Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Prog 74 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 15:52
Mirage - Camel
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 16:25
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Mike Oldfield - Man On The Rocks
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 20:45
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

then came across the five disc Mahavisnu Orchestra box set for the same price that I've been hoping would show up down under here.
Dude! Just got this the other day (along with the Jethro Tull and Yes ones) and have it sitting in front of me right this minute. Might give the live one a listen real soon.

Gabe, I saw it online many months ago and thought `Oh, that HAS to end up down here at some point....' and finally I came across TWO copies of it in a local JB Hifi, was so excited!

It sounds terrific so far...I'm only giving the first disc a spin at this point. But I've been eager to get those albums, all I've had in the past was the live one, which I scored off an ex-girlfriend's Dad. When we were dating, I was looking through his LP's and came across that, and he told me to take it, as well as anything else prog related. Sadly he became a punk man, and left all those wonderful bands/albums behind! In retrospect, he probably wouldn't have been so eager to give me those gifts if he knew the things his daughter and I used to get up to!

There's also a Soft Machine box set in the same series (Third album through to `Seven'), so if you like them, look out for that (I ended up getting that off Ebay though).

Oh yes, that Tull set we both have....still not getting too much love from me just yet, but slowly I'm sure I'll try harder...

The early Santana one is superb as well!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 20:58
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Entity - Il Falso Centro (thanks for talking about it, it's a really good album Smile)John Wesley - Disconnect

Thursday 17th April 2014:
Meltdowner, that's a lovely Santana band album, such a shimmering spritual beauty. I always keep a copy in the car

Sorry to read you didn't like the English version of that P.F.M
album! I guess as there's nothing wrong with the originals just as they
are, so why choose that version? I know I'm horrified at the thought of
hearing the English version of Le Orme's `Felona e Serona' (never have,
probably never will!)!

I think it was very important, though, it certainly gave them a
wider reach than they otherwise would have achieved. What's your opinion
on their albums a couple of years later `Chcolate Kings' and `Jetlag'?
I saw Santana's album on the top Jazz Rock/Fusion albums
and I was curious to listen to it: it's very different from the songs I
knew from him, this album is so much better Big smileThe
only P.F.M albums I listened are Storia Di Un Minuto, Per Un Amico and
L'Isola Di Niente, but I listened to the first two a lot and my
subconscious was expecting Italian but it was bad English instead: I
understand the original lyrics better than the English ones and I don't
speak Italian LOLMaybe I will like "Chocolate King" and "Jetlag" better because there's no Italian version.

Glad you liked the Entity album! The band were very nice in helping me on the Italian Prog team get them added to the site, supplied great bio information, etc. The fact that the album was terrific made things so much easier too! I posted a rather long-winded review of it too lol!

Yes, it's those three PFM ones that are the special ones, for sure. No need to look elsehwere for `corrupted' versions! . As for `Chocolate KIngs' and `Jetlag' (and I'm with Sagi, I much prefer `Jetlag' of the two, it's a really dynamic jazz/fusion album for P.F.M!), I'd be interested to know what you think of them. The singer they took in from Italian band Acqua Fragile sounds a lot like Peter Gabriel coupled with a goat! I honestly don't know why the band chose a singer to more or less emulate another singer (other than some sort of leeching off the success of Genesis?), but there's good stuff through both albums, especially the latter.

Well done with that Santana album! I like their first three albums, but `Caravanserai' onwards is where they enter a whole new level! You can't go wrong with `Borboletta' and `Welcome' from the same period, this run of very ambient and spiritual albums, and there's even a very cheap 5 disc box set (I got it for under $16 Australian) that includes all those albums together. The box skimps on the packaging (each disc is housed in a flimsy `LP sleeve recreation'), but the discs are all the remastered versions, some with bonus tracks.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 21:02
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Maybe I will like "Chocolate King" and "Jetlag" better because there's no Italian version.
I love those albums too, personally I prefer Jetlag to Chocolate but not many fans do.

