Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeardfish - The Void

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beardfish - The Void
    Posted: November 25 2012 at 01:32
Have Beardfish gone all dodgey and heavy ??  With the occasional growl, the monstrous, low-register bass and heavy riffing, this new album was a real punch-in-the-face for me, though it's getting better the more I listen.  Quite a leap in another direction from 'Mammoth' (which I love dearly).  I'm curious to hear some peoples opinions on 'The Void'. 
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 01:42
Great album, great playing, VILE cover!

The added heaviness on a few tracks still contain all the usual inventive and sprightly playing present on the other Beardfish albums, and Rikard Sjöblom is still probably one of the best younger modern progressive singers. Along with Neal Morse, Beardfish also have a very strong melodic skill in the singing and catchy musical melodies.

`The Void' is not nearly as heavy as you first think on the initial couple of listens, and the frequently complained about growling is only really about ten or fifteen seconds of the whole album. Pretty acceptable, really!

If anything it's the LYRICS that are the darkest and heaviest element of the album.

Well done, Beardfish, the album just gets better and better with each play!
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 01:54
The album really grew on me over the last few months. Wasn't really into it except for a couple of songs, but it's beauty reveals itself after many listens, unlike Mammoth which I immediately enjoyed. I don't know if it's better then the band's previous 3 albums, maybe 4, but it shows the band wants to evolve.
Master of Time View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2012 at 18:47
I love the Void quote a lot. I never really liked Mammoth except for maybe 2 songs. It did take a while to warm up to, but I now love this album, and probably rank it as my fourth favorite from the Beards. (With Destined Solitaire and the Sleeping in Traffics above it.)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:04

Ohhhhhh, no-one wants to comment on this new Beardfish album ???

I've listened to this beast a few more times over the last few days and I'm lovin' it.  It has somehow re-awakened the 'rebel' in me - some of it is truly heavy (and gives former, established artists in the same genre a run for their money) but these guys definately know their sh*t, and why not try something different ?.............  Hats off........
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:09
I Love it when bands take a darker, more moody approach to their music. It's what the world needs. BeardFish has been too soft for me in the past. Too much like Neal Morse if you ask me, so I am anxious to check out this new release from them.

....I can see it now. Bearded Fish with bullet belts on!!! Lol
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:14
Dude, it's the damn `Dude that looks like the weird Japanese guy from Can in a dark fetish pose' front cover that's putting people off, I guarantee!

(We must be real masochists - we both bought the LARGER vinyl version!)

If only Roger Dean had been on hand to save the day, I think more people might be giving it a shot!

OK, I sort of joke, but I think the `edgy moody' cover they chose just scared people off fearing a total `change of direction', which, despite the harder elements present in some spots, the album is not some radical rethink or change of sound.

Just one of so many albums from this year that have revealed their charms by committing to listen to them over and over and finding their strengths.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:31
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

I Love it when bands take a darker, more moody approach to their music. It's what the world needs. BeardFish has been too soft for me in the past. Too much like Neal Morse if you ask me, so I am anxious to check out this new release from them.

....I can see it now. Bearded Fish with bullet belts on!!! Lol
You shan't be disappointed - this album, despite a rather 'vulgar' cover-art (I prefer Roger Dean imagery....) is an honestly superb album.  I know what you say about them being 'soft' - Mammoth suit me to a 'T' (or 'Tea'.....or 'Tee' - whatever it is) so this was a shock, and big enough for me to start a thread......however, it's a KILLER album, and puts many to shame..............
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Dude, it's the damn `Dude that looks like the weird Japanese guy from Can in a dark fetish pose' front cover that's putting people off, I guarantee!

(We must be real masochists - we both bought the LARGER vinyl version!)

If only Roger Dean had been on hand to save the day, I think more people might be giving it a shot!

OK, I sort of joke, but I think the `edgy moody' cover they chose just scared people off fearing a total `change of direction', which, despite the harder elements present in some spots, the album is not some radical rethink or change of sound.

