Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 12:46
If that doesn't happen in the near future, then look around after this
Fantastic release really.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 13:34
I never explored their bootlegs, there must me some great music on them. I saw that there's a bootleg with a 25 minute 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast': I would really like to know how they play it live Smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 13:40
Sweet mama! Count me in! 
I really dig that piece. Such a perfect ending to Atom Heart Mother. Very imaginative using the sounds of your roadie cooking breakfast. The bacon sizzles, in particular, work wondersBig smile
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 14:23
It's this one:
http://musicbrainz.org/release/91c379f0-920d-44a6-afca-e4263993acee

I really like that one too, it's a very soothing song and my favourite after the suite. It transmits the same feeling as those acoustic Popol Vuh songs Approve

PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 16:02
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Sweet mama! Count me in! 
I really dig that piece. Such a perfect ending to Atom Heart Mother. Very imaginative using the sounds of your roadie cooking breakfast. The bacon sizzles, in particular, work wondersBig smile
Earlier this year I came across a vinyl of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, the cover has a tree-head, it's really weird, anyway, Alan's adventure goes for 24:01, and is *very* quiet and murky quality. It must've been very visual coz you can hear the ruffling of a newspaper, audience laughter, and various domestic noises for long periods. The flip side has an 18 min Careful With That Axe......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:35
^ Is it this one?
http://www.discogs.com/Pink-Floyd-Allens-Psychedelic-Breakfast/release/2517333

The strange thing is that there are a lot of bootlegs that have the same performance of that song but different lengths, because they were all performed on 22/12/1970 Ermm

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 17:56
^ Yep - Bingo !!! That's the one. It's a recent reissue on red vinyl, I know boots are NOT good, honest product, but a fan just can't help himself.......
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 18:26
^ Curiosity killed the fans' ears (with bad quality recordings), but we don't care LOL
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 19:01
This most beautiful album:

Lisa Ono's versions of the Samba De Uma Nota So, Garota D'Ipanema and Aguas De Marco (sorry, no Portuguese characters) are among the best I have heard, if not the best, and I have heard quite a few. 
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2014 at 19:13
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sam, I'll post my (fairly average) review for `Please Don't Touch' in the next couple of days, let's see if your `2 or 3 interesting tracks' are the same as my 2 or 3!

Love `Song For America', you're spot on about it maturing their sound. Be a little careful of their next album `Masque', bit of a step back without actually being a bad album. Not quite as `proggy'as the first two or following two, but plenty of fine moments pop up throughout.

I'm counting on it then. I did find the album enjoyable though: comparing to other "prog pop" albums, I liked this one better than Roxy Music's 'Avalon' Ermm

Only listened to "The Masquerade Overture" from Pendragon today: it's so much better than the previous album, there's so much emotion in their playing, although I think some keyboard sounds seem quite dated, but it's the best Neo-Prog album I listened (I wasn't constantly looking at the remaining time on this one Tongue)

Aww, shame you didn't like `Avalon', Sam! I found it to be a very dignified send-off. Actually, I rate it as highly as `The Division Bell' by Floyd. `Avalon' has those lovely instrumental tracks, and the poppier numbers still have a classic elegance and sophistication. Much more weight to it than `Flesh and Blood'. I feel it hinted at all sorts of directions the band could move in, but of course that never happened. Mr Ferry has spoken on and off over the years of a new album, but it never comes together...and I don't think it ever will. Probably for the best - a string of great albums without a real belish on their name

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 25 2014 at 19:14
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 04:08

"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 04:48
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Aww, shame you didn't like `Avalon', Sam! I found it to be a very dignified send-off. Actually, I rate it as highly as `The Division Bell' by Floyd. `Avalon' has those lovely instrumental tracks, and the poppier numbers still have a classic elegance and sophistication. Much more weight to it than `Flesh and Blood'. I feel it hinted at all sorts of directions the band could move in, but of course that never happened. Mr Ferry has spoken on and off over the years of a new album, but it never comes together...and I don't think it ever will. Probably for the best - a string of great albums without a real belish on their name
It's my opinion after listening to both albums for the first time, but I can probably change my opinion on both. Also, I think I started 'Avalon' with a bad surprise: I never liked 'More Than This' when it played on the radio, but never had associated this song with Roxy Music. It's probably going to be different the next time I listen.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 07:03
All good, Sam!

