Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGoblin, Melbourne, Australia 21st Nov 2012

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goblin, Melbourne, Australia 21st Nov 2012
    Posted: November 09 2012 at 21:36
GOBLIN - Melbourne Town Hall, Melbourne, Australia - November 21st 2012

Melbourne Town Hall's Grand Organ is the most complex, thunderingly loud natural instrument in Melbourne. And for one night only, it will belong to prog-horror legends Goblin.

Goblin will be employing the Grand Organ to perform a set of their most famous and revered soundtrack work. Awe-inspiring, overwhelming and chilling, this is how the music of Goblin was meant to be heard.

Support:
Thematica, feat. members of Midnight Juggernauts plus Timothy J Hoey (Cut Copy), Gus (Architecture in Helsinki), Evelyn Morris (Pikelet), Shags (Lost Animal, Brous) and more guests to be announced, bring to life grand musical interpretations of iconic film and soundtrack works. Traversing Phillip Glass, John Carpenter and beyond, Thematica will re-imagine these artists' significant film scores on a large scale.

Rounding out the bill will be local heavyweights The Night Terrors, with their dark synth dreamscapes and other-worldly electronica.

Supported by Mess+Noise and Triple R.

Melbourne Town Hall, 100 Swanston Street, Melbourne VIC 3000

Date & times: 21/11/2012, Wednesday: 8pm - till late.

Price: Full price tickets $40. On the door $50 Transaction and booking fees may apply

I'm all set and ready! Anyone else planning on going?

Damn sure hope they play some of one of my all-time favourite prog albums `Roller'!
dunwich View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 14:02

Nice to see you there man! Had a blast, that organ was mind blowing.

Anyway, I'm off to work with approximately 0 hours sleep. Til next time!
shanocles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 07:18
soooooo jealous! HOW COOL THAT WOULD HAVE SOUNDED!
how many people were there? was the organ played for the whole concert or just a few bits here and there, cos i imagine that you'd have to sit a fair way away from the rest of the band to play that thing?? PROG!!!!!
if left is wrong i don't wanna be right...
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 16:40
Originally posted by shanocles shanocles wrote:

soooooo jealous! HOW COOL THAT WOULD HAVE SOUNDED!how many people were there? was the organ played for the whole concert or just a few bits here and there, cos i imagine that you'd have to sit a fair way away from the rest of the band to play that thing?? PROG!!!!!

Hey Shanocles!

I'm still trying to work out a proper estimate of how many people were there, but I've reviewed the concert over on this thread:

Goblin - live Melbourne Town Hall 21-11-2012

and since then, I've come across several videos people shot of the concert on their phones, some of which show the crowd, so you might get a better idea from that! I've posted Youtube links on that page too, as well as some of my own fairly rubbish photos.

I thought there would be some more proper photos/review popping up on the net by now, but so far very few!

Claudio mostly played on his bank of keyboards, but went up to the organ for about three tracks on and off. He even joked something like `see you in ten minutes' because of the time it took to travel from the stage up to the organ!
 Post Reply Post Reply