Just one of so many albums from this year that have revealed their charms by committing to listen to them over and over and finding their strengths.
Oh Aussie Byrd,
you made me kack myself to near-death.............Damo Suzuki in fetish pose..............you really want to kill me ???DeadDeadDeadDead.
Yes, 'The Void' is growing on me BIG TIME, just like 'Chicago 16' - yep, the commercial, 'arena-rock' album from 1982, with 'Hard To Say I'm Sorry'............just to provide an extreme contrast................
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:41
Yep, give it a shot, Progbethyname! Love to know what you think of `The Void'!

If you wanted to try a heavier Morse album, give his album `Sola Scriptura' a go! The closest he's come to heavy-metal, lots of heavier riffs and aggressive technical w**kery lol! Not suprising the heavier elements are probably due to Portnoy and a member of Mr Big on lead guitar, but even the lyrics are quite bitter and spiteful in places! At least check out the lengthy opening track `The Door', one of Neal's best!

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - November 28 2012 at 06:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:44
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I Love it when bands take a darker, more moody approach to their music. It's what the world needs. BeardFish has been too soft for me in the past. Too much like Neal Morse if you ask me, so I am anxious to check out this new release from them. ....I can see it now. Bearded Fish with bullet belts on!!! Lol
You shan't be disappointed - this album, despite a rather 'vulgar' cover-art (I prefer Roger Dean imagery....) is an honestly superb album.  I know what you say about them being 'soft' - Mammoth suit me to a 'T' (or 'Tea'.....or 'Tee' - whatever it is) so this was a shock, and big enough for me to start a thread......however, it's a KILLER album, and puts many to shame..............

Well the cover art isn't as vulgar as say ' Cannible Corpse' cover art. Yikes. . Also, not to say that their previous works are prosaically soft I just feel if the TEA PARTY and NEAL MORSE had a child it may look like a BEARDFISH. I am appreciative of both those artists, but I've always wanted both to get a bit darker, meaner. I'm excited. I'll give it a spin. Thank you friend!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:45
Morse is *very* clever - not to 'bible-bash' his listeners - he's a man of dignity and pride..........and a Prog virtuoso......which I'm certain Rikard Sjoblom is working on............and getting there............
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:49

Yep, give it a shot, Progbethyname! Love to know what you think of `The Void'!

If you wanted to try a heavier Morse album, give his album `Sola Scriptura' a go! The closest he's come to heavy-metal, lots of heavier riffs and aggressive technical w**kery lol! Not suprising the heavier elements are probably due to Portnoy and a member of Mr Big on lead guitar, but even the lyrics are quite bitter and spiteful in places! At least check out the lengthy opening track `The Door', one of Neal's best!

Love that album. Paul Gilbert's guitar work is awesome on that album. I've listened to SOLA a lot and it is, by far, my favourite work from Neal...the heaviest too!! That album is exceptional and yes.....THE DOOR....best tack on the album followed by the conclusion. Amazing, layered work. Morse with an edge at times. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 06:53

Morse is *very* clever - not to 'bible-bash' his listeners - he's a man of dignity and pride..........and a Prog virtuoso......which I'm certain Rikard Sjoblom is working on............and getting there............

He's great. He may preach 'the word' but it's not in some sappy-fundementalist way where people can get turned off. I like Neal Morse, but in small dosages. Personally, I think his work with Spocks Beard is the best.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:14

He's great. He may preach 'the word' but it's not in some sappy-fundementalist way where people can get turned off. I like Neal Morse, but in small dosages. Personally, I think his work with Spocks Beard is the best.
Hello, dear friend, Neal Morse is an artist who has finally 'reached' me.  In saying that, I've just been willing and open enough to acquire one of the Transatlantic vinyl packages (The Whirlwind) from Greg Walker.........then another (SMPTe)........ and my CD of Spock's Beard's 'Snow' is up for a spin (Aussie Byrd sent me this as a gift years ago and it has just been gathering dust.....).  Credit goes to Aussie Byrd, who is a real saviour when it comes to fresh talent (especially in his efforts to convince little,ole-fashioned-me into modern prog, as he has tried in vain for the last decade +, and succeeded with flying colours).............  Morse is a legend, he always teams up with the cream-of-the-crop, and composes spot-on material.  He doesn't force his beliefs on anyone, and obviously believes in his listeners enjoying the talent, positive vibes, and all-round fun of complex music, not to mention he has a great voice.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:30
Just happy to spread the good word about new quality progressive music, of which there are just so many good things going at the moment! Man, 2012 has has some terrific modern prog albums, especially the most recent ones with really melodic arrangements and vocals - case in point, the most recent Big Big Train, Izz, Echolyn, Mostly Autumn, Cirrus Bay, It Bites, the Luccassen solo album.....damn, I'm just scratching the surface, I could just go on!

