Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Greg Lake - Songs Of A Lifetime 25-11-12,London
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGreg Lake - Songs Of A Lifetime 25-11-12,London

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greg Lake - Songs Of A Lifetime 25-11-12,London
    Posted: November 26 2012 at 09:09

My fourth time at Shepherds Bush Empire which is one my favourite venues. Quite intimate in some respects and everyone has a good view as well as good acoustics.

This turned out to be a one man show which was a surprise as I was expecting a full band and backing singers similar to when he last toured (about 2004). Its not a big stage. The big man was introduced onto the stage via a recording of Moonchild and a modern rap style version of In The Court Of The Crimson King. And there he was on his own (although some unkind souls might consider that a good thing for health and safety reasons never mind the half ton drum kit and riser that Carl used to use). The opening track was 21st Century Schizoid man with Greg singing and playing bass to a backing track. (All the backing tracks seemed to be new recordings which did make me wonder who played on them.). His voice has stood the test of time well and perhaps due to giving up the cigs he is singing better than he was 20 years ago on the Black Moon tour. There was actually a slight gasp when he started playing Trilogy. Everyone was thinking 'is he really going to hit those notes?' Of course he didn't but using a 'slightly' lower register than the original he did a respectable version which then seemlessly lead into Still You Turn Me On.

One of the purposes of doing the one man show was to be able to talk about his songs and influences. We got plenty about Hendrix , Elvis , The Beatles and Hank Marvin which was very interesting. He talked about how ELP got together. Very familiar and the facts are well known and have been repeated many times. Still it was very interesting when he recounted his meeting with Mitch Mitchell , his two bodyguards , a manager and a gun! Thankfully as time testifies , Lake lived to tell the tale and Palmer turned out to be the safer optionSmile . I especially liked his story about seeing Elvis in 1970. First song , 3 women fainted and had to be attended to. Second song similar story. By the end it was like a refugee camp with people crying. Elvis has left the building. He was stunned by just how good he was and said he it would take him a long time to get over the fact that he would never be that good.

Apart from his owns songs (C'est La Vie , Lend Your Love Tonight , Lucky Man etc) he also played the odd classic rock n roll song as well the Beatles 'You've got to hide your love away' helped enthustically by the audience on the main chorus. During the interval I had a chat with a very nice couple who had come all the way over from Boston , Massachusetts. Apparently the lovely lady had serenaded her future husband with Take A Pebble all those years ago. Quite a talent!

The encore track was rocking verion of Karn Evil 9. Strange one to end the show on I suppose but good fun.Overall a very enjoyable evening with GL now taking the show over to Italy. Enjoy!

PS he did play Father Xmas!
Kosmos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2012 at 12:33
Thanks for the review.

My view. Seating Row P at the back of the stalls on the right hand side (remind me not to sit in front of the bar next time ... why people go to a gig to talk and not listen is beyond me!)

The most disappointing gig  I have been to for years.  4 out of 10 is generous.

The Q & A session with the audience (went on forever!) was painful. Is this now the trendy thing to do? or doesn't the old boy have the stamina. .. well he has hit retirement age. Apart from a couple of amusing anecdotes about the gun and Elvis I was bored

Where was the backing band? I don’t pay good money to listen to pre recorded backing. What a cheapskate.

Really sad the vocalist on great tracks like Epitaph and Court short changed me with abbreviated versions. Still I have the records..

A 2 and a half hour gig where the music accounted for 50 minutes tops. A real let down. Anyway onwards.
Cry
But laughing in my courtyard play the pranksters of my youth
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 02:08
Actually I enjoyed the show a lot more than we I saw him with full band and backing singers at Dartford (2003/4 time). Tickets were arguably over priced and I think the lack of a band should have been made more clear from the offset. I know what you mean though. I went to see Al Stewart a few years ago and he did a similar thing. I felt a bit ripped off tbh.
Kosmos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2012 at 03:38
I saw Greg at Fairfield Hall Croydon in 2005 and loved the show! Happens all the time. Same gig, different views. C'est La VieWink  I forgot to mention the set list on Sunday.

First 

21st Century Schizoid Man - KC

Lend Your Love to Me Tonight - ELP

From the Beginning - ELP

Heartbreak Hotel - Presley

Epitaph brief version - KC

The Court of the Crimson King brief version - KC

I Talk to the Wind - KC

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away - Beatles

Second

Touch And Go - ELPowell

Trilogy - ELP

Still... You Turn Me On - ELP

Q&A audience

I Believe in Father Christmas - ELP

Shakin' All Over - Johnny Kidd and The Pirates

C'est la vie - ELP

Lucky Man - ELP

People Get Ready -Curtis Mayfield

Encore

Karn Evil 9: 1st Impression, Part 2 - ELP

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 01:48
Was it 2005? Time obviously doesn't fly as much as I thoughtSmile

Thanks for posting the set list. I couldn't remember all of it.