I completely agree with you, Sagi! `Chocolate Kings' is decent, but `Jetlag' frequently thrills me. I've read quite a lot over the years negative remarks about it that seem to suggest the band heading in a jazz/fusion direction was `uninspired, lazy, directionless' etc, but I've never found that at all. Besides, loking back, it's experimenting with different styles and sounds that makes the discography of these bands so fascinating and rewarding!

`Kings' is very special to my friend Tom Ozric, so I've kind of felt a little bad over the years that I've never been able to love it quite as much as he does! All good, Tom, I definitely DO like it though!
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2014 at 21:02

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

then came across the five disc Mahavisnu Orchestra box set for the same price that I've been hoping would show up down under here.
Dude! Just got this the other day (along with the Jethro Tull and Yes ones) and have it sitting in front of me right this minute. Might give the live one a listen real soon.

Gabe, I saw it online many months ago and thought `Oh, that HAS to end up down here at some point....' and finally I came across TWO copies of it in a local JB Hifi, was so excited!

It sounds terrific so far...I'm only giving the first disc a spin at this point. But I've been eager to get those albums, all I've had in the past was the live one, which I scored off an ex-girlfriend's Dad. When we were dating, I was looking through his LP's and came across that, and he told me to take it, as well as anything else prog related. Sadly he became a punk man, and left all those wonderful bands/albums behind! In retrospect, he probably wouldn't have been so eager to give me those gifts if he knew the things his daughter and I used to get up to!

There's also a Soft Machine box set in the same series (Third album through to `Seven'), so if you like them, look out for that (I ended up getting that off Ebay though).

Oh yes, that Tull set we both have....still not getting too much love from me just yet, but slowly I'm sure I'll try harder...

The early Santana one is superb as well!

Got mine from JB Hi-Fi too. I put the first album on yesterday and dug the hell out of it. Some great energetic fusion. Listened to Birds of Fire first from it though and that was good, and put the live album on just before and enjoyed that too, so it has already payed for itself.

I bought the Soft Machine one off Ebay as well and I like all of 'em. I thought the chances of finding that box set at JB was not going to be frequent.

Tull is growing on me (something I didn't really think would happen). Yeah, I remember us talking about that Tull one ages ago.

Santana has heaps of those 5 album sets! You can just about get the whole discog for like $60 LOL

It seems there's a Stormy Six (!) box set too, but when I searched Ebay I couldn't find a single one.

Edited by irrelevant - April 17 2014 at 21:03
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 02:11

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Maybe I will like "Chocolate King" and "Jetlag" better because there's no Italian version.
I love those albums too, personally I prefer Jetlag to Chocolate but not many fans do.

I completely agree with you, Sagi! `Chocolate Kings' is decent, but `Jetlag' frequently thrills me. I've read quite a lot over the years negative remarks about it that seem to suggest the band heading in a jazz/fusion direction was `uninspired, lazy, directionless' etc, but I've never found that at all. Besides, loking back, it's experimenting with different styles and sounds that makes the discography of these bands so fascinating and rewarding!

`Kings' is very special to my friend Tom Ozric, so I've kind of felt a little bad over the years that I've never been able to love it quite as much as he does! All good, Tom, I definitely DO like it though!

I couldn't have said it better, the band have been playing symphonic prog for 6 years or so, naturally they'll want to do something else, I think it turned out to be very successful. Of course not every song is mind blowing but some of it is really precious, I can listen to Traveler in repeat and not get tired of it, even Lanzetti sounds good!! Wink

BTW I do like a lot Chocolate Kings, it just sounds a little cold unlike previous albums, but they certainly took it up a notch there, the musicianship is like never before.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:02
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hey, I double checked, the Devil Doll album I have on the way is called `Eliogabalus', that's the one you've got, right? Opinions/thoughts?

Mad as moccasins, but I'm sure you'll find something to cling ontoBig smile Just about the most theatrical (and unhinged) vocal performance you're ever likely to come across in prog, and that's including Hammill and the late Francesco. 

Pure heavenly Gothic dysfunction. Enjoy my friend! Eliogabulas is one of my favourites. Best played on Halloween!
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:12
Up early on Good Friday, and it certainly is a good one at that. Got the entire flat to myself, so I'm digging into some 5.1 magic played very very loud!!!

