Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Electric Light Orchestra, are they really Prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Light Orchestra, are they really Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 18:10
Originally posted by Green Shield Stamp Green Shield Stamp wrote:

I suppose they are Prog Pop if such a category exists.

Crossover
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
jerrycornelius View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 03:57
my opinion: Progpop or prog-related... in the beginning prog-influenced
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:24
You know, I grew up on E.L.O. - my older sister and folks always lapping up 'A New World Record',  'Out of the Blue', and 'Time' on a regular basis. I have a sentimental attachment to 'Time' (always spinning the cassette of it during our Summer camps in my younger years) and later on discovering the 'early stuff' which proved to be a real winner for me.  And I never found 'Eldorado' any good for my tastes, not then, not now................it just was (and remains) totally douche.........sorry  to offend..................Laredo Tornado....give me a break......................
BTW - my favourite tune (bar Battle of Marston Moor) would have to be................'Ticket To The Moon' (I will always recall that track as a 10 year old in 1982 at Thunder Point, Warrnambool,  staring at ancient agave flowers and later fossicking for shells on the shore........it just sticks with me.........) Still, E.L.O. = 'Crossover' for sure.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:59
Their first three albums are Prog. I don't consider Eldorado to be Prog myself, but it is Art Rock.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:18
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Their first three albums are Prog. I don't consider Eldorado to be Prog myself, but it is Art Rock.
So right, Master Dean................
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 08:27

Its possible I would think diffrent today, but back then i thought of ELO as the worst kind of mainstream Semi-rock, along the lines of Bee Gee's. I havent been listning to ELO since the 70's mainstream radio.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 08:30
Trust me, E.L.O. are worlds away from the Bee Gees...............
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 08:37
Originally posted by theadolescentprogger theadolescentprogger wrote:

Oh primarily stuff that would be on their best of. And I have yet to listen to some of their classic albums.

It's understandable why you would question their inclusion here, having only heard their greatest hits. Eldorado is a great concept album, and some of the arrangements are pretty progressive. They are definitely on the more mainstream side of prog, which is why they are in Crossover, but I do think they belong and I love them dearly.

Favorite songs? I have always been partial to "Jungle."
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 08:48
I don't have a quibble with them here.  Personal taste wise though "Face the Music" was the last album I could listen to, and Eldorado is the only one I listen to now at all.  After that they just started to recycle that little twiddly bit on the violin all the time.  It always irked me how much critics, especially American ones, hated the Moody Blues and loved ELO, if you consider that "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band" basically formed the template for the breakthrough ELO sound.

Edited by kenethlevine - November 28 2012 at 08:53
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 09:58
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Its possible I would think diffrent today, but back then i thought of ELO as the worst kind of mainstream Semi-rock, along the lines of Bee Gee's. I havent been listning to ELO since the 70's mainstream radio.

Then you "missed" the first three albums as they were seldom heard on the radio.
What?
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 10:43

Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

Then you "missed" the first three albums as they were seldom heard on the radio.
Yes, 1976 and later. Must have been what I heard
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 15:01

Roll Over Beethoven ... is prog?

Hmmm ... we have to have a talk with Chuck about that! The only progressive thing he would talk about, of course, was always in his pants and about young girls!   Embarrassed   Big smile

Agreed, however, the first 3 albums deserve the credit. Eldorado, is much more schmoozy and quite obviously radio oriented ... but it is magnificent and beautifully done.

(Sorry ... couldn't help it! Shocked)

Btw, Dean ... I can't find a CD of Roy Wood's Eddie and the Falcons ... if you carouse a few used CD stores, can you grab me a copy, or a cheap one over there? Roy's solo albums are much more progressive, and sometimes they are a difficult listen, because you have no idea what all this is about ... but Mustard is fabulous, and I thought that Eddie and the Falcons was the best 50's and 60's satire ever done! 

Edited by moshkito - December 01 2012 at 15:06
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 15:48
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Trust me, E.L.O. are worlds away from the Bee Gees...............

First three albums progressive for sure..........worlds away from the Bee Gees? Not so sure :-) Again any comparison against the pop slick Bee Gees must stand testimony to ELO's qualitySmile
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
ProgEpics View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 17:18
ELO is prog just like chicago is prog. Both had hits but both could play their instruments really well. ELO was more interesting with their chord progressions than the complexity. Im one of those guys who believes the beach boys albums "pet sounds" and "smile" were progressive so maybe im just a sucker for song writers.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 17:39
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Roll Over Beethoven ... is prog?
Chuckles Belly didn't stretch it out to 8 minutes and incorporate any actual Beethoven in it. Nor did he record it onto an album that also contained Kuiama ... not that in doing so would make it prog by association any more than Jeremy Bender, Are You Ready Eddy?, Nutrocker, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. are prog by association.

No, of course Roll Over Beethoven isn't prog.

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Btw, Dean ... I can't find a CD of Roy Wood's Eddie and the Falcons ... if you carouse a few used CD stores, can you grab me a copy, or a cheap one over there? Roy's solo albums are much more progressive, and sometimes they are a difficult listen, because you have no idea what all this is about ... but Mustard is fabulous, and I thought that Eddie and the Falcons was the best 50's and 60's satire ever done! 
LOL we have none of those old fangled CD stores over here and if we did they'd not be cheap, it's all interwbes now.
What?
Kestrel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 18:09
I put them under "Prog Lite" along with Queen, Styx, Supertramp, Alan Parson Project, and some others. I wouldn't consider this an "objective" genre assignment by any means, but it's how I generally view them when I want to listen to these bands.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 20:34
I agree on prog lite, and its interesting how some prog lite bands are in Crossover Prog, and others in Prog Related only.
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 09:14
At the time we called it Art Rock. They were a great progressive pop/rock band, so fit perfectly into what we call Crossover here.

Actually, they were one of the first bands whose music I started buying, and I have always had a soft spot for them.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 09:46
I'm not very familiar with them, but I think a crossover designation is fine, and they were one addition I didn't object to.  I've actually kind of come around to all the additions I objected to initially, since they are categorized in a way that makes it clear they are not "pure" prog.  Of course, as mentioned previously, very few of the 70's prog "greats" can be categorized as "pure" prog when you take their entire discographies into account.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2012 at 09:51
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

I'm not very familiar with them, but I think a crossover designation is fine, and they were one addition I didn't object to.  I've actually kind of come around to all the additions I objected to initially, since they are categorized in a way that makes it clear they are not "pure" prog.  Of course, as mentioned previously, very few of the 70's prog "greats" can be categorized as "pure" prog when you take their entire discographies into account.

Please, let's not have a debate about what constitutes "pure prog". It has been flogged to death, will attract a lot of nonsensical posts, and leave absolutely nobody any the wiser.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>