guitars tour was a great live show.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 13:52
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ However the question was what releases which held the most authenticity. I love all the albums up to Crises then Oldfield's releases grew ' Patchy' but Amarok and Songs From Distant Earth showed he could still produce the magic, and TBII

I don't like Songs from Distant Earth, but I don't know why, even though I can perfectly hear it's him. Maybe the path he chose to take on that album. Amarok I'm still digesting; there's too much of everything there, so at many times I get lost. And I still haven't listened to any of the newer renditions of Tubular Bells; I'm scared they will ruin one of the albums I treasure the most. 

And his most authentic release, for me, would be either Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn. All three are a prefect frame of his style when he was in his prime. They also sound like NOTHING else, unlike some of his albums after Incarnations.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 15:27
Originally posted by CCVP CCVP wrote:

Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

I don't like Songs from Distant Earth, but I don't know why, even though I can perfectly hear it's him. Maybe the path he chose to take on that album. Amarok I'm still digesting; there's too much of everything there, so at many times I get lost. And I still haven't listened to any of the newer renditions of Tubular Bells; I'm scared they will ruin one of the albums I treasure the most. 

And his most authentic release, for me, would be either Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge or Ommadawn. All three are a prefect frame of his style when he was in his prime. They also sound like NOTHING else, unlike some of his albums after Incarnations.
Those first four albums were unique journeys at a time when it was 'allowed'. The later albums (79-83) are still highly
intelligent if slightly commercial sounding in approach but I think the point was not actually to make money ( I realise you were'nt suggesting that) but enabled him to tour more easily without having to use about 50 musicians.

After that first ten years I suspect he has found it increasingly difficult to stick to just one thing and as a result his natural style or approach has been lost perhaps. The Songs Of Distant Earth (and the later Tres Lunas) were very nice albums for chilling out to if nothing else. I'd recommend listening to SODE on headphones. Its perfect!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12