FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedChildren & Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 10:30
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

It would just seem terribly wrong if my son would like the same music I do. Music has always been a form of rebellion, regardless of musical content, and continues to be.
How could I expect him to be into something that is now 30 or 40 years old?
Music, at a rebellious age is not about music, it's about attitude.
Musical apprciation will probably come later. I now listen to stuff I wouldn't have dreamt ot listening to when I was that age. So will he,hopefully.

I strongly disagree with all of this.
I'm able to rebel with music, just no rebel from my parents, rebel from society. My parents are my friends, my allies, I don't want to rebel. They're nice people with good taste.
I grew up listening to old music and still listen to old music.
And I find the music it's self to be more important than attitude.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 10:33
I was ten years old when I discovered Pink Floyd.  That was forty years ago, and they're still my faves.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 11:08
There must be something terribly wrong with me, then, because I am 16 and appreciate music.Wink
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 11:09
Tiny scratch in my Fragile CD, so it gets stuck at "Five Per Cent For Nothing."  Not good with a mildly autistic kid.  LOL

So he's moved on to The Yes Album.
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 11:17
I am fairly young for a prog fan as I am 24. My dad is a huge prog fan, and I was exposed to Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis and King Crimson from a very young age.

I really enjoyed Jethro Tull and Yes as a young child and I grew to like other prog during my adolescent and teen years.

But getting your children into prog can also create an effect where your children get you into newer prog music. For example, I have got my Dad into Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Anathema, Anekdoten and Opeth among others. The last time I went to see Opeth live, I saw them with my Dad. \

Me and my Dad don`t like all the same music as I love Jazz and my dad does not really like it, and I love electronic music while he does not, but we definitely have broadened each others musical horizons.

Edited by QuestionableScum - November 17 2012 at 11:19
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 11:40
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Tiny scratch in my Fragile CD, so it gets stuck at "Five Per Cent For Nothing."  Not good with a mildly autistic kid.  LOL

Well, Yours is No Disgrace for the scratch. Wink
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
Undercover Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 12:46
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

It would just seem terribly wrong if my son would like the same music I do. Music has always been a form of rebellion, regardless of musical content, and continues to be.

How could I expect him to be into something that is now 30 or 40 years old? He has his own generation's music, although I think that stuff is awful.

After all, when I was his age (19), I wasn't prepared to listen to Elvis Presley or Frank Sinatra. they were history, I liked Deep Purple In Rock and Led Zeppelin. My parents hated it, and that's how it should be.

Music, at a rebellious age is not about music, it's about attitude.

Musical apprciation will probably come later. I now listen to stuff I wouldn't have dreamt ot listening to when I was that age. So will he,hopefully.

If my son liked the music I'm still into after decades, I'd think there was something very wrong somewhere.
So there's something wrong with teenagers that like old music, and like it for the music and not the attitude?
Undercover Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 12:49
Originally posted by QuestionableScum QuestionableScum wrote:

I am fairly young for a prog fan as I am 24. My dad is a huge prog fan, and I was exposed to Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Genesis and King Crimson from a very young age.

I really enjoyed Jethro Tull and Yes as a young child and I grew to like other prog during my adolescent and teen years.

But getting your children into prog can also create an effect where your children get you into newer prog music. For example, I have got my Dad into Porcupine Tree, Riverside, Anathema, Anekdoten and Opeth among others. The last time I went to see Opeth live, I saw them with my Dad. \

Me and my Dad don`t like all the same music as I love Jazz and my dad does not really like it, and I love electronic music while he does not, but we definitely have broadened each others musical horizons.
24 isn't young, i've seen lots of younger people here, including me, i'm 16.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 12:50
I found prog two years ago, when I was 14, so it's not as if it's all old people. Plenty of my friends like it too, be it more the modern bands rather than 70's symphonic however.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Galactic Melt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 21:44
I sing my daughter to sleep with parts of "Misplaced Childhood" (Kayleigh and Lavender). She asks me to sing the "Dilly Dilly" part often. I also play both of my kids Biosphere's "Substrata" which puts them in a mellow mood and helps to drift them to sleep as well. Gotta pass on Dad's love of prog to the youngsters! Cool
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 16:07
Originally posted by Undercover Man Undercover Man wrote:

Originally posted by QuestionableScum QuestionableScum wrote:

24 isn't young, i've seen lots of younger people here, including me, i'm 16.