On the Curtis Mayfield cover he played keyboards and very respectably to. Trivia question - when did he play keyboards in ELP?
Kosmos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 07:58
You got me there. I have no idea.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 15:42

Was on the Trilogy tour in 1972 when he played Mellotron on Abaddons Bolero. Don't think it lasted more than a few gigs as it kept breaking down!

presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 18:00
^That's neat, Richard! I had no idea about that.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 03:05
Thanks for the review & the opposing views guys - interesting to hear about the same gig from 2 perspectives. Certainly sounds like an interesting evening...

Originally posted by Kosmos Kosmos wrote:

why people go to a gig to talk and not listen is beyond me

My pet hate - had this twice at Shepherds Bush before, once for King Crimson & once for P J Harvey

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Kosmos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 03:05
Thanks for that. Thumbs Up I lost count of the gigs I went to in the early 70's where the mellotron broke down .
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 05:03
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Thanks for the review & the opposing views guys - interesting to hear about the same gig from 2 perspectives. Certainly sounds like an interesting evening...

My pet hate - had this twice at Shepherds Bush before, once for King Crimson & once for P J Harvey

Nice review Richard.

It really bugs me that people go to a gig and talk. It happened to us with two women at an Elbow gig, you could hear them talking in the quiet bits. If you want to talk, stay at home and put a CD on. Angry
ballpower View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 14:06
wow this sounds like a fantastic show, I would love to see Greg live at some stage but living in Australia makes it hard
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 15:33
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Nice review Richard.

It really bugs me that people go to a gig and talk. It happened to us with two women at an Elbow gig, you could hear them talking in the quiet bits. If you want to talk, stay at home and put a CD on. Angry
Cheers. Funny thing was at the gig the nice American couple I mentioned in my review were talking through most of the first half. It was really bugging me but then after speaking to them at the interval and hearing their stories and love for ELP and prog rock in general I forgot all about it and it no longer bothered me. Also turned out that they were both musicians as well!
A-JCharron View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2012 at 01:34
Saw him in Montreal last Spring; I found the show pretty amazing (of course, my wife and I were in row A, seats 1 and 3). We payed the extra to meet him after the show; money well spent. My wife came only so I wouldn't be alone. When we met Lake, I barely could ask him anything, she just kept talking and talking. It was cute!

Great show!
Humouring Gods; Where Classic Meets Rock

http://www.ajcharronmusic.com
<a href="http://[email protected]"
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 05:55
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Also turned out that they were both musicians as well!

Then they should have known better... Grrrrrrrrrrr

Hmph!

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 05:58

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Also turned out that they were both musicians as well!

Then they should have known better... Grrrrrrrrrrr

Hmph!

Yes.  That is even more shocking.
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 11:29
He never reached his potential as a songwriter, he could have been so much better. Ironically, he doesn't get the credit he deserves for the standard he reached. I feel that ELP in particular stunted his abilities. King Crimson was a far better vehicle, but the wheels came off the bus.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 16:18
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

He never reached his potential as a songwriter, he could have been so much better. Ironically, he doesn't get the credit he deserves for the standard he reached. I feel that ELP in particular stunted his abilities. King Crimson was a far better vehicle, but the wheels came off the bus.

I don't agree at all and I'm not sure where you are coming from anyway.
Fripp wouldn't let him record Lucky Man  and Lake gives this as one of the reasons he had to leave King Crimson.

I would argue that he became a better song writer in ELP. Emerson gave him lots of ideas. Would he have used Troika in his Christmas song but for the classical influence of ELP I wonder? Lake wasn't a prolific song writer and partnered up with Sinfield for Works in order to get six songs done. Emerson was quite happy for Lake to contribute more as I understand it and Lake was no shrinking violet in terms of stating and getting what he wanted. Those that knew them in the seventies would probably say Lake was the strongest personality in the band. He was never given the production seat in ELP he just took it!  Emerson also has a great story at the time of the recording of Pirates and a meeting with 'Lenny '(as Lake called him) Bernstein in his biography that also proves he was no shrinking violet.
DiamondDog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2013 at 16:46
Where I'm "coming from" is the quality of the songwriting, the potential he had that was never fulfilled. I never set out any reasons why he never got there, perhaps inadvertently (and ironically) some of the situations you cite may have contributed to some kind of lack of balance and explain where he ended up. I definitely don't think his writing got better after Crimson, you mustn't confuse arrangement and performance with writing as such. For whatever reason, he never (IMO) achieved what he should have.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2013 at 02:03
Originally posted by DiamondDog DiamondDog wrote:

Where I'm "coming from" is the quality of the songwriting, the potential he had that was never fulfilled. I never set out any reasons why he never got there, perhaps inadvertently (and ironically) some of the situations you cite may have contributed to some kind of lack of balance and explain where he ended up. I definitely don't think his writing got better after Crimson, you mustn't confuse arrangement and performance with writing as such. For whatever reason, he never (IMO) achieved what he should have.
Ultimately we can never know but while he was in Crimson he didn't actually write any songs of his own.
he did co write Epitaph but then its a matter of taste whether you prefer that over say Trilogy which he co wrote with Keith Emerson. I like both and both are different. Whats a simple fact is that he would have had less freedom in Crimson compared to ELP so I don't really understand how that could possibly have been of benefit in developing his song writing.

Edited by richardh - January 09 2013 at 02:05
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>