Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Let's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member


Joined: June 20 2011
Status: Offline
Points: 338
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 18:22
Great album!

I never did figure out if he killed priest/Mary, or if someone else did, etc. I just never delved into it too deeply.

My favorite track on it has to be 'I Don't Believe In Love', I just think the chord progression sounds cool Smile
Back to Top
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 22 2007
Location: Michigan, U.S.
Status: Online
Points: 49997
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2012 at 10:05
I think that he killed the priest.  In Mindcrime at the Moore, it seems as though Dr. X forced Mary into killing herself because she thought that Dr. X would kill Nikki otherwise.  I haven't caught that part listening to the album, so I am not sure if that is how it sounds or that was an update they did live. I'll have to relisten to that part of the album a little closer.

Edited by rushfan4 - November 18 2012 at 10:07
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: DAC LAND
Status: Offline
Points: 5139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 11:29
Great thread. Yeah, MINDCRIME is still to this day my favourite conceptual album. It's absolutely brilliant and I love how Geoff Tate got the inspiration at an old church In MONTRČAL to write the lyrics and come up with story itself. I was in Montrčal last weekend and I thought of that. :)
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)
Back to Top
infocat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Heavy Prog Team

Joined: June 10 2011
Location: Colorado, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 3688
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infocat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 21:47
I've "changed my mind".  I listened to it the other day and it really is quite a wonderful album.  A bit long, but that's about the only bad thing that can be said.
(Even inspired me to change my sig.)
Frank Swarbrick

--

Belief is not Truth.

Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: DAC LAND
Status: Offline
Points: 5139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2012 at 22:07
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Curious your thoughts on the concept.  I believe that the gist of the story is that Nikki becomes a hit man for Dr. X who is the leader of the revolution.  The idea being that the underground intends to overthrow the corrupt 1%.  It appears as though Nikki has carried out various hits for Dr. X.   Dr. X orders Nikki to kill the nun, Mary, as well as the priest, Father William, because they know too much.  Not sure if they were part of the revolution, or if Nikki had confided in them about what he had done, and by so doing they became a liability.  Mary had worked as a prostitute and Father William had "saved her from the streets", but "he takes her once a week on the alter like a sacrifice", which I assume means that the Father is being unpriestly.  Nikki does kill the priest, but he tells Mary that he was sent to kill her and that he wants to run away with her.  He tells Dr. X that he quits, and of course Dr. X tells him that he can't quit.  When Nikki gets back to Mary he finds her dead. (I believe that Dr. X had her killed and that Nikki didn't do it, unless he did it through mind control.  Anyhow, he gets arrested.  He doesn't believe in love, and he is placed in a straight jacket and placed on sedatives.       



Is there a hidden story behind the story?  Did these things really happen or is he just insane?  Did he do these things because he was on drugs? 



 

I'm curious how others interpret the story.


Yup. You got it. You know what's happening for sure. ;) it's such a great story and it's so politically charged. You can really feel what's going on in the music story wise. Very few concept albums out there really make you feel as engaged of what's happening in a story in relation to the music. I can only think of a few others that do. 1) THE HUMAN EQUATION 2) SCENES OF A MEMORY. 3) SAVIOUR MACHINE's LEGEND PT1-3 Those are true concept albums, but MINDCRIME really takes the crown for me as being #1. Also. The video's are great too! Oh and FYI those eye brows of dr. X's are real!! Lol
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)
Back to Top
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: May 22 2007
Location: Michigan, U.S.
Status: Online
Points: 49997
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 17:41

Speak to me....the pain you feel....speak to me....the pain you feel...speak the word...the word is all of us...Revolution.

 
Given this album another listen.  It is just so good.
Back to Top
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: October 09 2005
Location: Mrs. Henry
Status: Offline
Points: 9072
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2013 at 20:56
Most played album as a teenager. Good concept, great songs. Favorite : Eyes of a Stranger.
Excuse-moi d'casser ton fun mais j'me cherche une rime pour automne
Back to Top
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: September 03 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 4375
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2013 at 19:06

I dude I used to work with was massively in to Queensryche.  He lent me a stack of their CD's to listen to, Operation Mindcrime being one of them.  I didn't really get into them - they reminded me of 'hair-metal' albeit with considerable chops.........

Back to Top
Xerath101 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: February 10 2013
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Points: 5
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xerath101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 09:55
I will always love this album. Make sure to give Operation LIVEcrime a try. Has fantastic production and is performed flawlessly. Also pick up the DVD version!
Back to Top
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: February 10 2010
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 3492
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 13:42
It's the only album I got from them, not too bad but a bit too hair-metal for my taste too, had it been released in 1980 it could have impressed me more but by the time it came out it felt like that kind of stuff was already over for me.
Back to Top
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Avatar
Post/Math Rock Team

Joined: January 20 2011
Location: Somewhere Else
Status: Offline
Points: 14891
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horizons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 14:46
Never heard it, i have no interest in doing so either though.