I am well aware that there are prog fans on this board that are younger than me. I was just pointing out that I was not a prog fan who was in their 30's, 40s and 50s. Thus I think it is fair to say that I am fairly young for a prog fan, which is what I said in my post.

I am not denying the existence of teenage prog fans, but in my experience I have met very few prog fans who are in their teens or twenties and many more in their forties and fifties. But this could be due to the company I keep.

This also could be a mere semantic issue however, because if someone happens to like Porcupine Tree and Riverside but does not listen to any other prog, I would not consider them a prog fan, even though they like a couple of prog bands. A prog fan would seem to be someone who listens to a signigicant amount of prog music, rather than a couple of bands, and takes an active interest in progressive music in general.

Edited by QuestionableScum - November 19 2012 at 16:12
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 16:17
The bad in being 50 is that I can expect to be able to listen to music for a very maximum of 30 years (likely less), 
It's not enough time to listen to everything I would. You have 26 available years more than me.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
geneyesontle View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 16:22
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The bad in being 50 is that I can expect to be able to listen to music for a very maximum of 30 years (likely less), 
It's not enough time to listen to everything I would. You have 26 available years more than me.

Workout. Cool
You can live 26 more years (unless you have health problems).

Edited by geneyesontle - November 19 2012 at 16:24
Poseidon wants to Acquire the Taste of the Fragile Lamb
- Derek Adrian Gabriel Anderson, singer of the band Geneyesontle
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 23:28
Some of the music to which I fell asleep as a child has become some of my favorite music, and has guided me toward similar music in later life.  A good example is Chiaroscuro by Mike Marshall & Darol Anger (of Montreux fame) or No Blue Thing by Ray Lynch.  I continued to regularly fall asleep to music through my early teens, at which point it seemed the type of music didn't really matter, as long as it was familiar and likable.  I know for certain that I was, at that time, able to fall asleep listening to Disturbed.  For whatever reason, it now seems that the type of music does matter, as I can no longer fall asleep listening to heavier stuff (like Disturbed).  At the same time, albums like Chiaroscuro and No Blue Thing are almost sure to do the trick.

In my mid- to late teens, instead of falling asleep to music, I would listen to music instead of going to sleep.  I guess it was a form of rebellion... Maybe.  This was one of the ways in which I discovered Progressive Rock.  My first classic Genesis album was Foxtrot, and I can recall listening to it for the first time, seated on my bedroom floor.  I discovered Porcupine Tree in the same way through In Absentia.  Magical experiences, to be sure.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 23:31
I remember, just after I found out about prog, I also discovered my friend's dad liked it, and spend ages ripping all his Rush, Genesis, Tool and Dream Theater cds. I actually got him into both Porcupine Tree and Opeth then, as they were the only prog bands I knew well, know when I go over to their house I get sad because he has every single album of both PT and Opeth.

It's hard loving so much music and having no sustainable source of income.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 17:30
Obviously, children were never on my agenda, but my late partner had a son who is now living with me (until he can afford to move out).

He loves Marillion, Camel and Muse and some Yes and Rush but hates IQ and Genesis (probably because I adore them). He plays Hysteria and Roundabout as well as some Rush tracks like YYZ regularly and flawlessly on his bass and is actually getting his band to cover some prog tracks at gigs.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
2WeeksInSpain View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 18:57
my earliest memory of progressive rock music was running around my grandpas shop pretending to be a giant to the sounds of Alucard by Gentle Giant. must have been about 3 years old. good times
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 22:21
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

The Yes Album is better than Fragile anyway.
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 23:19
^ Sorry for going off-topic, but: speaking of Fragile. I think "Long Distance Runaround" is a great soundtrack for the fight scene in the first third of your sig. LOL
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 09:02
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

^ Sorry for going off-topic, but: speaking of Fragile. I think "Long Distance Runaround" is a great soundtrack for the fight scene in the first third of your sig. LOL

Don't you think Roundabout would be more fitting? LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>