Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Tangent-New album in 2013/Gavin Harrison
    Posted: November 13 2012 at 15:39

Andy Tillison:

Hello.
It may not have escaped your notice that something is going on. The Tangent is currently recording yet another "most ambitious project yet" and development is well under way. There ARE a few beta testers who have been listening to the new piece.. a nearly one hour long electric symphonia in three main movements with a short prologue. There have been a few hints dropped about some of the subject matter (there's been a lot of ANTS references for example). 

OK - at this point, as we seem to have given someone the impression that The Tangent is over it's time to let you all know that nothing could be further from the truth. The past four weeks have been filled with a big push forward on the new piece and seen Jonathan Barrett back in the Tangent studio complaining about the mess and playing some typically fluid and lucid bass guitar parts. The whole album has been demoed (by just me) and some of our readers have been offered a chance to hear the stuff for a couple of months. In the south of England, our old friend Jakko is going through the material with a view to playing guitar and singing on the album (subject to his tight schedule we'll keep you posted on this one), Theo awaits the arrival of the tracks for his demanding role on this album and a bit further towards the North David Longdon (Big Big Train) is listening through to the work with a view to accepting my invitation to him to grace us with his formiddable larynx as part of the vocal arrangements. Let's hope he likes it....

NO THIS IS NOT A NEW FIXED LINEUP OF THE BAND!!!

This WILL be more of a project album than its predecessor. At present we have ideas for the live unit which we must keep feasibly local, but at present we are concentrating on the studio work. As an album, well we've always denied that our albums have been concept albums. But this one IS. It's a working day, in this instance in England, but could be anywhere. Unashamedly inspired by Stravinsky & Holst, ELP, Jon Lord, VDGG & Yes this is our first full foray into the bombastic and supposedly pompous world of what some might call Classical Rock. However, we've tried to keep the orchestral elements as part of the Tangent Sound rather than just handing over to the orchestra, in much the same way as we did on Earnest, Full Gamut & Live On Air. It's a more demanding listen than some of our older work. It's not in any way less PROG. It's about things that happen now, about our lives in this world. It's less Metal and more Mahler. It's keyboard and lyric driven.We're aiming for a mid 2013 release, almost certainly with some special deluxe version.

Within the next few days I'm going to be launching a pre -pre-sales page where people can get on board in helping this thing to fruition. People who get involved in that will have an opportunity to hear substantial parts of the album in its current state from the off.

The Tangent - Le Sacre Du Travail (2013)
A Contemporary electric symphonia by Andy Tillison
Performed by the Tangent (Studio project) Inspired by "The Rite of spring" by Igor Stravinsky.

Andy Tillison (The Tangent/ Po90)
Jonathan Barrett (The Tangent/ Po90) 
Jakko M. Jakszyk (Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins/ 21st Century Schizoid Band)
Theo Travis (Steven Wilson band/ Travis & Fripp)
David Longdon (Big Big Train) 

Edited by GermanZERO - November 14 2012 at 08:25

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 15:44
Wow, very interesting news! Like I've been for all their albums, I am definately on board for this one! Sounds like lots of potential for this album!

Roll on 2013!
Undercover Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2012 at 16:17
Looking forward to this Big smile

I discovered them some months ago, really great band, still need to get some albums by them though.
JonnyM79 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 03:03
If Dave Longdon in used well it will be a fantastic addition to The Tangent's sound.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 03:15
A very positive development, especially given the previous news http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=90039
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 03:37
^I was just going to say that bad news turned into pretty good news very quickly!
PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 15:46
Wow I'm so glad Andy has been able to continue his work ! And the the line-up looks amazing ! David Longdon !!!!
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 18:55
Sounds great!! I hope David Longdon is doing the singing, no offence Andy
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 19:06
Mmm...nice. All the words sound right. I'm offcially looking forward to it.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 19:30
So, who's on the drums?
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 23:22
Not so long ago, The Tangent were not going to be.......now this !!  Hope it comes to fruition.
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 18:39
Whoa! David Longdon.  He's fine for Big, Big Train, but I happen to like Andy's voice and think it fits the Tangent.  I hope Longdon won't be doing most of the vocals.  
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 18:43
Totally agree, Doctor! It's like Frank Bornermann in Eloy, the particular and unique voice is such a recognisable trademark of the band!

With The Tangent, Andy's charisma and way-with-words are one of the main selling points for me!