IQ--Stage (live In Nearfest) Disc 1
Saviour Machine--Live In Deutschland (1995)
Alchemy Live!---The whole bloody thing. What a show!!
Fields Of The Nephilim--Live In Dusseldorf

Up Next....

Genesis--Seconds Out--5.1 mix remaster
Opeth--BlackWater Park (5.1mix)

...my ears should be bleeding after this.

A Very Happy Easter (Good Friday)To All Who Celebrate The Occasion. ;)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:16
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Hey, I double checked, the Devil Doll album I have on the way is called `Eliogabalus', that's the one you've got, right? Opinions/thoughts?

Mad as moccasins, but I'm sure you'll find something to cling ontoBig smile Just about the most theatrical (and unhinged) vocal performance you're ever likely to come across in prog, and that's including Hammill and the late Francesco. 

Pure heavenly Gothic dysfunction. Enjoy my friend! Eliogabulas is one of my favourites. Best played on Halloween!

Awwww, Nick, I don't want to wait endless months to play it!

Although, probably lucky it hasn't arrived yet, I don't think Jesus would appreciate me playing it this weekend!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:46
It kinda reminds me of Dennis. He loves that thing. Too bad he isn't around anymoreOuch
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 07:46
Friday 18th April 2014:

Santana - Caravanserai
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of the Seventh Son
Man - Be Good To Yourself At Least Once A Day
Aunt Mary - Janus
Birth Control - s/t

Principle Edwards Magic Theatre - s/t - A sporadically brilliant, sometimes dark psychedelic gem. Call me crazy, but I swear little sections of this could easily have been an influence on the more recent Opeth albums??)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 08:43

Awwww, Nick, I don't want to wait endless months to play it!

Although, probably lucky it hasn't arrived yet, I don't think Jesus would appreciate me playing it this weekend!

What? Jesus can't handle a little Black-Friday? Well, that's no god of mine!
Enjoy it when it comes. It's a very special album. :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 08:55

It kinda reminds me of Dennis. He loves that thing. Too bad he isn't around anymoreOuch

I still talk to Dennis a.k.a The.Crimson.King quite regularly through and he told me he resides on progressivears.com.
Also, he has quite a flare and talent for creating some intriguing Doomy rock music with his project WYTCHCRYPT.
He sent me his finished CD in the mail called NOVEMBRE SORCIERE CRYPTE. It's a ten part suite and its pretty cool.
What a guy!
I've nicknamed him Sabbath's Doomy cousin, Dr. Doom!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 08:58

Friday 18th April 2014:
Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of the Seventh Son
)

Doesn't get much better than that. Masterful album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 09:14

I still talk to Dennis a.k.a The.Crimson.King quite regularly through and he told me he resides on progressivears.com.
Also, he has quite a flare and talent for creating some intriguing Doomy rock music with his project WYTCHCRYPT.
He sent me his finished CD in the mail called NOVEMBRE SORCIERE CRYPTE. It's a ten part suite and its pretty cool.
What a guy!
I've nicknamed him Sabbath's Doomy cousin, Dr. Doom!

Haha!! Apparently I'm not the only one on here that's discovered Dennis's Doomy creation meets King Crimson.
He has some love from Switzerland!

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19026&PID=4975758#4975758
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 09:44
Sure, the whole World owes Dennis exciting links and posts, now including WytchCrypt ! 
Heleniiii View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 10:24
Today I would like to talk about P-Square. As for me it's very young musical band! Recently I listened not many songs, but they were so cool that I can't stop to listen theirs. In my opinion their music is inflammatory and some songs looks like the songs of Bob Marly No one like you- it's my favorite song! And what's about you? Who likes P'Square?Anyone heard about this band?
P-Square http://music.naij.com/artist-105-p-square   Tongue
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:28
So far today -
Automatic Man Automatic Man
Genesis Wind & Wuthering
Hammer, Jan Group Oh, Yeah? (Remastered)
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2014 at 11:56
Yes - Time And A Word
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 199200201202203 511>