Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 17:01
Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung
Focus - Ship of Memories (Nice album that has something from every previous album)
Ozric Tentacles - The Hidden Step (This one is quite different from the ones I heard before, much more Trance influences, which I like too. Thanks again Michael for both great suggestions Thumbs Up)
King Crimson - ITCOTCK
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 17:38
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Popol Vuh - Seligpreisung
Focus - Ship of Memories (Nice album that has something from every previous album)
Ozric Tentacles - The Hidden Step (This one is quite different from the ones I heard before, much more Trance influences, which I like too. Thanks again Michael for both great suggestions Thumbs Up)
King Crimson - ITCOTCK

Hi Sam! `Ship of Memories'....I don't have a proper LP or CD of that one, but I'd grab it if I came across it. I haven't heard any clips of it for quite some time...but I remember it was better than I expected!

Now the real Focus challenge will be the next album, where they teamed up with singer P.J Proby. I expected the worst, but found it to be quite a respectable album! Please post your thoughts when you hear that one!

Ahh, yes, should have given you the heads-up that the later Ozrics ones start to take on more trance/programmed elements. That really kicked in on `Waterfall Cities', actually the first album I heard from them properly, and it's still one of my favourites from them. `The Hidden Step' is probably the last time the band sounded really inspired...I love that mysterious Arabian-themed symphonic piece! I forget the name, it's about three tracks in if I recall!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2014 at 22:41
Today's selections:

Riverside - Shrine of the New Generation
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Ozric Tentacles - Waterfall Cities
Pendragon - Men Who Climb Mountains, Pure, Passion (Have to say, Nick's rap on `Empathy' off `Passion' works pretty well!)
Oregon - Winter Light
Nektar - Journey To The Centre of the Eye
Can - Future Days
Pentacle - La Clef Des Songes (a French prog classic, what lovely vocals especially!)
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 03:32
^ Great list man!

I love those Pendragon albums, and Pure being my favourite album by the band even surpassing Masquerade Overture.
So what do you think of that new album? I'm holding off my purchase for now.
antonyus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 06:26
opeth - pale communion
gentle giant - octopus
eloy - dawn
VDGG - still life
the cars - heartbeat city LOL
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 13:23
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
Tangerine Dream - Zeit
Procol Harum - Grand Hotel
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 16:25
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Hi Sam! `Ship of Memories'....I don't have a proper LP or CD of that one, but I'd grab it if I came across it. I haven't heard any clips of it for quite some time...but I remember it was better than I expected!

Now the real Focus challenge will be the next album, where they teamed up with singer P.J Proby. I expected the worst, but found it to be quite a respectable album! Please post your thoughts when you hear that one!

Ahh, yes, should have given you the heads-up that the later Ozrics ones start to take on more trance/programmed elements. That really kicked in on `Waterfall Cities', actually the first album I heard from them properly, and it's still one of my favourites from them. `The Hidden Step' is probably the last time the band sounded really inspired...I love that mysterious Arabian-themed symphonic piece! I forget the name, it's about three tracks in if I recall!

'Ship of Memories' has some nice tunes from "3" Wink

Yes, that third track is very good! I don't have problem with the trance elements: I listen to some of my brother's progressive trance. As a matter of fact I listened to that Ozric album with him and we both really enjoyed it; it's nice to find some mid-term music. Another related fact, was that he knew PFM's "Impressioni di Settembre" before me, from an italian techno version Tongue

What do you think about that album? I only know "A Tab in the Ocean".

Today:
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Le Orme - Uomo di Pezza
Kansas - s/t

Edited by Meltdowner - October 21 2014 at 16:46
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 18:07
Last couple of days:

Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Mastodon - Crack The Skye
Amplifier - Mystoria
Eloy - Dawn
Rush - Permanent Waves
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Opeth - Watershed
Opeth - Pale Communion (my album of the year, so far)
Hum - Downward Is Heavenward
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2014 at 22:37
Jeff Beck- Beck Ola
Spektakel-same from 1974
Free- Tons of Sobs
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:11

'Ship of Memories' has some nice tunes from "3" Wink

Yes, that third track is very good! I don't have problem with the trance elements: I listen to some of my brother's progressive trance. As a matter of fact I listened to that Ozric album with him and we both really enjoyed it; it's nice to find some mid-term music. Another related fact, was that he knew PFM's "Impressioni di Settembre" before me, from an italian techno version Tongue

What do you think about that album? I only know "A Tab in the Ocean".

Today:
Kansas - s/t

Hey Sam, you should definitely look into `Journey...'. Although it's a little dated and very much of its time, there's still many recognisable sounds from `Tab', but with an added dose of Pink Floyd/60's psychedelic sounds, Moody Blues classy ballad/vocal passages backed with Mellotron and Sensations Fix-like spacerock.

It was one of the first prog/psych albums I got, and as I was overdosing on Syd Barrett/early Floyd at the time, it really clicked with me. In fact, a friend of mine heard the album for the first time just last night and said `Man, this DOES sound like early Floyd!'

Ha, I really like that first Kansas album! You can't go wrong with their first five albums in my opinion! I like that sweeping ballad on that first one, a really nice melody!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 05:17
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

^ Great list man!

I love those Pendragon albums, and Pure being my favourite album by the band even surpassing Masquerade Overture.
So what do you think of that new album? I'm holding off my purchase for now.

`Pure' is a knockout, eh Sagi? Man, `Indigo' is such a modern classic! That endless solo played with some grand emotion in the second half is top-notch.

