Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 14:15
Monday:

Swans - The Seer
Swans - We Rose from Your Bed with the Sun in Our Head
Swans - To Be Kind

Yesterday:

Bushman's Revenge - Jitterbug
Elephant9 - Dodovoodoo
Elephant9 - Walk the Nile
Elephant9 with Reine Fiske - Atlantis

Today:

Motorpsycho - Little Lucid Moments
Motorpsycho - Heavy Metal Fruit
Motorpsycho - Roadwork Vol. 4
Motorpsycho and Ståle Storløkken - The Death Defying Unicorn

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

So you subconsciously already knew about them? Big smile

Looks like a favourable review, was it? Would love it if you took the time to translate and share some of it, Sam, my Portuguese is a bit rusty. Wink
I guess so, it's probably because it reminds me of the cherries of Super Mario Bros 2, but much more detailed Tongue

Beware, here goes my odd translation:
"Norwegian Sun

The norwegian Jaga Jazzist of Lars Horntveth returned with other ten celebrations in the form of healthy music.
Although in this album there's no surprise in every corner like the first albums, there's a lot of effort to do so.
Summoning the memory of Steve Reich, Fela Kuti or Frank Zappa, the music is again a puzzle, where jazzy figures, electronic movements, rock heritage or cinematic music combine with a disarming effectiveness, without losing complexity or harmony, on a wide symbiosis that recovers good popular music references.
With the help of John McEntire(Tortoise), the result is passionate, addictive and mandatory."

I tell you, these reviews are like poetry, I couldn't even understand some of the expressions in portuguese Confused
LOL Thanks for the translation, Sam. Enjoyable little read. Smile

Fire! Orchestra - Enter (Really cool album David, and also very weird, especially the third track, that woman is crazy LOL It reminds me of KC's Lizard and Islands, which I really like)
Solaris - The Martian Chronicles (Amazing album, the hard rock guitar riffs, the incredible synth work and nice flute playing. Love it! Big smile)
Brian Eno - Another Green World (I prefer this one to Ambient 4, the short songs work better on this kind of music.)
Excellent albums all three. Clap

Edited by The Bearded Bard - November 26 2014 at 14:19
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:09

Steve Roach - Bloodmoon Rising (How did he record this without falling asleep LOL)
Solaris - The Martian Chronicles (Amazing album, the hard rock guitar riffs, the incredible synth work and nice flute playing. Love it! Big smile)

Sam, I am fascinated by these sort of tracks. I wish I understood how ambient artists compose these sort of pieces, knowing when is enough, when to implement subtle variations, etc. Truth is, I wish I had the musical skills and knowledge to write and perform this sort of music myself. I should have taken it up twenty years ago, don't feel it's much use starting now.

Glad you dig `Martian Chronicles', it's an album both Sagi and I rate as simply one of THE best 80's prog albums, as good as anything from the classic Seventies period.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:39
There are probably some guiding rules for making this kind of music and of course the expertise of the musicians. I don't think it needs as much musical skills as other prog genres, it takes a lot of time and patience to know what you're doing though. Lately, I've been trying to compose a little classical guitar piece but I still don't think I have the musical knowledge to do it. I started learning 'Mood for a Day' from Yes instead Tongue

Indeed, that album is something truly special
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2014 at 18:50
Gorod- A Perfect Absolution - that tech death mmm

PoiL - Brossaklitt - That insane freaking awesome RIO/Avant/Zheul band. :O

And then I listened to myself because I'm like that.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 17:07
Utopia - Artificial (Easily their best original release)
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Roting Vegetables (Some hardcore punk to change)
The Clash - Sandinista! (I didn't like this album when I used to listen to their first three albums a lot but for the first time I liked it. They seem to play whatever they want on this one, lots of different genres and interesting (crazy?) ideas. Every track is completely different, it doesn't even seem like it's a 2 and a half hour album Smile)
Hoederlin - s/t (Lovely album Michael Thumbs Up)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 17:24

Utopia - Artificial (Easily their best original release)
Hoederlin - s/t (Lovely album Michael Thumbs Up)

Yes, I think `Artificial' probably was their best release, it at least lacks the padding of the previous double disc. Hoep you enjoyed that Beatles pastiche track better than I did!

Ha, I'm actually playing that Hoelderlin album at work right now!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 17:37
^ If you see it as an homage to the masters and not a copy, it's a nice song Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2014 at 18:53
I think it's the `come together' bit that grates on my nerves, Sam!

You know, my mate who I went to all the Yes/T.Dream shows with and I actually saw Unitopia play live in Melbourne some years back. It was a surprise, because while there's no shortage on Aussie prog-metal bands, there's almost none that perform proper vintage symphonic prog type of stuff. We couldn't believe we were going to see a real deal "prog" band, even if they were from out own country! Anyway, we went along...and I don't think there was more than 25 people there! I said to my friend `Enjoy the show, because we'll never see them down here live again....' Sadly, there's such a small market for little prog bands like that.

