FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe best ones have a immediate impact

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 11:36
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, PFM, Rush are in the category that i have in mind, and soul...

I agree that Floyd and Yes are instantly accessible... But not Genesis. At least, not for me. I didn't get all the fuss about Genesis for decades. I would try to listen, but after the first or second listen, would give up. Finally, a few years a go, I forced myself to listen and re-listen and re-listen, only because it was praised so highly. Finally started to make sense to me.

I don't know if anyone else has had the same experience concerning Genesis...

One of my favorite albums of all time is Van Morrison's ASTRAL WEEKS. When i first heard it, it sounded like an indecipherable mess, chaotic and unlistenable. For a year, I'd put it on now and then, and then take it off in disgust. But for some reason, I kept going back to it. After that year, the full force of it hit me suddenly one day, and it's remained one of my favorite albums ever since.

I don't expect many here listens to Husker Du, but their album ZEN ARCADE was similar. Hated it the first time I heard it; took me awhile to get it, but now it's one of my all-time favorites.

Edited by jude111 - December 04 2012 at 11:42
Galactic Melt View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 11:47
Although I love Marillion and Genesis, it was Triumvirat that had an immediate impact on me. "Spartacus" and "Pompeii" are two masterpieces of prog, and the first time I heard both I was floored. 
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 17:03
Originally posted by Galactic Melt Galactic Melt wrote:

Although I love Marillion and Genesis, it was Triumvirat that had an immediate impact on me. "Spartacus" and "Pompeii" are two masterpieces of prog, and the first time I heard both I was floored. 

Yes Triumvirat was another immediate impact as ELP, a bombastic impact...Wink
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 10:59
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

Originally posted by Galactic Melt Galactic Melt wrote:

Yes Triumvirat was another immediate impact as ELP, a bombastic impact...Wink

I wold disagree here.

Triumvirat, was Harvest/Hignosis' answer to the overlydone/overrated stuff that ELP was doing by that time.  On top of it, Manticore had released PFM and Banco, and they were getting some very good reviews, for their work, and all of a sudden, ELP looked lazy and tired ... where as these bands were standing out ... really well for not only their individuality, but their creativity.  ELP promptly dropped the bands on account that they did not sell ... because they did not support them at all! Money was wasted on electricity, instead, is the joke!

KAYAK should also be listed in the middle here. Also a Harvest/Hipgnosis release.

Triumvirat became a favorite in Santa Barbara by the station's less educated jocks that played stuff that was more familiar to their ears, rather than the really different stuff that was out there. In this sense, Triumvirat is a bit more conventional, but they were still very good.

It also tells you, that the keyboard sound was massive in those days ... and one that we "think" is the ultimate representation of "progressive" ... and it is NOT, and distorts the mucianship in many other bands that were far more experimental and creative.

Edited by moshkito - December 09 2012 at 11:00
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 11:37
^^^Interesting to hear your impressions regarding Triumvirat, people.
            Personally, Triumvirat had an immediate impact on me, and was the initial reason i got into prog, (In the spring of 1985, a friend lent me Illusions On A Double Dimple and Old Loves Die Hard, while i thought Old Loves was okay, Illusions Immediately floored me in a really positive way, and still does to this day) 

Edited by presdoug - December 09 2012 at 12:21
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 12:18
Fates Warning's PARALLES album hit me pretty good. Very accessible album. Actually, I've never met anyone who doesn't like the album. It's winner. :)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2012 at 08:13
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Fates Warning's PARALLES album hit me pretty good. Very accessible album. Actually, I've never met anyone who doesn't like the album. It's winner. :)

I saw this band with Queensryche and Dream Theater here in Portland ... and the two better known bands had the name and fame ... and this band was pretty much ignored by the audience as they meandered in and out of the hall!

I have heard a bit more of their stuff since, and sometimes I look at this band as far better defined and interesting than the other 2 -- that endup sounding repetitive, instead of creative!

Edited by moshkito - December 19 2012 at 08:15
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345