Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2014 at 21:05
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Man, I never got around to finishing that review for `Dun - Eros', Sagi!

Hmmm, I've still got the CD in the car, might give that one a spin on my drive into work shortly!

I don't know how to begin writing a review for this album, I'm afraid it would be too enthusiastic
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 05:29
Yesterday:
PFM - Per Un Amico
Locus Amoenus - Clessidra (Awesome album Michael! Thumbs Up)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 07:17
Glad you liked the Locus album, Sam, nice darker sound on that one! Sagi, if you like that Diagonal band, you should probably check out this one too!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 07:56
Tannahill Weavers - The Old Woman's Dance
Ossian - Dove across the Water
Abel Ganz - s/t
Fish - 13th Star

Edited by someone_else - September 18 2014 at 10:52
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 08:03
Yesterday and this morning:

Electric Orange - Vol 10 (Thrice! Surely a bonafide resurrection of the Krautrock of yore - and I'm talking the real deal, the genuine sense of exploration through sound. Perhaps even more so than last year's The Trip by Djam Karet, which I think is very good. Vol 10 tops it though...by quite a vast margin.)
Crack - Si Todo Hiciera Crack (Spaniards dishing out something very similar to RPI. Very nice symphonic gem)
Kebnekaise - ll (Krautfolk tangy sauce bearnaise served up Scandinavian style)
The Collectors - s/t 
Fläsket Brinner - Fläsket
Jean Cohen-Solal - Captain Tarthopom (Flute prog galore without a hint of Jethro Tull to it)
Nektar - Remember The Future (I'm on the fence about this one. Sometimes I really enjoy it, while there are others where I nearly forget to listen. Yesterday was a good experience though, and I remember thinking it strange that so many fans and internet reviewers hear it as a step away from psychedelia. Lots of psych in the album according to my ears...)
O Terco - Criaturas da Noite
Pan & Regaliz - s/t 
Necromonkey - A Glimpse Of Possible Endings
Ablution - s/t (Swedish jazz rock with fire up it's pooshute)
Ulver & Sun O))) - Terrestrials
The Temptations - All Directions
Rotary Connection - Songs
Com Truise - In Decay (Modern melting pot of every synth sound from the 80s imaginable. Think Top Gun, Ghostbusters and Beverly Hills Cop all scrambled up into something "modern" and, dare I say it, interesting. I really enjoy both Com Truise albums)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 09:11
[QUOTE=Guldbamsen] Yesterday and this morning:
Electric Orange - Vol 10 (Thrice! Surely a bonafide resurrection of the Krautrock of yore - and I'm talking the real deal, the genuine sense of exploration through sound. Perhaps even more so than last year's The Trip by Djam Karet, which I think is very good. Vol 10 tops it though...by quite a vast margin.)/QUOTE]
Funny you mention this, Dave, as I'll have a rave review for it finished in the next day or two, and already your feelings about the `true' Krautrock sound have mirrored my own! Actually, in the back of my mind, I was constantly thinking `Man, I just know Dave will dig this one....'
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 11:18

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Electric Orange - Vol 10 (Thrice! Surely a bonafide resurrection of the Krautrock of yore - and I'm talking the real deal, the genuine sense of exploration through sound. Perhaps even more so than last year's The Trip by Djam Karet, which I think is very good. Vol 10 tops it though...by quite a vast margin.)

Funny you mention this, Dave, as I'll have a rave review for it finished in the next day or two, and already your feelings about the `true' Krautrock sound have mirrored my own! Actually, in the back of my mind, I was constantly thinking `Man, I just know Dave will dig this one....'
I've just listened to half of it for the first time and it was really really good! some truly krautrock excursions, I'll be playing this baby today for sure. Actually I wasn't expecting anything since their previous album was quite boring for me.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 11:33
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I've just listened to half of it for the first time and it was really really good! some truly krautrock excursions, I'll be playing this baby today for sure. Actually I wasn't expecting anything since their previous album was quite boring for me.

Those were the exact same concerns I had coming into this album, Sagi. I don't own either Netto or XX but have heard some tracks over bandcamp and thought it sounded kinda 'samey' - you know that riff based almost post rock sound to it. Safe to say I was completely bowled over by their new...let's just say approach. Man, I'll tell you, if I didn't know any better, I'd say that they'd started experimenting with some hallucinogensLOL 
It actually reminds me of the kind of monstrousness I get from Swans' The Seer, only ten times more psychedelic and Indian-like. Some real Navajo spirit infused in this baby that's for damn sure! Those tribal rhythms belong out among the buffaloes and chanting medicine men. 

Oh and Kangaroo, as always you were feeling the secret ninja line between us. All things considered, listening to this album and knowing my tastes, you'd think they had a picture of me hanging in the studio.

