What albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 248>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What albums did you listen to today?
    Posted: Yesterday at 14:57
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother

Sorry for the late reply, my friend! Been helping my folks move into their new home, while finishing up my renovations! Flat out, and barely listeing to much music!

`Caravan - Paradise Filter' is not an essential purchase, that's for sure. It's not really very proggy (note to self Caravan guys, don't be afraid to throw in some more keyboard solos more often, it's what we really want to hear!), but it's very pleasant and nicely played. Pye Hastings vocals are still in good form and instantly identifiable as part of that classic Caravan sound, but always mixed more front-and-center over the other instruments. It's just reliable `oldies' rock with that typical Caravan charm worked in throughout. I would recommend it, but there's seriously HUNDREDS of albums I'd get before it! I have to say, I do wished I'd gone in for the pre-order and got my name in the CD booklet, all the names inside are big and clear, looks great.

`Rock Bottom'...I'm told it's an essential Canterbury album, but I've avoided it because I dread Wyatt's voice. So you feel it's a deal breaker because of it? I've seen the CD for $10 on the same vendor's table for the last year at the couple of local record fairs I attend, so I guess I could still grab it. The next one is in a week.

I still have some Caravan albums I didn't listen, but I will certainly listen to this one Smile
As for 'Rock Bottom' I agree with Sagi: you will probably only listen to it once LOL

Today was Mostly Froese: LOL
Mostly Autumn - The Spirit of Autumn Past
Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Mostly Autumn - The Last Bright Light
Edgar Froese - Aqua
Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices
Edgar Froese - Ages

Mostly Autumn's music is gentle and beautiful and I loved it Smile
Thank you Nick and Luca for the suggestions Thumbs Up

I don't know why I never checked out Edgar Froese's solo albums. Tongue
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PrognosticMind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 05:36

Sagichim View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Eclectic Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 03:41

Originally posted by Meltdowner

Yes, I'm one of the few who generally cannot stand Robert Wyatt's weezy vocals...I think they did end up getting better, but I find they are mostly excruciating. They all but ensure I barely ever make it through the first Soft Machine album, even though I know musically it's a defining psychedelic release. An amazing and talented drummer, no doubt, but that's the only side of him I enjoy.

`Permanent Waves'...I think the playing is superb, but although I'm finding it better with each listen, on this one I find the vocals/lyrics are little unengaging. It's not that I think they're bad in any way...I think it's just that, even with albums of thiers I love like `2112' (Hey, I got it right this time, Sagi! , I still don't find Rush the most exciting of prog bands for me personally. Important, talented, distinctive no doubt, but I could think of dozens of prog bands I'd prefer to listen to over them. But I shall keep at it, I do enjoy it.

For today's listens, just two, with one being a repeat offender!

Rush - Permanent Waves
Caravan - Paradise Filter
I can listen to the first Soft Machine albums, because the instrumental part is interesting. In my opinion I can't say the same for Wyatt's 'Rock Bottom'.I try not to overthink or compare Rush's music and it's very enjoyable this way CoolWhat do you think of that Caravan album?

Sorry for the late reply, my friend! Been helping my folks move into their new home, while finishing up my renovations! Flat out, and barely listeing to much music!

`Caravan - Paradise Filter' is not an essential purchase, that's for sure. It's not really very proggy (note to self Caravan guys, don't be afraid to throw in some more keyboard solos more often, it's what we really want to hear!), but it's very pleasant and nicely played. Pye Hastings vocals are still in good form and instantly identifiable as part of that classic Caravan sound, but always mixed more front-and-center over the other instruments. It's just reliable `oldies' rock with that typical Caravan charm worked in throughout. I would recommend it, but there's seriously HUNDREDS of albums I'd get before it! I have to say, I do wished I'd gone in for the pre-order and got my name in the CD booklet, all the names inside are big and clear, looks great.

`Rock Bottom'...I'm told it's an essential Canterbury album, but I've avoided it because I dread Wyatt's voice. So you feel it's a deal breaker because of it? I've seen the CD for $10 on the same vendor's table for the last year at the couple of local record fairs I attend, so I guess I could still grab it. The next one is in a week.
Michael I doubt you will enjoy Rock Bottom if you can't stand Wyatt's singing. It is an essential Canterbury album, but not only the music is superb, so are Wyatt's vocals which are a big part of the album and my enjoyment.
But check it on the tube just in case.
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain.."
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 03:21
smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote smartpatrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 03:13

Edited by smartpatrol - Yesterday at 03:18
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote ProgMetaller2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Yesterday at 00:46
Genesis - ... And Then There Were Three
Genesis - Duke
Genesis - Abacab
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”
― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 21:57
Eloy-Planets
        Silent Cries....
Et In Arcadia Ego
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Rock Progressivo Italiano Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:24
My scarce listens for the last few days:

Kitaro - Oasis
Raw Material - Time Is...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:22

Yes, I'm one of the few who generally cannot stand Robert Wyatt's weezy vocals...I think they did end up getting better, but I find they are mostly excruciating. They all but ensure I barely ever make it through the first Soft Machine album, even though I know musically it's a defining psychedelic release. An amazing and talented drummer, no doubt, but that's the only side of him I enjoy.

`Permanent Waves'...I think the playing is superb, but although I'm finding it better with each listen, on this one I find the vocals/lyrics are little unengaging. It's not that I think they're bad in any way...I think it's just that, even with albums of thiers I love like `2112' (Hey, I got it right this time, Sagi! , I still don't find Rush the most exciting of prog bands for me personally. Important, talented, distinctive no doubt, but I could think of dozens of prog bands I'd prefer to listen to over them. But I shall keep at it, I do enjoy it.

For today's listens, just two, with one being a repeat offender!