For my own listening today:

Fabio Zuffanti - La Quarta Vittima
Tangerine Dream - Le Parc
Steve Hackett - Till' We Have Faces (not quite as bad as it's made out to be)
Ache - De Homine Urbano
Machine Mass Trio - As Real as Thinking

Daevid Allen/Microcosmic - Sacred Geometry - Timeless ambient/raga/ambient/electronic perfection from the main Gong alien! Does anyone else know this one?!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 09:46
^ I read your Steve Hackett review and I think we have the same 3 tracks: 'Kim', 'Land of a Thousand Autumns' and 'Please Don't Touch'. I probably had a good impression of the album because the good tracks were all near the end. Smile

I saw Fabio Zuffanti's name yesterday because I came across La Maschera Di Cera. I haven't listened anything from them, but their description and the reference to Le Orme on their last album piqued my interest.

What do you think about that TD album?

Your description of that Daevid Allen album sounds great! It's on my playlist now Wink

Today:
Le Orme - Contrappunti (Not as good as the previous albums, but still very enjoyable)
PFM - Live in the USA (I was able to endure the version with lyrics of 'Generale'. The last track is very good though, at least it's intrumental. I saw that there is a recent concert in Rome, with all the classics sung in italian, it's probably better in my case)
IQ - Subterranea (Finally an IQ album I like! There's diversity, originality and the prodution is excellent. I listened to this double album much more easily than their previous single album)
Yes - The Ladder (Very ambiguous album. It starts and ends with great prog material and the rest of the album is just forgettable dancey AOR Confused)

Edited by Meltdowner - October 26 2014 at 14:45
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 09:51
It's Sunday and I have more time than usually:

Up to now:

Rabih Abou-Khalil - Il Sospiro
Rabih Abou-Khalil - Yara
Franco Battiato - Concerto di Baghdad
Giuni Russo - Se fossi più simpatica sarei meno antipatica
Quintorigo - Quintorigo Experience
Ataraxia - The Moon Sang On The April Chair

I think I'll proceed with some more Ataraxia
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 15:29
Motorpsycho - The Other Fool EP
Motorpsycho - Let Them Eat Cake
Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol. 2: The MotorSourceMassacre, Motorpsycho, the Source & Deathprod, Live at Kongsberg Jazzfestival 1995
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 17:56
Il Balletto di Bronzo - Ys
Amon Duul II - Wolf City
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2014 at 18:49
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I read your Steve Hackett review and I think we have the same 3 tracks: 'Kim', 'Land of a Thousand Autumns' and 'Please Don't Touch'. I probably had a good impression of the album because the good tracks were all near the end. Smile

I saw Fabio Zuffanti's name yesterday because I came across La Maschera Di Cera. I haven't listened anything from them, but their description and the reference to Le Orme on their last album piqued my interest.

What do you think about that TD album?

Your description of that Daevid Allen album sounds great! It's on my playlist now Wink

Today:
Le Orme - Contrappunti (Not as good as the previous albums, but still very enjoyable)
PFM - Live in the USA (I was able to endure the version with lyrics of 'Generale'. The last track is very good though, at least it's intrumental. I saw that there is a recent concert in Rome, with all the classics sung in italian, it's probably better in my case)
IQ - Subterranea (Finally an IQ album I like! There's diversity, originality and the prodution is excellent. I listened to this double album much more easily than their previous single album)
Yes - The Ladder (Very ambiguous album. It starts and ends with great prog material and the rest of the album is just forgettable dancey AOR Confused)

Mr Zuffanti divides a lot of opinions, Sam! Some think he's a bit of a hack who shamelessly rips off past artists, but I think the guy has great taste and a good ear for new talent (He's responsible for supporting bands like Unreal City, Oxhuitza, etc). You might be aware of the `controversy' around the last `La Maschera di Cera' album that is proposed as a proper `sequel' to the Le Orme classic `Felona e Serona'. It uses just little moments of the same themes, but it more or less stands on it's own. If you don't mind the gravelly voice of the singer on that album, it's pretty decent. But even better is that Zuffanti solo album I mentioned above, I never expected to discover one of the Italian prog albums of the year with it. It's like a mix of classic Italian prog with a modern/contemporary sound (in some ways along the lines of the recent Steven Wilson albums?), but it's full of Italian prog guests who all deliver amazing solo contributions. Probably `Zuffanti and Friends' would have been a fairer name for it, but it's without question one of the best things the guy has put his name to.

Tangerine Dream - Le Parc...Meh. It's not unlistenable, but very lightweight. I picked up an LP copy of it for $10 a week ago. I had it on in the background at work, but we were slaughtered with phonecalls so I was in a foul mood, and that album was pissing me off! I'll try again when it's quieter.

Might dig out that `PFM - Live in the USA' for the drive into work, I've got a rip of my CD in the car. I remember it had a slightly rougher sound than their studio performances.

Yep, `The Ladder' is a mixed bag...some cool proggy stuff and some real throwaway pop moments. Like most of their modern albums, to be fair! You should give `Magnification' a try, that's been their best modern album by a mile.
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2014 at 04:00
Only a couple today:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 273274275276277 511>