Mind you, they pull a decent crowd on their live DVD, can't remember where it was filmed, somewhere in Europe I think?
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 07:37
I'm listening Tales from Topographic Oceans Big smile, i love this album, the first song is beautiful, the second has a very nice voice and melody, the 'Ancient' song is a bit odd but it's nice too, the last song.., is a MasterPiece!!!!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 07:44
^ Yeah, really good album, haven't listened to that one in a while though. Bem-vindo! Smile
Walton Street View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 07:48
Although it looks and sounds prog-ish, it's a book on CD.
I recently moved to a small town outside the city so I have a long and lousy commute and found that these 'books' help a lot.

"I know one thing: that I know nothing"

- SpongeBob Socrates
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 08:01
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I think it's the `come together' bit that grates on my nerves, Sam!

You know, my mate who I went to all the Yes/T.Dream shows with and I actually saw Unitopia play live in Melbourne some years back. It was a surprise, because while there's no shortage on Aussie prog-metal bands, there's almost none that perform proper vintage symphonic prog type of stuff. We couldn't believe we were going to see a real deal "prog" band, even if they were from out own country! Anyway, we went along...and I don't think there was more than 25 people there! I said to my friend `Enjoy the show, because we'll never see them down here live again....' Sadly, there's such a small market for little prog bands like that.

Mind you, they pull a decent crowd on their live DVD, can't remember where it was filmed, somewhere in Europe I think?
It the same way here as well, there are not much vintage/symphonic prog bands here and they probably play one or two concerts a year for a dozen of people. Surprisingly José Cid's symphonic prog concerts were a success: he started with two concerts and played another two after those, all sold out, although many people didn't even know what he was playing LOL. I'm glad I went to one of those Smile

PA says it was recorded on The Netherlands, it seems like a prog paradise Big smile
'PiphanyRambler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 08:07
Sigur Ros - með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (I can never write the title without copypasting it). Love the folky and poppier sound they display on there.
Soup - Children of E.L.B. An album of pretty post rock, influenced greatly, but not only, by Sigur Ros.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 15:53
ELP - Works Vol. 1 (First listen. Really good album, I think it's highly underated Ermm)
Klaus Schulze - Body Love
Tangerine Dream - Cyclone (I have mixed feelings about this one, I probably need to listen to this one more.)
Andromeda Mega Express Orchestra - Live on Planet Earth (Very good (avant-jazz?) album, really unpredictable and incoherent Smile)
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 16:07
Yesterday:

Motorpsycho - Still Life with Eggplant
Motorpsycho - Behind the Sun

Today:

Birds and Buildings - Bantam to Behemoth
Birds and Buildings - Multipurpose Trap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 19:31

Tangerine Dream - Cyclone (I have mixed feelings about this one, I probably need to listen to this one more.)

I'm the same with this one, Sam. It's certainly a decent album, but I much prefer their albums on either side of it. I'm mot adverse to them using vocalists once in a while (I also think their 80's album `Tyger' with the female singer is rather good), but I find them a little forced here, like he's trying a bit too hard. I also think the instrumental track on the second side is kind of `by the numbers', even if it's really nice to listen to.

I know Tom Ozric and Dave Guldbamsen rate it very highly.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 20:35
Maxophone
Cherry 5
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2014 at 23:50
Two great Italian albums there, Dr Wu!

For my own listening today:

Finch - Beyond Expression
Ainur - The Lost Tales
Tangerine Dream - Rockoon, Cyclone
Ramases - Glass Top Coffin
Mongol - Doppler 444
Ayreon - The Theory of Everything
Astrolabio - L'Isolamento dei Numero Pari
Michael Brueckner - Thirteen Rites of Passage
Scott Lawlor and EugeneKha - Jupiter's Cyclone (a hugely challenging 5 (!) hour electronic/drone set, wonderful if you have the patience)

Asia Minor - Between Flesh and Divine (Sagi, this is another one of those defining 80s albums like Solaris for me, do you know this one?)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 06:46

I'm the same with this one, Sam. It's certainly a decent album, but I much prefer their albums on either side of it. I'm mot adverse to them using vocalists once in a while (I also think their 80's album `Tyger' with the female singer is rather good), but I find them a little forced here, like he's trying a bit too hard. I also think the instrumental track on the second side is kind of `by the numbers', even if it's really nice to listen to.

I know Tom Ozric and Dave Guldbamsen rate it very highly.
I saw Tom's review and I thought I was missing something on this one. Good to know that it's not just me Smile

Nice listening day you had by the way. What do you think of Rockoon? Ermm
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2014 at 10:37

Asia Minor - Between Flesh and Divine (Sagi, this is another one of those defining 80s albums like Solaris for me, do you know this one?)
I don't have it but I've heard it a few times over the years, and although I think it's a good album it never really blew me away or really grabbed me Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 511>