I know I hassle a bit about you `having to accept CD as a valid musical format' , but it's just that there's SO much good stuff!! I want the whole world to enjoy so many wonderful new prog releases!

And don't get me started on the endless stream of Italian/Kraut and electronic re-releases to fit in too!

But in keeping with the original topic - EVERYONE CHECK OUT `THE VOID' NOW - GIVE IT A CHANCE!
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:41

Just happy to spread the good word about new quality progressive music, of which there are just so many good things going at the moment! Man, 2012 has has some terrific modern prog albums, especially the most recent ones with really melodic arrangements and vocals - case in point, the most recent Big Big Train, Izz, Echolyn, Mostly Autumn, Cirrus Bay, It Bites, the Luccassen solo album.....damn, I'm just scratching the surface, I could just go on!

I know I hassle a bit about you `having to accept CD as a valid musical format' , but it's just that there's SO much good stuff!! I want the whole world to enjoy so many wonderful new prog releases!

And don't get me started on the endless stream of Italian/Kraut and electronic re-releases to fit in too!

But in keeping with the original topic - EVERYONE CHECK OUT `THE VOID' NOW - GIVE IT A CHANCE!
As we always have discussed...................I'm cutting myself way short of quality prog by just focussing on vinyl...................
.........................but when you've come this far................................................
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:48
^^ Yes my friend. Neal will grow on you even if his music is deeply rooted on the Christian religion. As I've gotten older I've been far more open minded to such religious under tones in music. I also have a grand suggestion for you, and that is the works of Saviour Machine. Another Christian metal band, who I have suggested to our fine purveyor of prog AUSSIE Byrd. This is a fantastic band, that does teach us about religion but on a Darker Level. Front man, Eric Clayton talks more about the reign of Satan in the book of revelations. SAVIOUR MACHINE devised a 3 part trilogy devoted to the whole biblical story of the book of Revelations. It's dark, melodic and has major virtuaso in the music. I HIGHLY recommend SAVIOUR MACHINE's LEGEND pt 1:1,2:1,3:1. Really think you and Aussie Byrd won't be sorry. Give it a spin. :)

Also. SNOW is a good album. Takes a few listens to appreciate it, but it has the power to grow on you a lot. Aussie Byrd is a good friend. He did right by you there. :) enjoy my friend.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:51

Just happy to spread the good word about new quality progressive music, of which there are just so many good things going at the moment! Man, 2012 has has some terrific modern prog albums, especially the most recent ones with really melodic arrangements and vocals - case in point, the most recent Big Big Train, Izz, Echolyn, Mostly Autumn, Cirrus Bay, It Bites, the Luccassen solo album.....damn, I'm just scratching the surface, I could just go on! I know I hassle a bit about you `having to accept CD as a valid musical format' , but it's just that there's SO much good stuff!! I want the whole world to enjoy so many wonderful new prog releases! And don't get me started on the endless stream of Italian/Kraut and electronic re-releases to fit in too! But in keeping with the original topic - EVERYONE CHECK OUT `THE VOID' NOW - GIVE IT A CHANCE!
As we always have discussed...................I'm cutting myself way short of quality prog by just focussing on vinyl...................
.........................but when you've come this far................................................

I definately will. I also want to check out BIG BIG TRAIN. English electric is getting some serious high praise on our PA family site. :)
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:58
Why is Progressive music 'King' in our world ??????  You know, I am laughed at, ridiculed, even cast out because what I listen to, no-one has ever heard of, and when mentioned things like Ozric Tentacles, Hawkwind, Anglagard, Van Der Graaf Generator..........I may as well have 'the men in white coats' at the ready........................................
..............................I don't stand a chance..............................but will stand up for my beliefs..................
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>