12 [46.15%]
14 [53.85%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2012 at 16:50
Both are good, but Norway reigns supreme.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 16:48
Always Greek mythology.
Everyone is going to visit Hades after death, but, at least, Greeks weren't waiting for some apocalypse ą la Ragnarok.
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 17:10
Haven't those mythologies, together with Celtic, Slavonic, Indo-Persian, etc, the same substrate or the same origin? I mean, peoples that lived in a certain area between Europe and Asia and are identified for sharing the same culture and speaking a common language, labelled the Proto-Indo European (PIE).

Later they dispersed and each mythology evolved separately but at least for me they are similar since they had the same craddle, dealing basically with anthropomorphic or zoomorphic characters.

Quite different are the mythologies of Americans (the originals) or some African peoples where the 'heroes' are associated with the powers of Nature: Sun, Moon, clouds, thunderbolts, rainbows and so on.

Guigo

~~~~~~
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 18:31
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Haven't those mythologies, together with Celtic, Slavonic, Indo-Persian, etc, the same substrate or the same origin? I mean, peoples that lived in a certain area between Europe and Asia and are identified for sharing the same culture and speaking a common language, labelled the Proto-Indo European (PIE).

Later they dispersed and each mythology evolved separately but at least for me they are similar since they had the same craddle, dealing basically with anthropomorphic or zoomorphic characters.

Quite different are the mythologies of Americans (the originals) or some African peoples where the 'heroes' are associated with the powers of Nature: Sun, Moon, clouds, thunderbolts, rainbows and so on.

The Greek and Norse gods were also associated with the powers of nature. Similarities in mythologies have a lot  to do with the thought processes of humans that invented them and how they use those processes to answer questions such as how does the Sun move across the sky, and that alone presents such a limited number of options and possibilities that the chances of separate populations arriving at the same solution (a Sun god - Sol, Sunna, Helios, Apollo, Awondo, Ra, Sekmet, Bast, Aten, Tonatiuh,  Ri Gong Ri Guang Pu Sa, Tai Yang Shen, Surya, Amaterasu) is quite high. The same is true of creation myths, and here it is the differences between the various mythologies are just as informative - The Norse gods created the Universe whereas the Greek gods were created by the Universe - here two possible options and they picked different solutions.

Regardless of when homo sapiens migrated into the Americas (30,000 or 14,000 years ago) they were the same as us in every physical way, with the same brain capacity and the same speech abilities for memory and story-telling, it is possible that the mythologies migrated out of Africa with them.
What?
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2012 at 18:45

Yes, all the Indo-European mythologies, as well as languages, have had the same common origins.

Though in every mythology gods are simply personificated powers of nature. The concept of anthropomorphic gods came pretty lately.
This night wounds time.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 02:23
Originally posted by ole-the-first ole-the-first wrote:

Yes, all the Indo-European mythologies, as well as languages, have had the same common origins.

Though in every mythology gods are simply personificated powers of nature. The concept of anthropomorphic gods came pretty lately.
When you live in tribes, with a flat structure, You will have mostly Gods of nature.
Moon, Sun, River, Thunder, Old Tree, Ocean, Mountain.

When you move into a more complex city based systemj (like the times of the known Norse & Greek myth) 
You still have nature gods, but more complex gods are added, God of Trade, God of poetry, Gods of War, God of justice, ect.

Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 04:12
you have two types of pantheons in pre germanic north mythology, you have the Ęsir and the Vanir, Vanir was the North germanic and Ęsir was the western germanic, but in year 700 the continentual germanic was intruduced to the norther tribes, Ęsirs were a more war based and agressive pantheon of gods, while Vanir was a more nature loving and spiritual dietys, but they were fused together after this war Ęsir-Vanir War.
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 05:02
It seems to me that the Vanir was the tribal set of God - where fertility/wisdom is the important aspects of life.
But noone knows for sure. 
Might also be 2 diffrent clans with diffrent religions melting together.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
Brynhild View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 04:07
Hey!

Definitly norse mythology!
If you guys are also interested in old norse myths and want to know more, I invite you to visit this FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreams-of-Valhalla/167530103397698

an iPad app will follow, and this is gonna be awesome!

Have fun, :)

Brynhild!
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 04:16
Norse
and welcome to the forum Brynhild
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 08:08
Hmmmm -

Norse:

Bloody hell, Madonna's let herself go...

Greek:

Me vote Greek.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 08:23
^ best post ever ClapLOL
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 08:36
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Hmmmm -

Norse:

Bloody hell, Madonna's let herself go...

Greek:

Me vote Greek.

Yeah, but the last picture is a drawing. It would be better to have a recent photograph.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2013 at 12:02
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Yeah, but the last picture is a drawing. It would be better to have a recent photograph.

I would, but since an incident in her temple, there's a bit of a restraining order on me

AS FAR AS I WAS CONCERNED, I WAS WORSHIPPING HER!

Edited by Jim Garten - March 20 2013 at 12:02

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12