Topic ClosedRush CA Tour Seattle Nov 13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush CA Tour Seattle Nov 13
    Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:42
Yes I am a fan of Rush, a huge fan for as long as I can remember.......

But I am also a fan of great live shows. I love everything about a concert. Getting to the venue, seeing all the people in line and making their way into the venue, all the talk about the artist playing, the new album, what they are expecting, what they want to hear and see. The "cigarette aroma" that floats by in your seat every once in awhile......then just settling in, as curtain time approaches and the fever pitch of the crowd begins.....and then the lights dim.

When this happens at a Rush show, you are taken to another world almost, a musical world of wonderful sounds and sights, for 3 hours nothing else matters. The crapp day you just had at work, seems a million miles away, as it should. All that is a Rush live show will make you forget the bad and bring a huge smile to your face and fill your body with great vibes.

The opening video is OK, not as good as say Snakes & Arrows or Time Machine, in fact all three intro, halftime and outro videos are just OK. A bit on the dark side but that seems to fit with the theme.......Who is the Watchmaker? My kids prefer the funny videos of Time Machine.

Subdivisions to start the show is brilliant....for 3/4 of the song the Seattle crowd was screaming, it was so hard to hear the intricacies of the playing, but the screaming was cool. Then Big Money started and the crowd went bananas again. After that as we all know they went into an 80's flashback with mainly Power Windows and Hold Your Fire material. Getting the Analog Kid from Signals was a treat, such a great song from a great album.

Geddy's voice sounded really, really good......he was hitting all the notes spot on, his tone was very good. Some of his bass lines he was doing was really good, he is such an excellent bass player.
Alex was well...Alex. His playing was very precise, I have never complained about Alex live, he is a fantastic guitarist and always a crowd favorite.....at times he is such a goofball, especially as the show winds down.
What I did not care for much at all was his solo before Halo Effect.....I did not like the sounds he was creating, it was kinda a mess to me, I am sure it was meant to be that way but I did not like it......Even on the drive home my wife brought it up as we talked with the boys about their fav parts of the show.....I was a bit surprised she had the same reaction I did.
Neil.....what can you say. The pillar that he is back there just keeping everything in time and the key to the start of most songs. How can someone keep getting better and better at what they do, we all know he is a perfectionist but this playing is on another level somehow, almost effortless...very fluid. I really enjoyed the separate drum solos, rather than one long 8min solo, he breaks it up, I like that better. the spinning drum throne during Clockwork Angels was cool too! He did mess up, once......he dropped a stick on a flip toss, I can't recall the last time I saw him do that...OMG!!

The CA String Ensemble was a treat for sure.....That was a lot of fun, I do wish their volume was a bit higher on some songs. Chicks with tattoos playing the cello and violins........sweet! The strings helped with the female audience also, Rush is not the most female friendly band, but this helped I could tell.
Overall I think the experiment worked.....It was better than some bands that have done the full orchestra backing, it was just enough but not too overwhelming to the Rush sound.

I was very pleased with the CA songs played, Halo Effect was a bit slow as was The Wreckers, I don't see those two
being a part of future shows. Two songs that for me are just OK on the album are Carnies and Headlong Flight...but I have a new appreciation for them now, those two songs live were killer!! Headlong Flight was a big crowd favorite too, the drum solo in the middle was perfect.
And to end with The Garden was brilliant......Geddy's vocals were album like, very good!

The last few songs and encore material were all fan favorites, as they should be.....These songs bring you back up, get your blood going again and finish you with a bang with 2112......

Rush is putting togther and bringing back the big concert rock shows that maybe some of us experienced with the likes of Genesis and Pink Floyd. Rush put on a show with all the bells and whistles, they spare no expense with the magnificent lighting, pyro and the multitude of big screen monitors floating in air, let alone the huge HD jumbotron monitor......makes you feel you are front row. The shows are getting better and better with each tour, I have said this before, you get your money worth when you see a Rush concert, I never feel cheated or that I paid too much.

At least another year of touring and then who knows what they will do next. I still have this wish that they will do a 70's Tour, and one last time play the songs we all know and love from those early albums....Who knows.

I highly recommend attending this tour if you can.....As always it is good to see Rush in concert, they do not disappoint, its one reason I am such a big fan, for as long as I can forsee.

Here are some pics my wife took....Enjoy!

All the stage props are pretty cool too.....although I prefer the sausage machine to this popcorn machine

CA String Ensemble

Alex solo...

The Garden, along with all the lights and screens, very cool!

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:53

I really should get a nicer camera.  Glad that you really enjoyed the show. 

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 11:54
Great review and GREAT PICTURES OMG!  What did your wife take those with?   Looks a lot cleaner than something an iPhone would take, and at least at my show, they made sure to tell us not to take any pictures.  So you lucked out there!

As for the Alex solo before "Halo Effect", I kind of liked it -- though it really just sounded like something any average guitarist could make up on the spot with an open Eastern tuning.  I also preferred the multiple short drum solos rather than one long one.  They almost worked as separate little compositions -- clearly worked out very carefully ahead of time by Neil.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 14 2012 at 11:55
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 12:17
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Great review and GREAT PICTURES OMG!  What did your wife take those with?   Looks a lot cleaner than something an iPhone would take, and at least at my show, they made sure to tell us not to take any pictures.  So you lucked out there!