I have noticed a lot of resentment and dislike of Andy's voice, more so than a lot of other bands. I don't know why he in particular is frequently singled out! I find him so distinctive and original!
GermanZERO View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 21:24
Totally agree, Aussie-Byrd-Brother!  Handshake

Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 21:37

Andy Tillison:  "I'm now going to invite the folks who have heard the new stuff to tell people about it from their point of view".

Guy Manning "I have heard it all and it is damn good (and you can quote me)
Clever bugger that Tillison".

Eric Perry "I've had a chance to hear the work in its beta form. As you can guess I'm very excited because I can say with confidence that Le Sacre Du Travail will be at the top of many people's voting this time next year for album of the year.
I feel a strong connection to this album as I'm sure many who travel a long way to work and are in the cycle of life in this way do too...
From the opening part, the break of dawn and the start of the motorway madness to the return home listening to a radio DJ for company to life in front of the TV, this is the life of the Ants.. And so it goes, round and round..
Of course Andy has added so many more layers to this masterpiece and each reveal themselves at every listen..
Getting involved early is something for everyone and I'm going to be pre ordering this epic opus like so many of us.. 
Did I say I'm very excited?"

Brian Watson Ant "Where to start? I've been living with this fantastic piece of music for some time now, and truly believe it's the best thing The Tangent have ever done. Having JB back on bass is lovely. There are three main movements, each about as long as an episode of Scooby Doo. Classic, keyboard-driven, symphonic Tangent, pastoral in places. With lyrics that actually mean something."

Nigel Bennett "First, thanks to Andy for sharing some of this work with me. The Tangent is alive and well and making extraordinary music (again). It's jazz, it's classical, it's orchestral, it's prog with a capital P. It's one of those compositions that matures the more you listen to it - I've heard bits o the umpteenth listen that i missed before. The constructs are probably the most complex and in depth I've heard from Andy's pen. The ebbs, the flows, the theme - it's all there. And of course the lyrics are as up to date and poignant as ever. It ain't gonna be Yours is no Disgrace. I'll be at the head of the pre-order queue again. How's that Mr T? Never was much of a reviewer myself. ;-);-) Looking forward to the other comments".

Cliff 'Progzilla' Pearson "I'm listening to a track now and it's definitely classic Tangent

The orchestral/classical content is well woven into the fabric of the piece and not just a layer over the top, as many others have been - I'm really salivating at the prospect of hearing both the finished album and it's live interpretation.

Enid fans take note! RJG and the boys aren't the only band ploughing the classical/rock furrow now - if you've tried The Tangent before and not found it to your taste, or have never tried the band before, I urge you to give this a listen, when it's released - it has the potential to be a monster! B->"

Edited by GermanZERO - November 15 2012 at 21:39

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 00:06
Originally posted by GermanZERO GermanZERO wrote:

<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;"><font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="5">Totally agree, </span><span style="line-height: 13px; : rgb248, 248, 252;"><font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="5">Aussie-Byrd-Brother!</span><span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">  Handshake</span>

No worries, GermanZERO!

I should add - Cit even be considered that The Tangent have put out a bad album yet, or even a less-impressive one?! I was looking at all of them side by side on my shelf and thinking `Man, what a totally consistent and high-quality discograpy!' I don't think even one of their albums have been noticeably inferior to the last?
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 13:33

Yeah, The Tangent albums are amazing!

check this, posted today :)

Sally Collyer (The Tangent Manager)
OK Folks the wait is over here is the very first chance to hear BRAND NEW work (in progress) from THE TANGENT. email [email protected] to get updates and find out how you can be part of a pre-pre order campaign to support this project.

Edited by GermanZERO - November 16 2012 at 13:34

Undercover Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 14:21
This sounds great, so excited now! Big smile
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 14:06

We're delighted to announce that the drummer working on the project will be Gavin Harrison. Whether it be Porcupine Tree, King Crimson, Jakko's albums, Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin, Kompendium or the Letterman Show - this guy has one hell of a reputation as one of the world's finest. He'll be starting the project within the next few weeks and it goes without saying we're looking forward to seeing what he comes up with on this demanding project.

The Tangent (Album Line-up)

Andy Tillison (The Tangent/ Po90)
Jonathan Barrett (The Tangent/ Po90) 
Jakko M. Jakszyk (Jakszyk, Fripp and Collins/ 21st Century Schizoid Band)
Theo Travis (Steven Wilson band/ Travis & Fripp)
David Longdon (Big Big Train) 
Gavin Harrison (Porcupine tree)

Edited by GermanZERO - November 19 2012 at 14:39

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2012 at 14:07
OMG BRILLIANT

Amazing line-up.
Can't wait for this album now... holy cow.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>