Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 14:44
One of my favourite albums of all time. Just brilliant.

I usually listen all the way through.
Faves are Eyes of a Stranger, Needle Lies and Spreading the Disease.

Edited by menawati - November 16 2012 at 14:46
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 14:24
Good album, and one of the first essential albums in Progressive Metal. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it is very good.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 12:35
I'm listening to it for the first time right now.  It's rockin' and catchy.  No idea what the concept is about, but musically it's fun and engaging. And the singer sounds a little like Rob Halford, which is cool too.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 16 2012 at 12:36
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 12:21
The only Queensr˙che album I've heard. It's a really good album, IMO, but I feel it loses some steam after The Needle Lies which it doesn't pick up again until the last song, Eyes of a Stranger. Track 1-9 and 15 are excellent though.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 10:56
I bought this album when it originally came out, having already owned their first two releases.  Honestly?  Though I thought the concept was very interesting, I found the album itself to be a bit lacking compared to their previous.  Not exactly sure why.  Maybe I was a bit annoyed at it obviously being a metal version of The Wall.  I haven't listened to it in quite a while, so I probably should do that before I comment further!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 09:31
A while back I started a series of threads which tried to promote a discussion about newly released albums that may or may not have been well known in hopes of bringing these albums to the attention of PA forum members, and also in hopes of doing a sort of "book of the month" discussion about these albums.  These threads met with limited success with most of them only receiving minimal participation, but I think that those who regularly participated in them did get some enjoyment out of them, and some people may even have discovered albums that they may otherwise not have known about.  I am considering revisiting that concept in the future, but for the time being, I have decided to try something new and maybe create a series of discussion threads to discuss "classic" albums. 

Anyone who pays any attention to the "What Am I Listening To Now?" threads has probably noticed my recent Queensr˙che marathon and being in that state of mind I have decided to try out this thread concept with their classic spy concept album Operation: Mindcrime.  I think that many, if not most, forum members are familiar with this album, and that it is generally considered to be Queensr˙che's best album.  Why is this?  Is it the music?  Is it the concept? Is it Geoff Tate's golden pipes?  Is it because of sexual fantasies involving nuns and guns?   

At any rate my hope is that maybe this thread will result in a nice interactive discussion regarding this album and its place in prog rock/metal history.  Your feelings.  Your thoughts on the concept.  Your thoughts on your enjoyment or disappointment with Part 2.  Favorite individual tracks and whether or not they should be heard separately or whether it is a requirement to listen to the whole album.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234