I've only listened to about the first half twice of `Men Who Climb Mountains' so far....This time around, it seems like there's been a real effort to bring back a lot more of those lovely chiming guitars and acoustic passages like the `classic' era Pendragon, mixing them better with the heavier elements. But, despite a couple of killer choruses, some of the melodies are quite unmemorable, with too many constant lyrics. The heavier elements were now sounding a little tired perhaps as well...I don't know, my friend....let me live with it for a few weeks and I'll report back better!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:00

Hey Sam, you should definitely look into `Journey...'. Although it's a little dated and very much of its time, there's still many recognisable sounds from `Tab', but with an added dose of Pink Floyd/60's psychedelic sounds, Moody Blues classy ballad/vocal passages backed with Mellotron and Sensations Fix-like spacerock.

It was one of the first prog/psych albums I got, and as I was overdosing on Syd Barrett/early Floyd at the time, it really clicked with me. In fact, a friend of mine heard the album for the first time just last night and said `Man, this DOES sound like early Floyd!'

Ha, I really like that first Kansas album! You can't go wrong with their first five albums in my opinion! I like that sweeping ballad on that first one, a really nice melody!

Nice, I love early Floyd. I will listen to it then and re-listen to 'Tab' because I remember it's quite good Wink

Yeah, that Kansas albums is very good: 70's symphonic with great violin work. It's very different from Leftoverture, the only one I knew. Kansas was recommended to me, some months ago: the first seven studio albums and the first live album.
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:23
The Who - Tommy
Harmonium - Si On Avait...
Rush - Permanent Waves

Edited by Xonty - October 22 2014 at 13:12
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 09:43
I'll echo Michael's sentiments on 'Journey'. In fact, I think it's their best albumCool

I was up early because a drunk man kept yelling Hallelujah! outside my window. I think he started around 6 and then worked towards a rhythm - alternating between harsh and grumpy to the strange falsetto like Hallelujahs. He lives in my building and has become quite famous. I'm not sure he knows though - I don't think he senses too much around him tbh.

Anyway, that early in the morning, when my eyes have trouble keeping open and my brain is mush, it's all about electronic music. I had 5 hours to spend before meeting up with my study group and compare notes, so I managed to listen to a lotBig smile

Didier Bocquet - Voyage Cérébral
Cluster - ll
Anna Själv Tredje - Tussilaga Fanfara
Bobby Beausoleil - Lucifer Rising
Steve Moore - Light Echoes
Franco Leprino - Integrati....Disintegrati
Harmonia - Musik Von
Majeure - Solar Maximum
Carlos Beltran - Jerico

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 22 2014 at 11:18
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:07
^ I know that feeling. There are some early morning drunks where I live LOL
I only know that Harmonia album from your list. Can you recommend me some electronic music?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:19

^ I know that feeling. There are some early morning drunks where I live LOL
I only know that Harmonia album from your list. Can you recommend me some electronic music?

Sure thing SamSmile
Have you checked out other electronic acts before? If so, what tickles your fancy the most?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:42
I know mostly from the top PA artist and from some recommendations from Michael, like Mort Garson, Adelbert von Deyen, Cosmic Grounds and I still have to listen to a Steve Roach album. I really like almost any TD related album from the 70's/80's. Also Zanov, Kraftwerk, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre and 'New Age of Earth' from Ashra. I didn't like much "Ambient 4" from Brian Eno though Ermm

Edited by Meltdowner - October 22 2014 at 10:43
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 10:46
You know what, I'm just going to fling a couple of albums in your direction. Sometimes it's funnier that wayBig smile

For Prog Electronic beginners, I'd start out with albums that while being filled to the brim with electronics still have a smidgen of the ol rock:

Tangerine Dream - Force Majeure (The secret gateway drug everyone should indulge themselves in from time to time)
Heldon - Stand By (Half Krautrock half prog electronic - well sometimes the two are the same (hoho) this album is one of my alltime faves. The epic Bolero piece is a masterpiece of PE in my humble opinion - complete with Magma musicians joining in)
Zombi - Spirit Animal (The elephant cover art will tell you why you need to get this)
Bobby Beausoleil - Lucifer Rising (Controversial release from one of the Manson family affiliates, who made this album whilst behind bars for killing a drug dealer - supposedly because he sold him some bad LSD. Anyway, the music is gorgeous - pure and simple. The ending of the album reminds me of Floyd - more particularly Embryo)

For folks who are willing to take things even further for some unadulterated prog electronic without the add-on of rock drums:

Roberto Cacciapaglia - Sonanze
Franco Leprino - Intergrati...Disintegrati
Two Italian styled albums that mix the soul of RPI into these beautiful liquid-like electronics.

Anna Själv Trejde - Tussilago Fanfara (Swampy Floydian Swedish prog electronic with some beautiful Gilmour touches to the guitar. Perfect music for melting butter in pans)

Edited by Guldbamsen - October 22 2014 at 10:50

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:08
I only know Force Majeure from those, and it's probably the album I listened the most from them. That stoty from Lucifer Rising is really crazy Tongue
Thanks for the recommendations Thumbs Up
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2014 at 11:17
No problem Sam, always a pleasure dealing out electronic recs. There are so few of us listening to this kind of stuff anyway, so I welcome everyone new into the clubBig smile

BTW If you dig that Zombi album, then I heartily recommend you check out both members' solo output. Steve Moore's Light Echoes is to die for, and Majeure's Solar Maximum equally soThumbs Up

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 511>