Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for some help from Mike Oldfield Fans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for some help from Mike Oldfield Fans
    Posted: November 05 2012 at 18:47

I picked up Ommadawn and Tubular bells earlier this year. Suffice it to say I'm hooked. I am looking to fill the gap in my collection and pick up Hergest Ridge before I proceed any further into Mike's catalogue. Since I'm one of these weird people who insist on paying for my music I need a little advice on which version to get.

Due to easy and availability, iTunes tends to be my first stop when looking for a new album. iTunes has the 2010 re-release available rather than the original. Normally, this wouldn't be a concern, but I happened to notice that the album lists the tracks as Hergest Ridge parts 1 and 2 (2010 Mix). Does anybody know if this is just a re-master or if there have been any substantial changes to the content? To help differentiate, the iTunes cover features a glider over a pastoral scene rather than the outwards folding landscape as featured of the PA page.

I ran into this exact same problem a little while ago with the iTunes version of Tangerine Dream's Phaedra. It turns out the iTunes version had several material changes which essentially ruined the album in the eyes of TD fans here. I'm hoping you valiant PAers can come up with the save yet again. Thanks all. Happy proggin'.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 01:44
Hergest Ridge is an interesting case as for years I only had the 'Boxed' version which is very different to the original version! But for many its actually the best!

I have the deluxe edition of Hergest Ridge. The first disc has the '2010 Stereo Mixes by Mike Oldfield' and the second disc has the 'Original 1974 Stereo Mixes'. I must confess that I am not sure how much difference there is but I have the 2010 stereo mix on my I-Pod and I am very happy with that.

Sorry if I have just added to your confusion!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 18:53
I believe that by "Herges Ridge part 1" and "part 2" they mean the first half (or side "A") of the album, and the second (or side "B"). As far as I understand, Oldfield wanted to make his albums in the 70's as a 1 song album, but since he had to split them in both sides of the LP, they ended up having to songs, part 1 and 2. Ommadawn and Tubular Bells are about the same. By the way, I would say better buy the 2010 mix CD, which includes, apart from both original and 2010 mixes, a few bonus tracks (which I don't know if come with the ITunes package). But then, I prefer to have my albums fisically instead of just in the computer/IPod.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 01:46
The other thinh is that TD rerecorded their album which is a bit 'iffy' while MO just remixed his.

BTW The remaster that Jean Michel Jarre did of Oxygene a few years ago was a complete rerecording but you would never know. The key is to use the original equipment and keep the composition the same (which JMJ did).

On the subject of buying Deluxe editions in MP3 format, I purchased the deluxe edition of Platinum off Amazon and its very nice. Saved me about £5.

PS I checked I-Tunes and the deluxe edition of Hergest Ridge is only £3 more. No brainer, get it!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 02:06
Oh and another thing the 'remastered' version of Hergest Ridge on I-Tunes is the 1974 stereo mixes. You can tell this by checking the track times on the deluxed edition of the various versions. The 2010 remixes have different track times to the 1974 stereo mixes.
R-A-N-M-A View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 22:45
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Especially on the track times. I think I'll probably just go with the delux edition via Amazon. The only versions available to me on both (Canadian) Amazon and iTunes only has the 2010 remix available. I'll just have to be patient for once.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 01:51
You will enjoy it I'm sureSmile
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 03:15
Buy a DVD of Mike live. There are a couple of good early ones available.
http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7065845&style=moviehttp://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=6988410&style=movie

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 08 2012 at 03:18
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 03:14
^ those would be my recommendations for DVD's as well. The latter (Exposed) has the more fuller Oldfield experience and I would suggest going for that first. The Live At Montreux 1981 DVD features fewer musicians but is very enjoyable also.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 04:52
I'm not a great fan of his earlier work but absolutely LOVE "The Songs of Distant Earth". That's a desert island album for me.

I saw the concert he put on for Tubular Bells 3 at Horseguard's Parade in London (where the Olympic beach volleyball was held. It rained all night.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 10:02
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

I'm not a great fan of his earlier work but absolutely LOVE "The Songs of Distant Earth". That's a desert island album for me.

I saw the concert he put on for Tubular Bells 3 at Horseguard's Parade in London (where the Olympic beach volleyball was held. It rained all night.

Songs Of Distant Earth is wonderfull. I also like Tres Lunas although there seems to be a lot less love for that around here. Its great 'headphone music' (as is a lot of Mike Oldfield of course).

