Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Frank Zappa 2012 Re-Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Frank Zappa 2012 Re-Issues
    Posted: November 06 2012 at 21:51
Anyone get any of the new Zappa reissues that have been coming out this year? I'm curious to hear what your opinions on them are. Some are worth getting, some aren't if you already have the Rykodisc versions. 

If fact, this site has all the info you need on the reissues (and more).

I just bought the new and improved Sleep Dirt, which is the original vinyl version on CD; no more annoying female vocals that were added to the Ryko version 10 years after the original album came out. I'll let you guys know how it is after I listen to it.

Edited by darkshade - December 19 2012 at 13:09
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 22:04
From what I can gather (mostly from reading that website) the ones worth rebuying are:

Hot Rats
Filmore East
Sleep Dirt

I'll get to buying them eventually.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 22:06
I'll only be getting a handful - Waka/Jawaka, Bongo Fury, Sheik Yerbouti (I have on vinyl already, but would like the CD) - I though his stuff was going out of print for good, so I freaked and bought a ton of Zappa albums between late 2011 and early 2012.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 22:11
Waka/JaWaka and The Grand Wazoo seem worth getting as it seems the overall sound is better, the horns sound fuller and the added reverb to the Ryko versions is gone. Absolutely Free seems like it has better sound as well, and Hot Rats is the original vinyl mix, which I don't believe I've ever heard.
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2012 at 22:15
^ Original vinyl mix of Hot Rats? Wow.

Edited by KingCrInuYasha - November 06 2012 at 22:15
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 01:09
I picked up the reissue of Sheik Yerbouti a few weeks back, sounds good to me.  
HarbouringTheSoul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 09:46
These reissues were needed for a long time, and it's great to see they're finally here. Among the highlights:
  • Chunga's Revenge: It's unbelievable just how much reverb the old CD was soaked in. "Transylvania Boogie" and "The Nancy & Mary Music" were almost unintelligible. Now everything's dry and crystal clear.
  • Fillmore East - June 1971: Apart from removes the tons of digital reverb that were plastered all over the old CD, this also (finally) restores "Willie the Pimp, Pt. 2", which has never been on CD before.
  • Sleep Dirt: No vocals, no drum overdubs by Chad Wackerman. I never had a huge issue with the vocals, but I'm extremely glad that the drums are back to original. Hopefully more people will start appreciating this excellent album now that the original version is available.
  • Sheik Yerbouti: I never had the Rykodisc CD, but I heard it was terrible and cut short "I'm So Cute".
  • You Are What You Is: The 1995 Rykodisc issue had intolerable sound problems that even bothered decidedly non-audiophiles. It was fixed in 1998, but it was difficult to find out if a disc was the broken one or the fixed one just by looking at the case. Plus, this reissue finally restores the entire guitar solo in "Dumb All Over" and has a much fuller mix.
  • Plus, a lot of the other reissues just sound plain better. I'm especially enamored with the new Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Joe's Garage.

Sadly, in some cases reverting back to the vinyl mix means that content is lost. As much as appreciate the fact that Weasels Ripped My Flesh now doesn't sound like total crap, it also cuts half of "Didja Get Any Onya?", which was incidentally my favorite part of the whole album. And don't even get me started on the lack of piano in Hot Rats' "Little Umbrellas".

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 12:11

WOWIE ZOWIE! Sleep Dirt blew me away. I have heard all the songs that are on Lather, but to hear them packaged like this together is great. I had listened to the vocals-version of SD once or twice 6 years ago when I first got into Zappa, but that’s it. I forgot how jazzy this album is, probably his jazziest album. This was like listening to a brand new Zappa album, something I haven’t experienced in some time.  I still think Lather is FZ’s magnum opus, but there are worthwhile things here besides these songs being together. The mix is crystal clear, extended versions of some songs, and you get the title track which isn’t on Lather. This album is also contains rare appearances of acoustic guitar and acoustic bass on most of these tunes. GET THIS ONE!!!

Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2012 at 13:02
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

These reissues were needed for a long time, and it's great to see they're finally here. Among the highlights:
  • Chunga's Revenge: It's unbelievable just how much reverb the old CD was soaked in. "Transylvania Boogie" and "The Nancy & Mary Music" were almost unintelligible. Now everything's dry and crystal clear.
  • Fillmore East - June 1971: Apart from removes the tons of digital reverb that were plastered all over the old CD, this also (finally) restores "Willie the Pimp, Pt. 2", which has never been on CD before.
  • Sleep Dirt: No vocals, no drum overdubs by Chad Wackerman. I never had a huge issue with the vocals, but I'm extremely glad that the drums are back to original. Hopefully more people will start appreciating this excellent album now that the original version is available.
  • Sheik Yerbouti: I never had the Rykodisc CD, but I heard it was terrible and cut short "I'm So Cute".
  • You Are What You Is: The 1995 Rykodisc issue had intolerable sound problems that even bothered decidedly non-audiophiles. It was fixed in 1998, but it was difficult to find out if a disc was the broken one or the fixed one just by looking at the case. Plus, this reissue finally restores the entire guitar solo in "Dumb All Over" and has a much fuller mix.
  • Plus, a lot of the other reissues just sound plain better. I'm especially enamored with the new Burnt Weeny Sandwich and Joe's Garage.

