Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Electric Light Orchestra, are they really Prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedElectric Light Orchestra, are they really Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 00:40
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

They are as prog as Queen Stern Smile

That, Richard, is a most astute observation!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2014 at 11:18
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I keep getting Electric Light Orchestra and Emerson, Lake & Palmer confused with each other. Probably because their abbrevations are just next to each other in the alphabet.
LOLLOLLOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 08:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

I keep getting Electric Light Orchestra and Emerson, Lake & Palmer confused with each other. Probably because their abbrevations are just next to each other in the alphabet.
LOLLOLLOL

LOLLOLLOL
LOL

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 08:52
What I love about the band is even though the music and songs are cheery, there is an insane desire for complete control from Jeff Lynne! Which is obviously why he re-recorded "Xaunadu so he could get rid of the co-producer credit.
It was reported when he was in the move with Roy Wood there would be pushing of who led the band on the stage by coming on last.
If ELO are Prog then this means they were my first Prog act as I grew up with only sides 3 & 4 of Out Of The Blue.

But I just wanted to point out how I'd hate to have worked for Jeff as he would have driven me mad! Despite the end result being worth listening to. 
Maybe the reason they always sound great on the radio is because the listeners don't know the arguments and pressure Jeff Lynne was under when making them?

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:16
Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

It was reported when he was in the move with Roy Wood there would be pushing of who led the band on the stage by coming on last.
That's pretty funny, if that's true.   Egos can be amusing to watch in action.  They can be kind of sickening too.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:07
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by AZF AZF wrote:

That's pretty funny, if that's true.   Egos can be amusing to watch in action.  They can be kind of sickening too.
But they sometimes create the greatest music. Lennon and McCarney had a healthy ego battle when they composed songs in order to out do each other and get an A-side on a single. Ego's don't often have to be a negative in the early years of a band but watch out later on. The Beatles, again, for example and Pink Floyd, of course.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:59
The last thread on ELO featured negative comments/opinions about "No Answer". I was very thrown off about a hundred degree level across 5 football fields. I  don't get it!...(Tom Hanks' remark in "Big"). The Jeff Lynne songs are Beatles influenced of course, however.."Look At Me Now" is a song that could have fit nicely on Gentle Giant's In A Glass House. Listen to the backing sections of the strings and how reminiscent the lead vocal style is to Derek Shulman's. Then we have a track titled "Manhattan Rumble (49th street)" which is directly tied into the style of instrumental composition that can be heard on early Gentle Giant releases. It doesn't display the presence of counterpoint, but it contains the exact same approach in style. The piece also has an influence of King Crimson somewhere along the border and after being a Prog fanatic for decades...I can't possibly be dismissive of that easily conceived observation. "The Battle Of Marston (July 2nd, 1644)" is just bizzare and Prog related because of it's theatrical presence. So...there you have it!..3 songs from this album that are genuine Prog oriented constructed pieces. It confuses me as to why sooooooo many people dislike it. I believe ELO could have done a brilliant album on the subject of Edgar Allan Poe, just as Alan Parsons did in the 70's . I believe their commercial growth out did their thoughts to giving any further effort to be progressive.

Edited by TODDLER - October 23 2014 at 13:32
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 12:07
I never made the connection between "No Answer" and Gentle Giant before, but you're right.  The approach to string instruments (both performance-wise and compositionally) is very similar.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
AreYouHuman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 23:10
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

The last thread on ELO featured negative comments/opinions about "No Answer". I was very thrown off about a hundred degree level across 5 football fields. I  don't get it!...(Tom Hanks' remark in "Big"). The Jeff Lynne songs are Beatles influenced of course, however.."Look At Me Now" is a song that could have fit nicely on Gentle Giant's In A Glass House. Listen to the backing sections of the strings and how reminiscent the lead vocal style is to Derek Shulman's. Then we have a track titled "Manhattan Rumble (49th street)" which is directly tied into the style of instrumental composition that can be heard on early Gentle Giant releases. It doesn't display the presence of counterpoint, but it contains the exact same approach in style. The piece also has an influence of King Crimson somewhere along the border and after being a Prog fanatic for decades...I can't possibly be dismissive of that easily conceived observation. "The Battle Of Marston (July 2nd, 1644)" is just bizzare and Prog related because of it's theatrical presence. So...there you have it!..3 songs from this album that are genuine Prog oriented constructed pieces. It confuses me as to why sooooooo many people dislike it. I believe ELO could have done a brilliant album on the subject of Edgar Allen Poe, just as Alan Parsons did in the 70's . I believe their commercial growth out did their thoughts to giving any further effort to be progressive.

So, so astute.  I’ve long considered it one of those albums that has a unique feel to it that’s never been duplicated, and in the best way.  It’s almost enough to make you wish they did another one like it, but then of course it wouldn’t be unique. Clap

Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234