My third DVD recommendation would be that TB3 performance at Horseguards Parade. I'm sure it was worth the soakingWink

Edited by richardh - November 12 2012 at 10:03
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 14:26
Hi,

Just go to Wiki and get the album list and then decide what you want.

I do not, and never will, rely on Apple for anything ... other than them continually ripping off people, getting away with it, and people still thinking they are cool!

Generally, I buy the full albums, but since I have been there from the beginning it is much easier for me to handle ... and no ... I never have enjoyed the "copies" or the different versions of "Tubular Bells" at all ... and I like Mike's other stuff that is more original, expressive, progressive, and more fun to listen to! Like Amarok, or Songs of Distant Earth, or the album after that with all the bagpipes ... way better stuff ... and you should get the whole album, and NOT at Apple!

Apple reminds me of everything that was wrong with the record companies in the old days ... sending out a "banded" version of "Close to the Edge", or "Thick as a Brick" or "Atom Heart Mother" or "Echoes" because they believed people that listened to rock music, were too stupid to appreciate a rock piece that was 20 minutes long! Just like you would be stupid if you can't listen to Beethoven's 9th for 45 minutes! Apple is STILL treating you like an idiot -- and I don't like it!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 14:28
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ those would be my recommendations for DVD's as well. The latter (Exposed) has the more fuller Oldfield experience and I would suggest going for that first. The Live At Montreux 1981 DVD features fewer musicians but is very enjoyable also.

I've always thought that EXPOSED is one of the best rock music experiences EVER filmed ... and if you can not sit there and go wow to Pierre Moerlin, or Pekka Pojholla (sp), or Maddy Prior ... you have never seen, or heard this!

Easily one of my most prized possession DVD's in music!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 16:59

Songs Of Distant Earth is wonderful
I'm glad you agree Smile 

Quote My third DVD recommendation would be that TB3 performance at Horseguards Parade. I'm sure it was worth the soakingWink
Not quite but it was OK.

I wandered down the front towards the end and found myself standing very close to a certain Richard Branson Big smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 01:50
Originally posted by Nov Nov wrote:

Songs Of Distant Earth is wonderful
I'm glad you agree Smile 

Quote My third DVD recommendation would be that TB3 performance at Horseguards Parade. I'm sure it was worth the soakingWink
Not quite but it was OK.

I wandered down the front towards the end and found myself standing very close to a certain Richard Branson Big smile

Did you get on the DVD?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 01:58
Amarok is also great as Moshkito mentions.
idoownu View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 15:42
Another vote for Amarok from me. I've probably listened to that about a hundred times and it is still entertaining the whole way through.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 13:51
Originally posted by idoownu idoownu wrote:

Another vote for Amarok from me. I've probably listened to that about a hundred times and it is still entertaining the whole way through.

I can understand why some folks don't like this ... but really, in the end, when it comes to creativity and exploration, this is one of those albums, that you sit back and go ... yeahhh ... that was different ... yeah ... that was interesting ... yeah ... what was that all about?

I wonder if, at times, we are so damn stuck on melody, and the varying structures around a melody, to the point where we lose the ability to listen to something that is wayyyyyyy less melodically inclined, than most music! And this is my biggest problem with commercial and popular music ... it becomes how fast can anyone lullaby you into buying that song ... if not the naked girl/woman, then something sexy ... and this is one part of this whole "progressive" thing that drives me nuts ... way too much "melody" ... and ... honestly? ... I don't think that many folks listen to a lot of music beyond the melody and the lyrics, of which, of course, some folks are convinced that the music "is" about!

I love that thread about "evil" this and that ... and it's all cheap lyrics for the most part! The music? Hahahahaha!!!!!
www.pedrosena.com
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 01:45
Amarok was made with a similar sensabilty as Thick As A Brick I suspect. Its well know that Oldfield was putting a couple of fingers up to a certain 'cloth eared' business mogul. Tull were sort of taking the piss as well but in a very smart way.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 03:00
The original versions are the best to collect IMHO. You cannot beat TB's raw magnetism, again Hergest Ridge. Ommadawn was a far cleaner production even in it's original form, Incantations and so on. All these re -releases are for die hards only who are fussy about the output or re-inventions. Remember we all loved vinyl onceSmile

As another member states it would be wise to get the live and different Exposed also...fine release. I also have the Boxed set which I thoroughly enjoy only because the differences are minimal in terms of original output.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>