Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 13:26
Anathema - Distant Satellites
The Doors - Morrison Hotel
Can - Monster Movie
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 14:16
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
PFM - AD 2010 - La Buona Novella (Nice at first than boring after half an hour. Too much vocals and not very progressive for my taste)
Gong - I See You (This new album is really cool, it sounds like a mix of the RGI trilogy and their jazzy next three albums)
Utopia - The Garden (It was quite good after all, especialy the jazzy 'Journey's Friend')
PFM - Un Amico (A live release of Per Un Amico sung in italian, except Generale, although this one is even shorter than the studio album. Couldn't they extend and improvise a little? Confused)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 14:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Stomu Yamash'ta - Red Buddha (Twice!)
Fire! Orchestra - Enter (Wow...just wow. This one continues to get better and better with every spin. We may have a contender for AOTY for yours truly. Fusion meets Krautrock with a slight avant tinge, although that doesn't even come close to describing this band's true sound. HUUUUGE big band a la Duke Ellington playing everything but straight up big band jazz.)
Krakatau - Water Near A Bridge (Organ, bass and drums conjure up a modern throwback album taking you straight back into TD Alpha Centauri era.)
Read your Red Buddha review yesterday, that seems like an awesome experience Cool
Those other two albums must be great, I'll have to listen to those Big smile
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 14:42
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Stomu Yamash'ta - Red Buddha (Twice!)
Fire! Orchestra - Enter (Wow...just wow. This one continues to get better and better with every spin. We may have a contender for AOTY for yours truly. Fusion meets Krautrock with a slight avant tinge, although that doesn't even come close to describing this band's true sound. HUUUUGE big band a la Duke Ellington playing everything but straight up big band jazz.)
Krakatau - Water Near A Bridge (Organ, bass and drums conjure up a modern throwback album taking you straight back into TD Alpha Centauri era.)
Read your Red Buddha review yesterday, that seems like an awesome experience Cool
Those other two albums must be great, I'll have to listen to those Big smile

Ohh it is SamBig smile One of the most unique sounding albums in my collections. You could say that Red Buddha is like a second cousin to the Italian band Aktuala, although they really don't sound alike.......but there is that omnipresent usage and drive of the percussion instruments featured in both. It's an experience allright, and the more you get into it the more those hidden melodies start to appear.
Fire! Orchestra is an acquired taste, or so I've been toldLOL It is however one of the most successful modern bands to play "difficult" music (although it has a very fluid and psychedelic feel to it). They've played numerous of sold-out gigs in Copenhagen - and to folks who know absolutely nothing of prog and classic fusion. 
Krakatau? You're on your own matey!LOL Nahh I remember you digging some Krautrock, but this is in the more unfathomable end of the spectrum. Approach with caution my friendSmile

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 15:59

Ohh it is SamBig smile One of the most unique sounding albums in my collections. You could say that Red Buddha is like a second cousin to the Italian band Aktuala, although they really don't sound alike.......but there is that omnipresent usage and drive of the percussion instruments featured in both. It's an experience allright, and the more you get into it the more those hidden melodies start to appear.
Fire! Orchestra is an acquired taste, or so I've been toldLOL It is however one of the most successful modern bands to play "difficult" music (although it has a very fluid and psychedelic feel to it). They've played numerous of sold-out gigs in Copenhagen - and to folks who know absolutely nothing of prog and classic fusion. 
Krakatau? You're on your own matey!LOL Nahh I remember you digging some Krautrock, but this is in the more unfathomable end of the spectrum. Approach with caution my friendSmile
Ok, I'll check those first two albums, I still have some early TD albums to check first... and a lot of Krautrock... and a lot of PE Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 17:53
I know how you feel Sam. Currently trying to brush up on some 2014 releases and the more I dig the more I find.
Listened to Solaris new one today, and it is smoking. Definitely going on my list!
I could use an extra set of ears with all the music out there....

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 18:06
Yep, too much music to discover and only two ears LOL
I was going to listen to the first Solaris a few month ago, but I forgot about it. Good thing that I write those things on a text file now Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 18:12

Tell me about it! I have two full pages of bands and albums that I either need to check out or buy. Both pages written in tiny letters too. I gather it'll take me at least a year (or two) to get through....but then again I'll have something to look forward to.
BTW that Solaris debut is killer!