As for the Alex solo before "Halo Effect", I kind of liked it -- though it really just sounded like something any average guitarist could make up on the spot with an open Eastern tuning.  I also preferred the multiple short drum solos rather than one long one.  They almost worked as separate little compositions -- clearly worked out very carefully ahead of time by Neil.

Its an older Sony H-5 Cybershot, 7.2 megapixels. Normally you can take a better handheld camera as long as it does not have a detachable zoom professional lens......That's what they look for.
She wants a better camera....Sony now makes a 14-16 megapixel I think.

zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 20:10
My wife and I were at the same show, and I agree that Geddy sounded really good, a lot better than the past 2 shows I attended. I also thought the videos were lack luster, but the concert itself was awesome. Favorites were Analog Kid, Red Sector A, and The Pass. Also, the best version of YYZ I've seen live. 
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 09:39
I totally agree with your review Catcher10!   I saw Rush in Dallas (Nov 28).  They were recording a DVD,  so they were  rocking out, and making no mistakes.  I had some pre-show jitters over GL's voice,  but Geddy's voice was spot on, just like you said Catcher10.   And OMG Alex was cracking me up, with his facial commentary on bandmates Geddy and Neil.  I think I saw Neil open his eyes 2 or 3 times.  Neil Peart...best blind drum performance ever!   Congrats to Rush for an amazing show.  And thanks for the fabulous photos Catcher10!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 10:02
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I totally agree with your review Catcher10!   I saw Rush in Dallas (Nov 28).  They were recording a DVD,  so they were  rocking out, and making no mistakes.  I had some pre-show jitters over GL's voice,  but Geddy's voice was spot on, just like you said Catcher10.   And OMG Alex was cracking me up, with his facial commentary on bandmates Geddy and Neil.  I think I saw Neil open his eyes 2 or 3 times.  Neil Peart...best blind drum performance ever!   Congrats to Rush for an amazing show.  And thanks for the fabulous photos Catcher10!

Awesome........Glad you enjoyed your show! The DVD will be another great one to add to my collection.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 03:50
Oddly enough, that was the day I became a Washington resident.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 23:02
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Oddly enough, that was the day I became a Washington resident.
Welcome to the PNW.....
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 01:12
Thanks man. Feels like home.
Arbiter View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2012 at 03:23
Great Pics!  Saw them Sep-30 in Edmonton. Light show reminded me of Genesis shows - incedible.  The strings added nice atmosphere both musically and as part of the stage show.

Hope to see them again in 2013, as they've announced that there will be more North American dates.
"Some things have to be believed to be seen."
-Ralph Hodgson
ProgressiveMike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 18:03
Where did they announce the new North American dates? I would love for them to come down to Denver and do a show. I've never been able to afford Rush tickets, but I can sometimes get free tickets to shows from the record store I work at, depending on the distributor and whether or not the band is promoting a new album etc. The last time I got free tickets was on Nov. 3rd to see Primus 3D! The show was excellent, they played alot from Green Naugahyde but it wasn't really in support of the album. When we got to the will-call window the lady working read our passes, then handed us tickets, special seating instructions, and "after-show" passes! So basically we got to meet Primus, but we kind of blew it because none of us had been in that situation, so Les kind of crept off before we had a chance to thank him for the show and tell him how awesome Green Naugahyde is lol. Still, it was great.
steve j View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 13:58

From Rush's latest newsletter - they wrote: 

"Stay tuned for additional tour announcements for the summer dates that will resume when the band returns from their European leg in June. These will include but not be limited to Hershey, Wantagh, Saratoga, Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Boston, Calgary, Vancouver, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, and will finally see RUSH return to Grand Rapids and Halifax for the first time in decades!

We look forward to seeing you on the road!"

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 14:19
Originally posted by steve j steve j wrote:

From Rush's latest newsletter - they wrote: 

"Stay tuned for additional tour announcements for the summer dates that will resume when the band returns from their European leg in June. These will include but not be limited to Hershey, Wantagh, Saratoga, Chicago, Cincinnati, Milwaukee, Boston, Calgary, Vancouver, Portland, Salt Lake City, Denver, Kansas City, and will finally see RUSH return to Grand Rapids and Halifax for the first time in decades!

We look forward to seeing you on the road!"

Portland probably will be Ridgefield, WA at the Clark County Theater, since it will be summer time.

Maybe I will drive up to Vancouver (assume they mean BC)......one of the best places during the summer.
ProgressiveMike View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 21:55
Thank prog god that Rush is coming to Denver. I can't wait to see them! Hopefully our ticket wizard can hook it up with some free passes. Because then I can spend all my concert money on the wonderful over-priced merch!
bigballz View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 01:41
awesome review, even more impressive camera skillz
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2013 at 22:00
Originally posted by bigballz bigballz wrote:

awesome review, even more impressive camera skillz