Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:03
`Optical Race' is a terrific album, Tom, (well, maybe the upbeat title track pushes the friendship a little! ), so many very strong melodies, and it's interesting enough to either enjoy in the background or as an attentive listen. They may have made plenty of better albums, but it's in my top five personal TD favourites.

This track is superb as well:

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:09
I forgot - Lily On The Beach is my least fave TD, Optical being 2nd least fave. Too hot for my Chinchilla indeed
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:12
Tom, your Chincilla demands you give `Optical Race' another spin!

Dammit, where's Sam?! I recently convinced him to buy a copy of `OR', and he was singing it's praises to me the other day, he'll back me up!

Has it been a lot of years since you've heard them? I really don't find that trio of `Optical Race/Melrose/Lily...' as bad as they're made out to be (although they do go in order of best to worst with diminishing returns as you go along), and you'd probably be a bit more forgiving of them if you gave them a new spin. I definitely find good value moments on all of those.
Man Overboard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 03:41
Today, I listened to Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?, King James Version, and Little By Little by Harvey Danger twice apiece, and then moved on to Eyedea & Abilities's album By The Throat. Smile
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 04:19
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Guru Guru - Hinten

Ah, so you're a bit of an ass-man, eh Sam?! I'm happy to admit that I am....well, you know, except when it comes to awful hairy fellas on the front of Guru Guru albums!

Just kidding, my friend! Hmm, might give that album a play right now myself!
LOL The music is much better than the cover fortunately Tongue

Yeah, the title track of Optical Race is the worst one, especialy because it's very different from the album's mood. Good for a Sonic the Hedgehog video game though Tongue
I really like the album, it has a great relaxed mood that doesn't get ruined by agressive programmed drums like some of their next albums. It also has interesting and sometimes unpredictable progressions and song constructions. I also find the technological aspect of the album interesting, the fact that it was made using a classic Atari ST with software from the recent Steinberg company (I imagine it was a collaboration with them). Smile It certainly doesn't deserve all the hate and the really low rating and I think it's better than Melrose. I don't know 'Lily on the Beach'... should I?
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 13:34
Yesterday:

Fire! - You Liked Me Five Minutes Ago
Fire! with Jim O'Rourke - Unreleased?
Fire! with Oren Ambarchi - In the Mouth - A Hand
Fire! Orchestra - Exit
Fire! - (Without Noticing)
Fire! Orchestra - Enter

Today:

Volcano the Bear - Golden Rhythm / Ink Music
Shining - In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be a Monster
Shining - Grindstone
Shining - Blackjazz
Shining - One One One
Kayo Dot - Coffins on Io
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2015 at 22:39
I am reluctant to give Optical Race a spin........
However, these are the albums my TT has spun this weekend :
PANZERPAPPA - Astromalist
SEMIRAMIS - Dedicato a Frazz
THE ENID - In The Region Of Summer Stars
NEW TROLLS - Searching For A Land
KAJAGOOGOO - Islands and some 12" E.P.'s (really digging these guys lately, as if you can't tell)
MASTODON - Crack The Skye
JOURNEY - Dream After Dream
.....and currently the debut album of DIAGONAL.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 17:05
Motorpsycho and Ståle Storløkken - En konsert for folk flest (A Concert for Most People) (2015)
Listened to this multiple times today. Characteristic Motorpsycho hard rock blended perfectly with the sounds of Storløkken's fingerworks on the mighty Nidaros Cathedral's newly restored Steinmeyer organ, and the choir. Two firsts for the band; lyrics written for a choir, and in Norwegian. A quirky, humorous, yet serious, approach to an intricate and, for us Norwegians, personal, and perhaps for some even touchy LOL, subject: the Norwegian people, who we are and what we do. An ambitious project executed at a grand location resulting in yet another special Motorpsycho album.

Edited by The Bearded Bard - April 26 2015 at 17:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2015 at 19:58
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Yeah, the title track of Optical Race is the worst one, especialy because it's very different from the album's mood. Good for a Sonic the Hedgehog video game though Tongue
It certainly doesn't deserve all the hate and the really low rating and I think it's better than Melrose. I don't know 'Lily on the Beach'... should I?

Sonic the Hedgehog!! Funniest thing I've read on here in ages, mate, and 100% true! I can picture the little blue jerk racing for those rings accompanied by that track as we speak! I say jerk, because I was always a Mario man, and I sucked at the Sonic games! I'd even take Alex the Kidd over him!

I think `Race', `Melrose' and `Lily' are kind of a trilogy of sorts, they all have a fairly similar sound (although `Race' is the best by far), and they all have superior tracks. Definitely throwaway moments, and on the latter two the sax was starting to be brought in, but if you like `Race', you should find good moments on them as well, Sam.