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 18:18
Right, because you also check new releases from other genres? I think the only new non-prog releases I listened are from portuguese bands Ermm

I will have to also check it CryLOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 18:33
Oh yes that's one of the downsides/upsides to having an eclectic taste in music.
One of my absolute faves this year is a disco album, if you can believe that! Todd Terje's It's Album Time. Modern electronic disco made for headphones.
Might be easier (and a whole lot cheaper) if I'd just stick with what I know, but that's not how I roll.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 18:41
I also don't listen only to prog but in other genres I rarely feel the urge to discover new music like I feel with prog. Good for you, though Smile
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 18:55
The return of Z!!!!

Devin Townsend--Z2 3-disc special edition. ( yup. Album of the year for me. I absolutely love it. It's even better than Z1. ;)
While Heaven Wept--Fear Of Infinity.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 19:09
ELO - Face the Music
Solstafir - Otta
Latin Mass - Haydn
Piero E I Cottonfields
Dio - Last in Line

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2014 at 19:34

One of my absolute faves this year is a disco album, if you can believe that! Todd Terje's It's Album Time. Modern electronic disco made for headphones. 

I do listen to select disco and funk, but I classify it as "entertainment" rather than "music". Disco stimulates an entirely different set of neuron circuits than high-brow music does. It's like reading a collection of silly limericks vs. a good book on popular astronomy Geek 

By the way, most of the It's Album Time doesn't sound like disco to me. This does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WlJwltPk_U
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 00:53
Well, technically it was yesterday iso today, but who cares...

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 01:12
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Solaris - Martian Chronicles II 2014!!

How is this one, Sagi? I was considering ordering it!

Michael, I'm actually listening to it right now for the third time. It's definitely a good album especially the first couple tracks!! Fantastic stuff really, though I doubt I will like it more than that classic debut. It has more emphasis on ethnical themes which I really dig, I don't see it as a continuation of that first album but who cares? It is still great music with a lot of striking moments. I can definitely see you enjoying this album.

Yesterday

Solaris - Martian.. (2014)
Biglietto Per Linferno.folk - Tra L'assurdo... (What an amazing album!!!!!!)
Etna - Puzzle (Bernard Paganotti)
Novalis - S/T
Crack The Sky - Animal Notes (one of the most enjoyable albums I know, it is sheer brilliance!)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 05:54
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

Michael, I'm actually listening to it right now for the third time. It's definitely a good album especially the first couple tracks!! Fantastic stuff really, though I doubt I will like it more than that classic debut. It has more emphasis on ethnical themes which I really dig, I don't see it as a continuation of that first album but who cares? It is still great music with a lot of striking moments. I can definitely see you enjoying this album.

Thanks, my friend, your word is reason to purchase it enough! So it seems like they've simply used the `brand name' for attention, but I don't care too much if the music itself is good!

My choices tonight:

Hoelderlin - s/t
Sensations Fix - Visions' Fugitives
Tetragon - Stretch - A repetitive but cool instrumental Hammond/scorching guitar knockout from 1971, haven't spun this in years.

Tangerine - Sorcerer 2014 - what to say about this...The main disc is a superb reimagining and expanding of the original soundtrack in their vintage era style, while the second disc is effortlessly cool, floating ambient with light dance elements and is far and away some of the best music they've produced in yeeeeeeears! Each album would be incredible on their own, but together it's a perfect double CD set!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 08:38
Cherry 5
Maxophone
PFM- Choc Kings
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 11:41
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Cherry 5
Maxophone
PFM- Choc Kings
Great stuff Doc!
Maxophone is in my top 5 albums...seriously.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 14:01
Steve Roach - Bloodmoon Rising (How did he record this without falling asleep LOL)
Fire! Orchestra - Enter (Really cool album David, and also very weird, especially the third track, that woman is crazy LOL It reminds me of KC's Lizard and Islands, which I really like)
Solaris - The Martian Chronicles (Amazing album, the hard rock guitar riffs, the incredible synth work and nice flute playing. Love it! Big smile)
Brian Eno - Another Green World (I prefer this one to Ambient 4, the short songs work better on this kind of music.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 287288289290291 511>