Edited by Guldbamsen - September 18 2014 at 11:35
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 12:35
Haven't had a chance to listen to much today, but I did get the ELP song, Tarkus in there. Approve
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 13:11
The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown - s/t
Caravan - s/t
Genesis - Foxtrot
Nirvana - In Utero
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 16:12
Dun - Eros
Taproban - Strigma
Delusion Squared - s/t
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 16:55
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 17:54
Talk Talk - It's My Life
Porcupine Tree - Signify
Big Big Train - The Underfall yard
The Mermen - The Amazing California Health and Happiness Road Show
Santana - Caravanserai

Donny Doom View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 23:02
Green & Wood - Green & Wood
Mount Salem - Endless
Blood Ceremony - The Eldritch Dark
Iron Man - Generation Void
Hooded Menace - Effigies Of Evil
Druid Lord - Hymns For the Wicked
Warhorse - As Heaven Turns to Ash
Burning Saviours - Hundus
Band of Skulls - Baby Darling Doll Face Honey
Ocean Chief - Oden/Tor
Astra - The Black Chord
Ihsahn - The Adversary
Mastodon - The Hunter
YOB - Atma
Worship - Dooom
Windhand - Soma
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats - Vol 1
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2014 at 23:31
National Health
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 01:55
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Dun - ErosTaproban - StrigmaDelusion Squared - s/t

Sam, I haven't heard all of that first Delusion Squared album, although I've read that the vocals are a bit difficult. The third one I recently reviewed is a really strong album! A good younger band with a strong melodic sound.

Hmmm, first time listening to `Dun - Eros'?! Your thoughts?

What a coincidence, I went back to Taproban's `Strigma' just yesterday as well! Hmmm, might spin it right now at work! Watch out, office!

The last few days...

Locus Amoenus - Clessidra
Taproban - Strigma
Ashra - New Age of Earth
Cherry Five - s/t
Wobbler - Rites at Dawn
Flamborough Head - Unspoken Whisper
Adelbert von Deyen - Nordborg, Atmosphere
Bo Hansson - Attic Thoughts
Logos - L'enigma Della Vita
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 03:06

Sam, I haven't heard all of that first Delusion Squared album, although I've read that the vocals are a bit difficult. The third one I recently reviewed is a really strong album! A good younger band with a strong melodic sound.

Hmmm, first time listening to `Dun - Eros'?! Your thoughts?

What a coincidence, I went back to Taproban's `Strigma' just yesterday as well! Hmmm, might spin it right now at work! Watch out, office!

The last few days...

Locus Amoenus - Clessidra
Taproban - Strigma
Ashra - New Age of Earth
Cherry Five - s/t
Wobbler - Rites at Dawn
Flamborough Head - Unspoken Whisper
Adelbert von Deyen - Nordborg, Atmosphere
Bo Hansson - Attic Thoughts
Logos - L'enigma Della Vita

I read your Delusion Squared review and there were too many Porcupine Tree references for me to ignore. Tongue
I have no problems with her accent: she speaks English better than most French people. LOL

It was the third time I listened to 'Eros' and it's so difficult for me to put into words how amazing that album is. Embarrassed

I listened the other day to Taproban's 'Ogni Pensiero Vola' and I think it's also really good; somehow similar to 'Strigma'.

What can you recommend me from Bo Hansson? I've read that name a lot.

Edited by Meltdowner - September 19 2014 at 03:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 03:25
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I read your Delusion Squared review and there were too many Porcupine Tree references for me to ignore. Tongue I have no problems with her accent: she speaks English better than most French people. LOLIt was the third time I listened to 'Eros' and it's so difficult for me to put into words how amazing that album is. EmbarrassedI listened the other day to Taproban's 'Ogni Pensiero Vola' and I think it's also really good; somehow similar to 'Strigma'.What can you recommend me from Bo Hansson? I've read that name a lot.

Sam, I read some other reviews of that band around the web and some of them seemed to be a bit hard on the singer Lorraine! I was a bit disappointed by that, so I mentioned that she was a real highlight of it. I'll be looking into their previous two CDs shortly. If you hear the `Final Delusion' album, I hope you find the Porcupine Tree influences that I did.

I bought the download of another Taproban album from Mellow Candle, but I forget which one it is (Ha, it's sitting in my car glovebox right now! ), it's got a brown cover, that's all I recall! The music was very much a love-letter to Genesis! I prefer `Strigma', but it was still very decent.

Dun - Eros usesd to really throw me, it's only in the last year or so that I've come to love it. I hear a lot of that band in Anglagard, not sure if anyone else agrees?

Bo Hansson....without question, go for `Attic Thoughts'. Sagi has recently really fallen for that one too. A friend on here gave me his LP of it many years ago, and I fell in love with it instantly. It still holds up after all this time for me, a very mellow, gently trippy instrumental light symphonic work. I bet you'll love it!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 04:36
^ Michael I was just listening to Attic Thoughts myself just a few hours ago when I was on my way home from work, it sounded really good on my earphones too, but sadly I fell a sleep for about ten minutes LOL

I will get another album for sure. Anything you'll recommend?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2014 at 07:09
Todays choices:

Taproban - Strigma
Ars Nova - The Book of the Dead
Le Orme - Contrappunti
Korai Orom - 2013
Syndone - Odysseas
Cousin Silas - Whispers Fall (sublime ambient album, check it out on Bandcamp! - http://freefloatingmusic.bandcamp.com/album/whispers-fall )

Sagi, other than knowing Bo Hansson's `Watership Down' well (and that one is really lovely), I have two of his other albums `Magician's Hat' and `Lord of the Rings', had them for years, but I've rarely spun them. I've simply felt so satisfied with those previous two I mentioned, still enjoying them, that I haven't felt the need to move on yet! I'll agree to give them a spin if you do?!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 511>