Sadly, in some cases reverting back to the vinyl mix means that content is lost. As much as appreciate the fact that Weasels Ripped My Flesh now doesn't sound like total crap, it also cuts half of "Didja Get Any Onya?", which was incidentally my favorite part of the whole album. And don't even get me started on the lack of piano in Hot Rats' "Little Umbrellas".

Hmm...perhaps You Are and Shiek should be added to my list...
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2012 at 20:51

The 2012 reissued Sleep Dirt amazed me so much I ordered 4 more FZ reissues on Amazon (Hot Rats, Chunga’s Revenge, Roxy & Elsewhere, and One Size Fits All), and even stopped by my record store and picked up Over-Nite Sensation. Let me tell you, other fans who’ve reviewed these new reissued albums are NOT exaggerating at how good they sound. I listened to O-NS, then listened to each track one by one, comparing each to the older version I have, and I now think the old version sounds so weak and flat. The new reissued Over-Nite Sensation (which is from the original analog source) sounds full, warm, with lots of punch from the drums, and the bass can really be felt. I can’t listen to the old version again. I can’t wait until more of the “new” Zappa albums arrive!!!

Edited by darkshade - November 08 2012 at 20:53
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2012 at 03:47
Well, Roxy & Elsewhere is identical to the old CD.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 11:29
I know, though someone on the Zappateers forum said the new one is mastered a little better (maybe louder) than the old one. Also, even though they said it's the same, another person at Zappateers said the We're Only In It For The Money is slightly different. Roxy is my long-term favorite FZ album, so I don't mind owning another copy, at least for the sake of an organized Zappa collection.

Edited by darkshade - November 10 2012 at 11:36
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 12:27
I've bought so many Zappa reissues I am done for now. Oh a side note if you don't have Baby Snakes you should get a copy :)

Some people say it lives in a tiny hole....

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 10 2012 at 12:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2012 at 17:08
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I know, though someone on the Zappateers forum said the new one is mastered a little better (maybe louder) than the old one. Also, even though they said it's the same, another person at Zappateers said the We're Only In It For The Money is slightly different.

I don't know about the people at Zappateers, but as the back cover clearly indicates, these discs use the exact same masters as the old discs. They're digitally identical.

Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

Roxy is my long-term favorite FZ album, so I don't mind owning another copy, at least for the sake of an organized Zappa collection.

Fair enough.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 12:34
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've bought so many Zappa reissues I am done for now. Oh a side note if you don't have Baby Snakes you should get a copy :)

Some people say it lives in a tiny hole....

Same.

All in all,  though, I have never thought that the music remastered, anywhere, by anyone, has been better than what I heard inside my head. I have yet to find that one, and I think that Godot is hiding somewhere out there.

I live for the visuals that the music have, and as such, these do change, but in general they are similar ... one instrument 5ft from me with reverb, instead of 100ft without reverb, but with compression and masterreverberation, does not change the visual that much ... it might if it was a lawnmower going from the left ear to the right ear ... but it coming towards me? ... hmmmm !!!!!

All in all, so far, there has not been anything that was worth picking up that was any different to me.

But it was NICE, and WORTH it, to finally get the stuff that I was missing and such ... remastered or not.

Between you and I, I have become totally tired, and sick and tired, and disgusted, with the waste of time and money in some of these "remasters". I can handle a live concert getting cleaned up ... for example ... so that now we can hear it better, and not have it sound like the bootlegs did in those old days ... but I don't see Pink Floyd going over 50 very famous bootlegs ... and the fact that one ear in specific forced them to show the original material that would have been the next album that was NOT. And I do not see the worth of hearing 50 Rolling Stones boots. But there were 50 Led Zeppelin bootlegs worth listening to ... and Jimmy made sure he messed them up good to confuse you with "How The West Was Won".

The only reissues I would want to hear again? The old Grateful Dead jams ... because they were one of the most important things in the early psychedelia that led to "progressive" ... many think that they were too stoned and that the players weren't good enough to do anything during those jams, and that would be incorrect for the most part.

The rest? ...

There is better music out there, though I would have to state that the biggest issue with the Zappa Trust is not the music itself ... it is that they are stuck on the guitar God thing, and they do not know music from their holes, and in the end, the stuff that is in the vaults they do not know how to classify, and would show that Frank was one of the greatest composers of music in American history ... that out of those long pieces, many songs came up and out of it. But we, in America, have no music taste ... and the lady in charge is a rock'n'roller, and was married to a guitar God, not a musician that composed music! And sadly, the son has become the ultimate garage band ... getting blown away by people that really love music, instead of merely playing the notes!