Rush - Permanent Waves
Caravan - Paradise Filter
I can listen to the first Soft Machine albums, because the instrumental part is interesting. In my opinion I can't say the same for Wyatt's 'Rock Bottom'.I try not to overthink or compare Rush's music and it's very enjoyable this way CoolWhat do you think of that Caravan album?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:11
Originally posted by progbethyname

Mostly Autumn--Ghost Light Orchestra (I like this one a little more than Dressed In Voices. I feel this is their best I've heard from them this far. )
Queen--Sheer Heart Attack (I don't think there isn't too many better vocal performances by a human being done on this one. Mercury just kills. ;)
Threshold--March In Progress
While Heaven Wept--Fear Of Infinity
Marillion--The Strange Engine (yeah I like it. Memory of Water is one beautiful song)
Porcupine Tree--Dead Wing
Porcupine Tree--- Fear Of a Black Planet. ( PT nail it on this one. Like the heavy approach. )

Best album today? I think I got the most out of that Threshold one, March In Progress. It's a real head and foot tapper. ;)

I've always had a lot of love for that Queen album, Nick! So much variety and inspiration, do many directions the band could head from there, and they certainly did just that! Man, I wish a ton of the kids who listen to Muse had any idea just how much of an influence early Queen were on that band.

I quite like that Mostly Autumn album too! I haven't got the latest one yet, but I do give `Ghost Orchestra' (and the one before it, I forget the name off the top of my head!) a fairly regular spin. I've got many Mostly Autumn CD's, and I still feel they haven't yet managed a truly essential work - definitely a couple of throwaways (even if still nicely played) on each album that sometimes drift a little too close to bland.

Not much wrong with `This Strange Engine', probably one of the warmest Marillion albums! However, not you `Hope for the Future', you get to go stand in the corner! Dreadful track!
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 19:19
Yes - Relayer
Druckfarben - Second Sound
and ofcourse (can't stop playing this album...I'm hooked)
IQ - The Road of Bones
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 18:12
The Who - Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
ELP - s/t
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:05
Mostly Autumn--Ghost Light Orchestra (I like this one a little more than Dressed In Voices. I feel this is their best I've heard from them this far. )
Queen--Sheer Heart Attack (I don't think there isn't too many better vocal performances by a human being done on this one. Mercury just kills. ;)
Threshold--March In Progress
While Heaven Wept--Fear Of Infinity
Marillion--The Strange Engine (yeah I like it. Memory of Water is one beautiful song)
Porcupine Tree--Dead Wing
Porcupine Tree--- Fear Of a Black Planet. ( PT nail it on this one. Like the heavy approach. )

Best album today? I think I got the most out of that Threshold one, March In Progress. It's a real head and foot tapper. ;)
I Had A Sheer Heart Attack when I listen to Freddy Mercury vocal blasts on Sheer Heart Attack. That guy can really bring down the hammer and the anvil on that one. Sheesh. ;)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:51
Eloy - Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste
Supertramp - Indelidly Stamped
Porcupine Tree - Staircase Infinities

KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:36
The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown's self titled album. Sort of; I burned a copy I bought that replaces the stereo version of "Nightmare" with the mono version and includes "Devil's Grip" immediately after the "Fire" suite and "Give Him A Flower" in between "I Put A Spell On You" and "Spontaneous Apple Creation". I dunno, it just sounds better that way to me.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
PJ20 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Quote PJ20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 05:51

USE YOUR ILLUSION 1 - GNR,

BACKSPACER -- Pearl Jam

A Rush of blood to the head -- COLDPLAY. 

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 20:39

Tangerine Dream - Electronic Meditation (not as electronic as the title suggests, but it's still a good album Thumbs Up)Soft Machine - SixMarillion - Clutching at StrawsDavid Bowie - Aladdin SaneKlaus Schulze - TimewindRoxy Music - Stranded

You've got good taste in music, dude.
Thanks Smile

Mostly autumn-- Dressed in Voices
Lacuna Coil--Broken Crown Halo

I've never listened to Mostly Autumn but their description looks promissing. What do you recommend from them?I
used to listen to Lacuna Coil on my early music apreciation years (when
I used to listen to Godsmack too). I'll have to try again sometime WinkToday:ACDC - Hells Bells (I gave it a spin in my car today, I haven't listened to this one in a long time. Thank you Lazland! Cool)Latte e Miele - Passio Secundum Mattheum (I really like the gentler side of RPI Smile)Tangerine Dream - Poland (Good album, very Hyperborean)David Bowie - Diamond DogsFranz Ferdinand - s/t

Well thanks to Steve a.k.a Mr. Laz he was the one who gave me a bit of a push to give Mostly Autumn a go, so I read one of his reviews and it seemed that Dressed In Voices (being their latest album) would be actually a good place to start for me. Think I was right. I liked the album. Great keyboards and female vocals. Home is an excellent track. Sparemen's vocals's replacing heather Findley actually works. She kills it, but make no mistake she is no Scabbia of the coil!! ;)

More albums today....

Riverside--Shrine Of A New Generation
Devin Townsend--Casualties of Cool (so mellow ;)
Threshold--March In Progress (this is my favourite album I listen to today.)

I Had A Sheer Heart Attack when I listen to Freddy Mercury vocal blasts on Sheer Heart Attack. That guy can really bring down the hammer and the anvil on that one. Sheesh. ;)
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Xonty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 17:03
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
The Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Haken - The Mountain
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:21
Originally posted by octopus-4

Mostly Autumn essentials are for me "The spirit of autumn past" and "The last bright light"

My playlist for tomorrow Thumbs Up
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl Team

Post Options Post Options   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 15:12
Mostly Autumn essentials are for me "The spirit of autumn past" and "The last bright light"
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 248>