Edited by Horizons - February 10 2013 at 14:46
I Will Write Peace All Over Your Wings And You Will Fly Around The World
Back to Top
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: February 06 2004
Location: France
Status: Offline
Points: 7930
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 15:36
'O: M' is good, but 'rage for order' remains their best though.
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
Back to Top
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Prog Metal and Heavy Prog Teams

Joined: November 11 2005
Location: Rotherham, UK
Status: Offline
Points: 7214
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2013 at 16:27
^ Lucas has a point, Rage for Order is the proggiest

My favs from O:M are The Mission and Suite Sister Mary
"Prog Heavy Petting" show - every Monday 7-9pm UK time on http://www.justincaseradio.com, the first progressive radio in Greece
Back to Top
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team

Joined: January 24 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Status: Offline
Points: 9684
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Bearded Bard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 14:37
Watched the Operation: LIVEcrime DVD again the other day. On the 2001 edition, that I have, there's a bonus feature I hadn't watched before, a libretto, called The LIVEcrime Story, that goes thrugh the story stage by stage, though not too detailed, it still leaves some things too the imagination.

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Dr. X orders Nikki to kill the nun, Mary, as well as the priest, Father William, because they know too much. Not sure if they were part of the revolution, or if Nikki had confided in them about what he had done, and by so doing they became a liability.
In the libretto it says about Mary that she was introduced by Father William to DR. X when she was eighteen, and that "now she works for him".

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Mary had worked as a prostitute and Father William had "saved her from the streets", but "he takes her once a week on the alter like a sacrifice", which I assume means that the Father is being unpriestly. Nikki does kill the priest, but he tells Mary that he was sent to kill her and that he wants to run away with her. He tells Dr. X that he quits, and of course Dr. X tells him that he can't quit. When Nikki gets back to Mary he finds her dead. (I believe that Dr. X had her killed and that Nikki didn't do it, unless he did it through mind control.
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I think that he killed the priest. In Mindcrime at the Moore, it seems as though Dr. X forced Mary into killing herself because she thought that Dr. X would kill Nikki otherwise. I haven't caught that part listening to the album, so I am not sure if that is how it sounds or that was an update they did live. I'll have to relisten to that part of the album a little closer.
Yes, he kills the priest, but he doesn't kill Mary, I think. I always thought it was DR. X who got Mary killed, but, according to the libretto, after Nikki leaves to kill DR. X, "Mary is plagued by vision of Nikki's turning into Father William...Once, she thought Nikki was her hope. But now he seemed like all the rest...(of the) men who had used her, degraded and beaten her, and driven their hatred and coldness into her heart". When Nikki returns from his unsuccessful meating with DR. X "he finds her dead in her room". This does suggest suicide, but perhaps for a different reason than the one you say is given in Mindcrime at the Moore; grief.

The libretto says nothing that suggests DR. X forced Mary into killing herself, so it's probably, as you say, an update they did live, unless some answers aren given in O:M II, haven't heard that one.

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Is there a hidden story behind the story? Did these things really happen or is he just insane? Did he do these things because he was on drugs?
Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

I always thought it could be insanity. That's one interpretation.
Yeah, it could be drugs or insanity, or both.

Originally posted by Alitare Alitare wrote:

The entire album is supposed to take place between the span of a single minute in the mind of the main character, Nikki. The idea is that he relives these mad visions each minute for years.
Yeah, it seams like it. The libretto starts at 6.00 PM and ends on 6.01 PM where it says "I remember now" under a picture of DR. X, so that suggests it starts all over again.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - September 02 2013 at 14:41
Back to Top
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 18 2009
Location: Mexico
Status: Offline
Points: 4888
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2013 at 22:27
I've been getting some more prog metal recently (before I mainly only knew Dream Theater, and some Ayreon, and if you consider them prog metal, bands like Rhapsody, Nightwish, Epica, etc, though I didn't get them because of any prog metal credentials). However, I just got some Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Haken, Symphony X. Besides getting a few more albums from this same bands, one of the things I have next in my to get list is this very album because of it's reputation (and Tool's "Laterallus" too, I guess).
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: DAC LAND
Status: Offline
Points: 5139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 00:59
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:


Never heard it, i have no interest in doing so either though.


Oh mr. New math...what's wrong, you afraid you might love something from 1988?
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: DAC LAND
Status: Offline
Points: 5139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 01:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I've been getting some more prog metal recently (before I mainly only knew Dream Theater, and some Ayreon, and if you consider them prog metal, bands like Rhapsody, Nightwish, Epica, etc, though I didn't get them because of any prog metal credentials). However, I just got some Pain of Salvation, Riverside, Haken, Symphony X. Besides getting a few more albums from this same bands, one of the things I have next in my to get list is this very album because of it's reputation (and Tool's "Laterallus" too, I guess).


On the right track mr. Dude Dellinger.

Hey. Check out Animals as Leaders, Devin Townsend and Agalloch.
More on the experimental side of prog metal, but I'm sure it'll blow your hair back. ;)
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: DAC LAND
Status: Offline
Points: 5139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 01:06
I like the 1991 live album performance of Mindcrime the best....it's Livecrime!
Nothing beats it, bit even the studio version of the album. ;)
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)
Back to Top
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: July 30 2012
Location: DAC LAND
Status: Offline
Points: 5139
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 01:08
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I like the 1991 live album performance of Mindcrime the best....it's Livecrime!
Nothing beats it, bit even the studio version of the album. ;)


Sorry meant to say 'better than.' f**king auto correct. Lol
The holy triforce of sound: DAC+AMP+Headphones = sonic joy and perfection for your music. ;)
Back to Top
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: January 15 2013
Location: Oregon, USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1764
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metalmarsh89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 02:12
I've never heard this album, nor any Queensryche except for the current radio staples. Generally good reviews?
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.