Sorry ... as much as I love the music by this person, it's hard to appreciate the continuous re-releases of everything ... how many different versions of tres culos do we need?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2012 at 12:59
These reissues are different from the ones that you see from artists like Pink Floyd. There are two reasons for this reissue campaign: First, the entire had been out of print for some time, so people who are new to Zappa wouldn't have had a chance to hear his music otherwise. And second, these reissues removed all the ill-advised modifications Zappa made to his albums in the 80s and 90s, like rerecording rhythm tracks and slapping tons of digital reverb on anything. I understand your problems with the "reissue craze" of certain artists, but in this case it was absolutely necessary.
dunwich View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2012 at 00:15
Yeah I'm more a fan of this so I can grab the albums that had become so hard to find in Aus recently, and now at a reasonably cheaper cost, as opposed to the King Crimson masters which make things uber gorgeous. I got Ship Arriving To Late To Save A Drowning Witch today for $17 as opposed to the usual $25+ I'd been finding them...which when you a Zappaphile, adds up over the albums to be a metric f***ton of money.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 10:58
Originally posted by HarbouringTheSoul HarbouringTheSoul wrote:

These reissues are different from the ones that you see from artists like Pink Floyd. There are two reasons for this reissue campaign: First, the entire had been out of print for some time, so people who are new to Zappa wouldn't have had a chance to hear his music otherwise. And second, these reissues removed all the ill-advised modifications Zappa made to his albums in the 80s and 90s, like rerecording rhythm tracks and slapping tons of digital reverb on anything. I understand your problems with the "reissue craze" of certain artists, but in this case it was absolutely necessary.

You sure?

I had 18 versions of Echoes!

16 versions of Atom Heart Mother!

12 versions of One of These Days!

At least 6 versions of Astronomy Domine!

And the bootlegs show you why and how Pink Floyd grew ... up to and including the sound effects thing, Which kinda shows you that in the early days, the sound effects PROBABLY were used in between songs to help setup the new effects that they needed ... for the next piece. By the time DSOTM came out, a lot of the effects that were used were already in sync by the main board, which also controlled some of the effects used ... !!! You can not get this idea from their albums ... at all!!!!! But the sequence, in the bootlegs tells a much better, clearer, and wayyyyyy more interesting story!

In Frank Zappa's case, what is being re-issued is worthless and minor in the expansion, understanding and explanation of the musical man behind it all! The Zappa Trust is not capable, willing, or interested in letting people see, the rest of the stuff that is available in there, because all they know is the rock star stuff and the guitar god stuff! ... and the orchestra stuff and the rest of the warmups that were also recorded, will never be heard ... because those folks do not know how to name it, or catalogue it ... and it's not quite the rock radio stuff either!

It's almost like saying that a new found Mozart or Stravinsky is going to change the course of the world of music and where it is going ... the sun still comes up and so does the moon!

Edited by moshkito - November 13 2012 at 11:37
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 15:56
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You sure?

I had 18 versions of Echoes!

16 versions of Atom Heart Mother!

12 versions of One of These Days!

At least 6 versions of Astronomy Domine!

And the bootlegs show you why and how Pink Floyd grew ... up to and including the sound effects thing, Which kinda shows you that in the early days, the sound effects PROBABLY were used in between songs to help setup the new effects that they needed ... for the next piece. By the time DSOTM came out, a lot of the effects that were used were already in sync by the main board, which also controlled some of the effects used ... !!! You can not get this idea from their albums ... at all!!!!! But the sequence, in the bootlegs tells a much better, clearer, and wayyyyyy more interesting story!

That's all fine and dandy. But what does this have to do with either the reissue campaigns of Zappa or Pink Floyd?

In Frank Zappa's case, what is being re-issued is worthless and minor in the expansion, understanding and explanation of the musical man behind it all!

And that's not the point behind these reissues! The point is to make the catalog available again as it existed originally (i.e. before Zappa messed with it in the 80s). Without these reissues, all Zappa albums would be unavailable now.

The Zappa Trust is not capable, willing, or interested in letting people see, the rest of the stuff that is available in there, because all they know is the rock star stuff and the guitar god stuff! ... and the orchestra stuff and the rest of the warmups that were also recorded, will never be heard ... because those folks do not know how to name it, or catalogue it ... and it's not quite the rock radio stuff either!

Explain to me the existence of ZFT releases like Everything Is Healing Nicely and Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison then. Your assertion that the ZFT is only interested in Zappa the rock star and Zappa the guitar god is plain false. Their posthumous releases encompass all aspects of Zappa's work. Including the orchestra stuff and whatever you mean by "warmups".

It's almost like saying that a new found Mozart or Stravinsky is going to change the course of the world of music and where it is going ... the sun still comes up and so does the moon!

I don't see any connection between this and anything I said. I was talking about reissuing previously released material so that it's still available to people in 2012. I wasn't talking about new music at all.
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 19:31
Might as well chime in. I have the bulk of the Ryko remasters. I'm not about to buy them again, since I have all the vinyl up through Joe's Garage. So when I hear a statement to the effect that this or that remaster sounds like the original Chunga's or whatever, I don't care because I can always go back and hear the original Chunga's. The exception was getting Greasy Love Songs. which restored Ruben & The Jets to its original glory.
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>