Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 09:43
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

For Monday August 25th,2014:

King Crimson - Discipline
King Crimson - Beat
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
Camel - Mirage

Thumbs Up Approve
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 13:53
Tull-Crest of a Knave.............
Anderson is proud of the track Budapest on this one but I find the album boring overall.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 15:19
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Wavelength...noticed my review from a few weeks back, eh, my friend?! The only way to enjoy it is to simply let it play all the way through. It's quite a throwaway TDream disc without actually being terrible. Have you tried watching the movie on Youtube?! Don't know if it would be worth the time!

By the way, thanks to you and Sagi about the Robert Wyatt album. I've got the next local record fair this Sunday, and if I don't find much there and one of the usual vendors still has that `Rock Bottom' CD there cheap, I'll give it a shot. $10 isn't a total wallet killer!

I've never seen the movie, but I saw recently Blade Runner because of Vangelis soundtrack: he really did some wonderful work for this one Cry

I was curious to know how $10 are worth in your country and it's really easy to earn compared to 10€ here. The sad part is that albums here probably cost the same amount of money than there Ermm

Sorry, Meltdowner, will try for Anglagard tomorrow night!

That's ok. Tongue I'll have to listen to their other albums as well.

Today:
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Robert Reed - Sanctuary
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Latte e Miele - Papillon
Quella Vecchia Locanda - s/t
Soft Machine - Bundles

Edited by Meltdowner - August 26 2014 at 15:24
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 22:32
Heavy working day:

Spock's Beard - Brief Nocturnes and Dreamless Sleep
Corrosion of Conformity - Blind
Stone Temple Pilots - Tiny Music...Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop
Mind Over Four - The Goddess 
Mind Over Four - Half Way Down (hadn't listened to these guys in years, but saw they were in the archives and reminded me of them, though I consider them more alt-metal than prog-metal, good stuff)
The God Machine - Scenes from the Second Storey (another alt-metal type band from the early 90's with some prog/art rock elements, though not in the archives here, also good stuff)
Jeff Beck -  You Had It Coming

Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 22:37
Today, so far:

Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans
The Beatles: Sgt.. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
King Crimson: Starless And Bible Black
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
gramon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2014 at 22:47
Trace- Trace
VDGG - Still Life
kc - Larks tongues in Aspic
Crucis - Los delirios del mariscal (argentinian band)
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 02:02
Just listened to Nucleus by Anekdoten for the first time, excellent.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:39
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I was curious to know how $10 are worth in your country and it's really easy to earn compared to 10€ here. The sad part is that albums here probably cost the same amount of money than there Ermm
Today:Pink Floyd - Wish You Were HereRobert Reed - SanctuaryOpeth - Blackwater ParkLatte e Miele - PapillonQuella Vecchia Locanda - s/tSoft Machine - Bundles

At the moment the Aussie dollar is just a little less than the US, so $10 is about $11. I'll let you guys know if I pick that `Rock Bottom' album up this weekend!

That Quella Vecchia Locanda album is wonderful, my friend! Question for you - Both of their superb albums sound pretty different to eachother, which of the two do you prefer?

I'm not a total massive heavy metal collector (just a few bands I obsess over, like My Dying Bride in particular), but `Blackwater Park' is probably one of my favourite metal albums! I loved Opeth up until about `Deliverance/Damnation'...I still like the albums after them, but gone was all the flow and seamless transitions, replaced with a very fragmented jumble of ideas instead.

For todays choices:

Atomic Rooster - s/t
Skin Alley - Two Quid Deal?
Tonton Macoute - s/t
If - If 2

Janus - Gravedigger - Hmmm, finding this a bit average, Sagi. The side long piece is the best track, but very over-long and repetitive. The album has some cool playingm, but the vocals...man, they seem so put on and a bit try-hard to my ears!

WOuld love to know what youg uys think of it!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 07:52
Yesterday was a great listening day:

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 2
Causa Sui - Euperide Tide
Goat - World Music (I can't seem to get enough of this band! They're insanely good! Sooooo looking foreward to the new album)
GonG - Live au Bataclan
Boris - Noise (contains guitar solo of the year)
Current 93 - I Am The Last Of All The Field That Fell
Franz K. - Sensemann (Delicious and completely under the radar Krautrock from 72)
Temples - Sun Structures
Itoiz - Ezekiel
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 09:57

Janus - Gravedigger - Hmmm, finding this a bit average, Sagi. The side long piece is the best track, but very over-long and repetitive. The album has some cool playingm, but the vocals...man, they seem so put on and a bit try-hard to my ears! 

Well of course I can recommend a million albums before that one but I still like it. It's not complex or changing kind of prog but quite straight forward and sometimes monotonous as you said with those long compositions, but it has a lot of appeal and that vintagy magic, plus some psychedelic guitar playing! at least that's what I remember.
Oh and I know Dave is a fan of this album.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 13:54
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
The Who - Quadrophenia
Gentle Giant - In A Glass House
Genesis - Trespass
Procol Harum - Home
King Crimson - Islands

Edited by Xonty - August 27 2014 at 16:27
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2014 at 16:10

That Quella Vecchia Locanda album is wonderful, my friend! Question for you - Both of their superb albums sound pretty different to eachother, which of the two do you prefer?

