Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 246247248249250 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 13:36
The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown's self titled album. Sort of; I burned a copy I bought that replaces the stereo version of "Nightmare" with the mono version and includes "Devil's Grip" immediately after the "Fire" suite and "Give Him A Flower" in between "I Put A Spell On You" and "Spontaneous Apple Creation". I dunno, it just sounds better that way to me.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 15:51
Eloy - Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes
Gentle Giant - Acquiring the Taste
Supertramp - Indelidly Stamped
Porcupine Tree - Staircase Infinities

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 16:05
Mostly Autumn--Ghost Light Orchestra (I like this one a little more than Dressed In Voices. I feel this is their best I've heard from them this far. )
Queen--Sheer Heart Attack (I don't think there isn't too many better vocal performances by a human being done on this one. Mercury just kills. ;)
Threshold--March In Progress
While Heaven Wept--Fear Of Infinity
Marillion--The Strange Engine (yeah I like it. Memory of Water is one beautiful song)
Porcupine Tree--Dead Wing
Porcupine Tree--- Fear Of a Black Planet. ( PT nail it on this one. Like the heavy approach. )

Best album today? I think I got the most out of that Threshold one, March In Progress. It's a real head and foot tapper. ;)
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 18:12
The Who - Quadrophenia
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
ELP - s/t
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 19:19
Yes - Relayer
Druckfarben - Second Sound
and ofcourse (can't stop playing this album...I'm hooked)
IQ - The Road of Bones
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:11
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Mostly Autumn--Ghost Light Orchestra (I like this one a little more than Dressed In Voices. I feel this is their best I've heard from them this far. )
Queen--Sheer Heart Attack (I don't think there isn't too many better vocal performances by a human being done on this one. Mercury just kills. ;)
Threshold--March In Progress
While Heaven Wept--Fear Of Infinity
Marillion--The Strange Engine (yeah I like it. Memory of Water is one beautiful song)
Porcupine Tree--Dead Wing
Porcupine Tree--- Fear Of a Black Planet. ( PT nail it on this one. Like the heavy approach. )

Best album today? I think I got the most out of that Threshold one, March In Progress. It's a real head and foot tapper. ;)

I've always had a lot of love for that Queen album, Nick! So much variety and inspiration, do many directions the band could head from there, and they certainly did just that! Man, I wish a ton of the kids who listen to Muse had any idea just how much of an influence early Queen were on that band.

I quite like that Mostly Autumn album too! I haven't got the latest one yet, but I do give `Ghost Orchestra' (and the one before it, I forget the name off the top of my head!) a fairly regular spin. I've got many Mostly Autumn CD's, and I still feel they haven't yet managed a truly essential work - definitely a couple of throwaways (even if still nicely played) on each album that sometimes drift a little too close to bland.

Not much wrong with `This Strange Engine', probably one of the warmest Marillion albums! However, not you `Hope for the Future', you get to go stand in the corner! Dreadful track!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Yes, I'm one of the few who generally cannot stand Robert Wyatt's weezy vocals...I think they did end up getting better, but I find they are mostly excruciating. They all but ensure I barely ever make it through the first Soft Machine album, even though I know musically it's a defining psychedelic release. An amazing and talented drummer, no doubt, but that's the only side of him I enjoy.

`Permanent Waves'...I think the playing is superb, but although I'm finding it better with each listen, on this one I find the vocals/lyrics are little unengaging. It's not that I think they're bad in any way...I think it's just that, even with albums of thiers I love like `2112' (Hey, I got it right this time, Sagi! , I still don't find Rush the most exciting of prog bands for me personally. Important, talented, distinctive no doubt, but I could think of dozens of prog bands I'd prefer to listen to over them. But I shall keep at it, I do enjoy it.

For today's listens, just two, with one being a repeat offender!

Rush - Permanent Waves
Caravan - Paradise Filter
I can listen to the first Soft Machine albums, because the instrumental part is interesting. In my opinion I can't say the same for Wyatt's 'Rock Bottom'.I try not to overthink or compare Rush's music and it's very enjoyable this way CoolWhat do you think of that Caravan album?

Sorry for the late reply, my friend! Been helping my folks move into their new home, while finishing up my renovations! Flat out, and barely listeing to much music!

`Caravan - Paradise Filter' is not an essential purchase, that's for sure. It's not really very proggy (note to self Caravan guys, don't be afraid to throw in some more keyboard solos more often, it's what we really want to hear!), but it's very pleasant and nicely played. Pye Hastings vocals are still in good form and instantly identifiable as part of that classic Caravan sound, but always mixed more front-and-center over the other instruments. It's just reliable `oldies' rock with that typical Caravan charm worked in throughout. I would recommend it, but there's seriously HUNDREDS of albums I'd get before it! I have to say, I do wished I'd gone in for the pre-order and got my name in the CD booklet, all the names inside are big and clear, looks great.

