Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTop 5 proggiest Asia albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 21:15
I'm not an Asia expert but I would imagine(and hope)that the very first self titled debut and Phoenix would make the top five. I have not heard Omega yet or most of the post eighties albums actually.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 21:31
Originally posted by otto pankrock otto pankrock wrote:

Odd, I've always thought of Asia as the final nail in the coffin of the classic period.

Interesting way to put it. As far as commercial mainstream prog goes that could be true. You could also say 90125 by Yes. Prog as a genre didn't really die though it went underground and became international with bands from South America and Japan and other countries picking up the slack in the late seventies and early eighties.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 23:32
Live in Tokyo is their proggiest album. Great versions of Fanfare for the Common Man, Roundabout and In the Court of the Crimson King. As for their studio albums, the first is their best, but I wouldn't call it very proggy. 

Asia Fantasia - Live in Tokyo album cover
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 03:10
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Live in Tokyo is their proggiest album. Great versions of Fanfare for the Common Man, Roundabout and In the Court of the Crimson King. 

Asia Fantasia - Live in Tokyo album cover

Clap

Yes, I agree. This live album/DVD is really excellent, and a perfect place for a Prog fan to discover the original Asia. It has all the songs from the self-titled debut, generally improved. It has one song each from Yes, ELP, King Crimson, and The Buggles, plus solo sections by the four members. Also, a wonderful art work by Roger Dean. 

zoviet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 03:27
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I didn't know Asia had 5 albums.

I didn't even know Asia had prog albums.

LOLClap
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 03:36
Originally posted by prog4evr prog4evr wrote:

LOL LOL LOL So true... Clap Clap Clap

So true?? No no....VERY TRUE!!!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 03:48
ASIA is not prog. I mean THE CURE even sound far more proggier than Asia and they are not even considered progressive to any extent really. I would disagree with that though.

Anyway. Please someone educate me and explain to me how Asia is prog or prog related? I'm not being sarcastic I just want to know for real because the majority of songs I've heard from them sound like "the heat of the moment." that song to me sounds like your basic pop rock song, although I rather enjoy the guitar in that one.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 05:35
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Please someone educate me and explain to me how Asia is prog or prog related?

Well, I don't think anybody here has claimed that Asia is a Prog band (though some, including myself, said that some of their songs are Prog). Scott, who opened this thread, were asking for the five "proggiest" albums by Asia. Replying that "Asia is not Prog" is not very helpful in this context.

Explaining why Asia is Prog related is very easy indeed. It has a lot to do with its four original members' background in Prog bands. But it is not only that. The music itself does share many elements of progressive Rock, albeit a simplified version of it, as was their concious motive. Read the official definition of "Prog related": http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=38

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 05:48

This song is definitely Prog:

I hope there will be at least one song like this on the upcoming Asia featuring John Payne album (to be called Americana)

Edited by SouthSideoftheSky - December 19 2012 at 05:51
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 06:36

And also don't miss GPS (named after its three principal members: Guthrie Govan, John Payne, Jay Schellen). GPS also featured Ryo Okumoto (Spocks Beard) on keyboards. The band sounds very much like a more progressive version of John Payne-era Asia. Or rather, it simply is a more progressive version of John Payne-era Asia.

I rated their sole album Window To The Soul with four stars. Here's a sample:

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 06:40
I've heard about three of their albums, and have a compilation which I sometimes listen to while doing the housework. I'm not an Asia expert but all in all I'd say the best thing about them is their album covers.

The music is pleasent but unremarkable. A group of excellent musicians enjoying some commerical success. Good luck to em, but it doesn't do much for me to be honest.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 07:53
Originally posted by SouthSideoftheSky SouthSideoftheSky wrote:

This song is definitely Prog:

I hope there will be at least one song like this on the upcoming Asia featuring John Payne album (to be called Americana)

First video from the upcoming album has just been released:

Thumbs Up
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 01:54
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I've heard about three of their albums, and have a compilation which I sometimes listen to while doing the housework. I'm not an Asia expert but all in all I'd say the best thing about them is their album covers.

The music is pleasent but unremarkable. A group of excellent musicians enjoying some commerical success. Good luck to em, but it doesn't do much for me to be honest.
I suddenly had a horrible vision in my head akin to that Queen video 'I want to break free'LOL

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2012 at 01:57

Well, I don't think anybody here has claimed that Asia is a Prog band (though some, including myself, said that some of their songs are Prog). Scott, who opened this thread, were asking for the five "proggiest" albums by Asia. Replying that "Asia is not Prog" is not very helpful in this context.
Explaining why Asia is Prog related is very easy indeed. It has a lot to do with its four original members' background in Prog bands. But it is not only that. The music itself does share many elements of progressive Rock, albeit a simplified version of it, as was their concious motive. Read the official definition of "Prog related": http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=38

Maybe a touch of Crossover prog? Would you say they are eclectic enough? I don't think they are.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 03:57

Maybe a touch of Crossover prog? Would you say they are eclectic enough? I don't think they are.

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. Whether I think Asia should be moved from Prog Related to Crossover Prog? Well, no. I think Prog Related is the perfect place for them. As I said, I do not consider them to be a Prog band. But they are certainly related to Prog in the relevant ways, and they therefore clearly belong in the archives (in the related category). 

Though, some of their songs can reasonably be said to be Crossover Prog, but no album of theirs as a whole, I think.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 04:06
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

First video from the upcoming album has just been released:

Thumbs Up

Yes, I have heard it. Not bad, but also not too impressive. I like the Queen-like ending, though. 

Still, this is a single, and usually the album tracks are the better ones, and most progressive ones. I am a huge fan of Erik Norlander (much more so than of Asia itself). I'm still hoping that Norlander can inject some progressive blood into this version of Asia. 

I don't expect miracles, but potentially Americana can be as good as the GPS album. Or at least as good as Silent Nation.

prog4evr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2012 at 12:40

I didn't know Asia had 5 albums.

Exactly.  The title of this thread is an oxymoron...Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12