Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Let's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLet's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Let's Talk About Queensr˙che -Operation: Mindcrime
    Posted: November 16 2012 at 09:31
A while back I started a series of threads which tried to promote a discussion about newly released albums that may or may not have been well known in hopes of bringing these albums to the attention of PA forum members, and also in hopes of doing a sort of "book of the month" discussion about these albums.  These threads met with limited success with most of them only receiving minimal participation, but I think that those who regularly participated in them did get some enjoyment out of them, and some people may even have discovered albums that they may otherwise not have known about.  I am considering revisiting that concept in the future, but for the time being, I have decided to try something new and maybe create a series of discussion threads to discuss "classic" albums. 

Anyone who pays any attention to the "What Am I Listening To Now?" threads has probably noticed my recent Queensr˙che marathon and being in that state of mind I have decided to try out this thread concept with their classic spy concept album Operation: Mindcrime.  I think that many, if not most, forum members are familiar with this album, and that it is generally considered to be Queensr˙che's best album.  Why is this?  Is it the music?  Is it the concept? Is it Geoff Tate's golden pipes?  Is it because of sexual fantasies involving nuns and guns?   

At any rate my hope is that maybe this thread will result in a nice interactive discussion regarding this album and its place in prog rock/metal history.  Your feelings.  Your thoughts on the concept.  Your thoughts on your enjoyment or disappointment with Part 2.  Favorite individual tracks and whether or not they should be heard separately or whether it is a requirement to listen to the whole album.

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 10:56
I bought this album when it originally came out, having already owned their first two releases.  Honestly?  Though I thought the concept was very interesting, I found the album itself to be a bit lacking compared to their previous.  Not exactly sure why.  Maybe I was a bit annoyed at it obviously being a metal version of The Wall.  I haven't listened to it in quite a while, so I probably should do that before I comment further!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 12:21
The only Queensr˙che album I've heard. It's a really good album, IMO, but I feel it loses some steam after The Needle Lies which it doesn't pick up again until the last song, Eyes of a Stranger. Track 1-9 and 15 are excellent though.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 12:35
I'm listening to it for the first time right now.  It's rockin' and catchy.  No idea what the concept is about, but musically it's fun and engaging. And the singer sounds a little like Rob Halford, which is cool too.

Edited by HolyMoly - November 16 2012 at 12:36
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 14:24
Good album, and one of the first essential albums in Progressive Metal. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it is very good.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 14:44
One of my favourite albums of all time. Just brilliant.

I usually listen all the way through.
Faves are Eyes of a Stranger, Needle Lies and Spreading the Disease.

Edited by menawati - November 16 2012 at 14:46
They flutter behind you your possible pasts,
Some bright-eyed and crazy, some frightened and lost.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 14:59
One of the first albums I ever fell in love with. I like each song. My favorites would be Speak, Spreading the Disease, The Needle Lies and Eyes of a Stranger.

Lately I've grown to prefer Promised Land, but I'll always enjoy playing Mindcrime through from beginning to end. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:09

Curious your thoughts on the concept.  I believe that the gist of the story is that Nikki becomes a hit man for Dr. X who is the leader of the revolution.  The idea being that the underground intends to overthrow the corrupt 1%.  It appears as though Nikki has carried out various hits for Dr. X.   Dr. X orders Nikki to kill the nun, Mary, as well as the priest, Father William, because they know too much.  Not sure if they were part of the revolution, or if Nikki had confided in them about what he had done, and by so doing they became a liability.  Mary had worked as a prostitute and Father William had "saved her from the streets", but "he takes her once a week on the alter like a sacrifice", which I assume means that the Father is being unpriestly.  Nikki does kill the priest, but he tells Mary that he was sent to kill her and that he wants to run away with her.  He tells Dr. X that he quits, and of course Dr. X tells him that he can't quit.  When Nikki gets back to Mary he finds her dead. (I believe that Dr. X had her killed and that Nikki didn't do it, unless he did it through mind control.  Anyhow, he gets arrested.  He doesn't believe in love, and he is placed in a straight jacket and placed on sedatives.       

Is there a hidden story behind the story?  Did these things really happen or is he just insane?  Did he do these things because he was on drugs? 

I'm curious how others interpret the story.
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:13
I always thought it could be insanity. That's one interpretation. The entire album is supposed to take place between the span of a single minute in the mind of the main character, Nikki. The idea is that he relives these mad visions each minute for years. I think many of the songs could be taken without the overall concept. 'Speak' is a vicious (but real vague) political attack. Always liked that line 'burn the white-house down'. They already tried that, but hey!
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:31
Gotta admit I never analysed the concept much, it's the jabbing riffs, great melodies, killer solos, Geoff in top form and overall consistency from start to finish that made me love it.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 15:40
I've always liked the idea of the concept but can't say that I had really ever fully got it.  I certainly agree that I have always enjoyed the overall sound.
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 16:54
I consider it to be one of the few QR's albums that deserve multiple listens, if not the only. 
menawati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2012 at 18:05
For anyone who likes classic period Queensryche check Lethal out they were excellent and very similair in some ways.

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 08:38
Not bad.  Kind of had an early Iron Maiden sound too. 
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 08:44
I only have Empire :(, but i got the Operation Mindcrime concert on DVD

Edited by aginor - November 17 2012 at 08:45
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 08:59
That's cool.  I don't have the DVD but intend on getting at least one of their live shows.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 09:24
Operation Mindcrime and Empire is rated equal on Allmusic, 4/5 star Approve
CCVP View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 11:16
There's nothing to talk about, really. 

Except that it is a groundbreaking, timeless and one of the best progressive metal albums EVER.
Ytse_Jam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 16:22
Crimson Glory is also a must for Queensryche fans.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2012 at 17:41
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Good album, and one of the first essential albums in Progressive Metal. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but it is very good.

+1

I second this opinion!

Their tour with Dream Theater was excellent ... and that rendition of Who Are You, was tops ... and one of the few renditions of The Who, that are worth hearing.

PS: I honestly do not like the label "progressive metal" ... why? ... if you listen to Gong's You, on side 2, you have the same thing ... loud rock music ... just missing the compression and the lousy drumming, of course! And there is a lot of Hawkwind that would/could/should be considered "progressive metal" as well ... but suggesting that Mindcrime's lyrics are more important than Hawkwind's ... is scary ... they are all good in their own way ... specially when it is at least 25 years apart!

Edited by moshkito - November 17 2012 at 17:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>