Just a few choices from last night:

Annexus Quam – Osmose
Akasha – s/t
Soft Machine – Fifth

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 26 2015 at 20:01
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 01:48
^ That AQ album is a bit of a gem, actually. So is SM 5. I still haven't fully warmed to the AKASHA album yet.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 03:21
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ That AQ album is a bit of a gem, actually. So is SM 5. I still haven't fully warmed to the AKASHA album yet.

I used to really like it, but giving it a fresh spin the other night, it was a shcoking night at work, endless phone calls every two or three minutes, so I was stopping and starting it, plus there's those kind of strained vocals - drove me MAD!! Turned it off after 15 minutes this time!

Yep, the `Osmose' album calmed me down nicely though!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 05:20

Sonic the Hedgehog!! Funniest thing I've read on here in ages, mate, and 100% true! I can picture the little blue jerk racing for those rings accompanied by that track as we speak! I say jerk, because I was always a Mario man, and I sucked at the Sonic games! I'd even take Alex the Kidd over him!

I think `Race', `Melrose' and `Lily' are kind of a trilogy of sorts, they all have a fairly similar sound (although `Race' is the best by far), and they all have superior tracks. Definitely throwaway moments, and on the latter two the sax was starting to be brought in, but if you like `Race', you should find good moments on them as well, Sam.
I prefer Mario as well, but both have great music. Alex Kidd is a great kidd, really fun game Big smile
Speaking of Mario, I really like this cover of one of my favourite tracks, very progressive Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7vs2cqX3tw

I'll give Lily a listen then, I probably heard worse albums from them Tongue

This weekend:
Quarteto 1111 - Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas
Vangelis - Spiral
Arena - Seventh Degree of Separation (This album is quite good, I guess the lower rating is because of the six years of expectation and the heavier sound. Nolan is not much present, but Mitchell really shines here. Manzi's vocals are not very convincing, but on the concert I saw last week he added a lot of emotion to this albums' tracks Smile)
King Crimson - Islands
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 06:53

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I used to really like it, but giving it a fresh spin the other night, it was a shcoking night at work, endless phone calls every two or three minutes, so I was stopping and starting it, plus there's those kind of strained vocals - drove me MAD!! Turned it off after 15 minutes this time!

Yep, the `Osmose' album calmed me down nicely though!

I don't have that Osmose album but I've listened to it a few times on the tube over the years, it's definitely good.
I'm guessing it was released on CD right?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:09
Originally posted by Sagichim Sagichim wrote:

I don't have that Osmose album but I've listened to it a few times on the tube over the years, it's definitely good.

Yeah, it's great, Sagi, a lazy comparison would be a mix of early Floyd with jazz and a pinch of RPI!

I've got a vinyl reissue I transferred onto the computer, but looking on Discogs, there seems to have been CD reissues up until about 2008, so probably wouldn't be too hard to track down?

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - April 27 2015 at 07:17
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:38

Yeah, it's great, Sagi, a lazy comparison would be a mix of early Floyd with jazz and a pinch of RPI!

I've got a vinyl reissue I transferred onto the computer, but looking on Discogs, there seems to have been CD reissues up until about 2008, so probably would be too hard to track down?

Thanks man I'll try and track down this album, I feel I gotta have it in my collection and also I'll try to play it today.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 07:50

I've got a vinyl reissue I transferred onto the computer, but looking on Discogs, there seems to have been CD reissues up until about 2008, so probably would be too hard to track down?

Thanks man I'll try and track down this album, I feel I gotta have it in my collection and also I'll try to play it today.

That's great, my friend, I think it's a beautiful addition to my collection, and I"m sure it would be to yours as well. It's an album I really don't listen to often enough, and every time I do, I think `Why aren't I listening to this all the time?!'!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 18:44
Murple - Io Sono Murple (Such a great musical trip Thumbs Up)
Baffo Banfi and Matteo Cantaluppi - Frontera (Very good new release from this Italian electronic artist. It has some danceable beats but very discrete, many interesting progressions and an obvious Italian touch Wink Certainly a better comeback than the new Jarre song LOL)
Daal - Dances of the Drastic Navels (I heard Floyd, Marillion and Tangerine Dream on this album Tongue)
Handwrist - Random by Design (Great new album from this jazzy Avant-Prog Space Rock multi-instrumentalist. Soon on PA Smile)

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 19:23
Ponty, Jean-Luc, Stephan Grappelli, Stuff Smith    Jazz Violin Summit    1967            565    5/23/00    30    537
Gruntz, George et. Al.    Percussion Profiles    1977        Sep.    935    7/5/04    56    799
Gismonti, Egberto    Works    1981    1978-        525    7/10/99        1222
Oldfield, Mike    Light + Shade    2005            1168    12/23/05    120    578
Genesis    ...and then there were three...    1978            133    1/1/01        33

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

poeghost View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 20:13
The Beatles - Help!
The Beatles - With The Beatles
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
Magma - 1001 Centigrades
Gentle Giant - The Power and The Glory
The Doors - The Best of the Doors

Special Collaborator