`Rock Bottom'...I'm told it's an essential Canterbury album, but I've avoided it because I dread Wyatt's voice. So you feel it's a deal breaker because of it? I've seen the CD for $10 on the same vendor's table for the last year at the couple of local record fairs I attend, so I guess I could still grab it. The next one is in a week.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 20:24
My scarce listens for the last few days:

Kitaro - Oasis
Raw Material - Time Is...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 21:57
Eloy-Planets
        Silent Cries....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 00:46
Genesis - ... And Then There Were Three
Genesis - Duke
Genesis - Abacab
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

smartpatrol View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:13

Edited by smartpatrol - August 22 2014 at 03:18
UMUR View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:21
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 03:41

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Yes, I'm one of the few who generally cannot stand Robert Wyatt's weezy vocals...I think they did end up getting better, but I find they are mostly excruciating. They all but ensure I barely ever make it through the first Soft Machine album, even though I know musically it's a defining psychedelic release. An amazing and talented drummer, no doubt, but that's the only side of him I enjoy.

`Permanent Waves'...I think the playing is superb, but although I'm finding it better with each listen, on this one I find the vocals/lyrics are little unengaging. It's not that I think they're bad in any way...I think it's just that, even with albums of thiers I love like `2112' (Hey, I got it right this time, Sagi! , I still don't find Rush the most exciting of prog bands for me personally. Important, talented, distinctive no doubt, but I could think of dozens of prog bands I'd prefer to listen to over them. But I shall keep at it, I do enjoy it.

For today's listens, just two, with one being a repeat offender!

Rush - Permanent Waves
Caravan - Paradise Filter
I can listen to the first Soft Machine albums, because the instrumental part is interesting. In my opinion I can't say the same for Wyatt's 'Rock Bottom'.I try not to overthink or compare Rush's music and it's very enjoyable this way CoolWhat do you think of that Caravan album?

Sorry for the late reply, my friend! Been helping my folks move into their new home, while finishing up my renovations! Flat out, and barely listeing to much music!

`Caravan - Paradise Filter' is not an essential purchase, that's for sure. It's not really very proggy (note to self Caravan guys, don't be afraid to throw in some more keyboard solos more often, it's what we really want to hear!), but it's very pleasant and nicely played. Pye Hastings vocals are still in good form and instantly identifiable as part of that classic Caravan sound, but always mixed more front-and-center over the other instruments. It's just reliable `oldies' rock with that typical Caravan charm worked in throughout. I would recommend it, but there's seriously HUNDREDS of albums I'd get before it! I have to say, I do wished I'd gone in for the pre-order and got my name in the CD booklet, all the names inside are big and clear, looks great.

`Rock Bottom'...I'm told it's an essential Canterbury album, but I've avoided it because I dread Wyatt's voice. So you feel it's a deal breaker because of it? I've seen the CD for $10 on the same vendor's table for the last year at the couple of local record fairs I attend, so I guess I could still grab it. The next one is in a week.
Michael I doubt you will enjoy Rock Bottom if you can't stand Wyatt's singing. It is an essential Canterbury album, but not only the music is superb, so are Wyatt's vocals which are a big part of the album and my enjoyment.
But check it on the tube just in case.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 05:36

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 14:57

I still have some Caravan albums I didn't listen, but I will certainly listen to this one Smile
As for 'Rock Bottom' I agree with Sagi: you will probably only listen to it once LOL

Today was Mostly Froese: LOL
Mostly Autumn - The Spirit of Autumn Past
Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Mostly Autumn - The Last Bright Light
Edgar Froese - Aqua
Mostly Autumn - Dressed in Voices
Edgar Froese - Ages

Mostly Autumn's music is gentle and beautiful and I loved it Smile
Thank you Nick and Luca for the suggestions Thumbs Up

I don't know why I never checked out Edgar Froese's solo albums. Tongue
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 07:08
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Fear - The Record
Soft Machine - s/t
Sigur Ros - Hvarf/Heim

Edited by Xonty - August 24 2014 at 10:59
PJ20 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 08:28

Listened to TEN by Pearl Jam today

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 13:01
Yesterday (spent  about 13 hours driving, half the time with my son so some kiddie music included):

Bugs Bunny on Broadway
Animaniacs: 16 Original Songs from the TV Series
Muppets Most Wanted
The Best of Schoolhouse Rock
Sound of Contact - Dimensionaut
IQ - Road of Bones
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Voivod - Angel Rat
The Winery Dogs
Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 16:37
The Flower Kings - Unfold the Future (Disc 1)
Present - Le Poison Qui Rend Fou
The Flower Kings - Unfold the Future (Disc 2: who can listen a studio album for two and a half hours straight Confused)
Roxy Music - Country Life
Il Baccio Della Medusa - Discera agl'inferi...
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 17:50
Friday:

Genesis - Genesis
Genesis - Invisible Touch

Yesterday:

Gentle Giant - Interview
Gentle Giant - The Missing Piece
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.