I'm not a total massive heavy metal collector (just a few bands I obsess over, like My Dying Bride in particular), but `Blackwater Park' is probably one of my favourite metal albums! I loved Opeth up until about `Deliverance/Damnation'...I still like the albums after them, but gone was all the flow and seamless transitions, replaced with a very fragmented jumble of ideas instead.

For todays choices:

Atomic Rooster - s/t
Skin Alley - Two Quid Deal?
Tonton Macoute - s/t
If - If 2

After listening to both Quella Vecchia Locanda albums once, I think they are both equally good; let's see if this changes after more spins Tongue

I'm not really into Opeth; I could barely listen to the whole album (having more than 60 minutes don't help). I wanted something to stay awake at work (monday mornings, right? Wink) but I guess I should have listened to Iron Maiden instead LOL

I've never listened to Atomic Rooster but I've been reading this name a lot. What do you recommend from them?

Gravedigger is not a masterpiece but I really liked it, specially the title track: on the classical guitar part, I had some mental images of my guitar lessons when I was a kid and I felt great reliving those memories. Smile

Today:
Mostly Autumn - Passengers
Triumvirat - Mediterranean Tales
Klaus Shulze - Picture Music
Quella Vecchia Locanda - Il Tempo Della Gioia
Janus - Gravedigger
Syndone - Odysseas

Edited by Meltdowner - August 27 2014 at 17:41
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 05:26
Cheers, Meltdowner (OK to call you Samuel?), if you, Sagi and others think the Janus album is worth sticking with, I'll keep it in the car a while longer!

Atomic Rooster! You can't go wrong with their first three albums - the self titled, `Death Walks Behind You' and `In Hearing Of'. Start with those, probably the punchy little self titled debut, and marvel at Carl Palmer's terrific drumming in particular. Keyboard player Vincent Crane is the one constant in that band, and his Hammond organ playing is scorching!

What's the Syndone one like? I bought the CD a few weeks ago but haven't listened to it yet!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 06:38
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Well of course I can recommend a million albums before that one but I still like it. It's not complex or changing kind of prog but quite straight forward and sometimes monotonous as you said with those long compositions, but it has a lot of appeal and that vintagy magic, plus some psychedelic guitar playing! at least that's what I remember.
Oh and I know Dave is a fan of this album.

IndeedSmile Although it's mostly that long floating title track that draws me in. I think it's the simplicity of it - little things like the subtle interplay between the mellotron and what sounds like a small claypot drum - that's what really gets me going about it. Not so much the Sabbath driven heavy rock of the first side, although it's far from being bad. Run-o-the-mill s'more like itEmbarrassed
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:28
Klaus Schulze - Irrlicht
Ramones - s/t
Lydia - This December; It's One More And I'm Free
Rush - Presto
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Rush - Hemispheres

Edited by Xonty - August 28 2014 at 16:48
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I've never listened to Atomic Rooster but I've been reading this name a lot. What do you recommend from them
As Michael said you can't go wrong with the first three but I say you can't go wrong with the first four!
Their fourth album Made In England is a recent grower, a real solid album that shows the rooster in an extra tight mode, the playing is really good and sounds quite powerful even though the material has steered away from the heavy rocking stuff of previous albums. 
That said I wouldn't get started with that one, I'd say go with their more classic one Death Walks Behind You.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:47
Thanks, Dave. I'll give that Janus some more spins. You're right about the first side, that's what I'm basing my mostly `ho-hum' opinion on. The second side almost sounds like a different band altogether!

Sagi, yes, `Death Walks Behind You' is pretty solid, but I've never liked that actual title track! Pretty much all good after that though! You're making me dig out `Made in England' again now too! I think the next Rooster album I'm familiar with is the one with the egg on the front, would that be `Nice N Greasy'? Very inconsistent, but the good stuff is very strong!

For todays listening, after Glass Hammer's `Ode To Echo' on the way in, was very distracted at work so settled on an all-electronic afternoon:

Ashra - New Age of Earth
Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene
Kitaro - Oasis
Steve Roach - Structures From Silence
The Orb - Orblivion
Magnetic Wind - Asleep Next To You
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:51
Going all electronic seems to be the best antidote against stressApprove
I do that myself. It's like having this imaginary ocean lapping up against you like an old labrador licking your wounded knee.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 07:58
Word, Dave! Have to say, your description couldn't be more apt as I chose some of the more easier, soothing electronic titles! Wrapped up in pleasing clouds, my friend!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2014 at 08:05
No mental boos for the Kangaroos
The force of prog electronic down-under, directed by Michael Byrd Brother aka the PA gymnast.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 248249250251252 511>