Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 492493494495496 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ier View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 12:05
Almost the entire discography of Amplifier! Still surprised not many people know this band!

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 14:54
Dom - Edge Of Time. What really caught my attention was the band's name, which means "house" in Polish. This appeared quite interesting to me when I read this was a krautrock outfit with one of its members from Poland. So, I had to take the listen. As primitive and formal the cover looks, the music on Edge Of Time is nothing short of a futuristic journey. In fact, I had to check if the last track is not a modern remix - it sounded that futuristic! The acid folk elements placed on ambient, electronic "clouds" work perfectly well! Great listen!
Henry Cow - 40th Anniversary Box Set, Volume 6. Being a die-hard Henry Cow fan, I had to get to the second 40th Anniversary Box Set sometime, especially considering that I've really enjoyed the first one. The same story with this, at least volume 6. One of the highlights is the full version of "Erk Gah" and also an unexpected pop-like shanty "No More Songs". Recommended!
Heldon - Allez Teia. I had had the name "Heldon" in my mind for many months before checking their music out a month ago or so. I really like the electric electronic sound that they have, a mix of German-flavored electronic symphonies and Robert Fripp's guitar works. "In Wake Of King Fripp", the opener, is absolutely killer and one of the tracks that really sticks with you. BTW, I've managed to recreate the exact same guitar tone as on that piece today using a BOSS PH-2 Super Phaser and TC Hall Of Fame reverb through my 1960 Gibson GA-5 amp, if anyone is interested in that sort of tech stuff.
Cos - Viva Boma. The Belgian Canterbury, huh? At times, this really sounds close to National Health. And I mean really close. There are flavors of Quiet Sun, too. But, all in all this album is, in my book, just ok. Nothing really to write home about, besides a few really climax-y moments with juicy fuzz organ or Amanda Parsons-like singing in French. Excellent musicianship is one of the album's strongest points. I guess it will need a few more listens.
Harmonia - Live 1974. After really enjoying Harmonia's debut album, I wanted to check out their live performances from around that period. Once again, this is just good, but lacks this spark that makes Musik Von Harmonia such an enjoyable listen. But it's nice relaxing music! I like it nonetheless.

I've also watched the BBC Four documentary Krautrock: The Rebirth Of Germany and it was a really nice film. Even my mom, who is not all that much into Krautrock (besides Tangerine Dream and Kraftwerk) took her time to watch the whole thing. I really appreciate it!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 00:45
The Modern Lovers - s/t
Rush - "Hold Your Fire"
Rush - "Vapor Trails"
Jamie xx - "In Colour"
Baden Powell - "Apaixonado"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 02:26
Monday...

Slow Green Thing - Slow Green Thing I
Ice Howl - Crack The Earth
Moon Circle - Moon Circle
The Rising Sun Experience - Beyond The Oblivious Abyss
Electric Moon - Inferno
Muschio - Zeda

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 04:34
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Dom - Edge Of Time. What really caught my attention was the band's name, which means "house" in Polish. This appeared quite interesting to me when I read this was a krautrock outfit with one of its members from Poland. So, I had to take the listen. As primitive and formal the cover looks, the music on Edge Of Time is nothing short of a futuristic journey. In fact, I had to check if the last track is not a modern remix - it sounded that futuristic! The acid folk elements placed on ambient, electronic "clouds" work perfectly well! Great listen!
Heldon - Allez Teia. I had had the name "Heldon" in my mind for many months before checking their music out a month ago or so. I really like the electric electronic sound that they have, a mix of German-flavored electronic symphonies and Robert Fripp's guitar works. "In Wake Of King Fripp", the opener, is absolutely killer and one of the tracks that really sticks with you. BTW, I've managed to recreate the exact same guitar tone as on that piece today using a BOSS PH-2 Super Phaser and TC Hall Of Fame reverb through my 1960 Gibson GA-5 amp, if anyone is interested in that sort of tech stuff.
Cos - Viva Boma. The Belgian Canterbury, huh? At times, this really sounds close to National Health. And I mean really close. There are flavors of Quiet Sun, too. But, all in all this album is, in my book, just ok. Nothing really to write home about, besides a few really climax-y moments with juicy fuzz organ or Amanda Parsons-like singing in French. Excellent musicianship is one of the album's strongest points. I guess it will need a few more listens.
It always reminds me of "A Saucerful of Secrets" but much more trippy Cool
That's cool. The other day I used two different phasers with my synth and I really liked the result Smile
It sounds like French but it isn't, it's all made-up Tongue

Arena - s/t
Zacht Automaat - Normality Bias
Zacht Automaat - We Can't Help You If We Can't Find You
Ad Maiora - Repetita Iuvant
Lou Donaldson - Mr. Shing-a-Ling
Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg
Hedersleben - Die Neuen Welten
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 05:04
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Zacht Automaat - Normality Bias
Zacht Automaat - We Can't Help You If We Can't Find You

How did you like Zacht Automaat? Smile
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 05:10
^ It's great and the retro production quality is a nice touch. I think the second one is better though, the songs on the first are really short.
By the way, do you know Hedersleben? If you like Neu! and Popol Vuh, I bet you'd like the one I listened to.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 05:12
^I've never even heard that name. Will have to check that one out! Thanks for the heads up! Wink
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 14:30
Just keeping it heavy and paying a small tribute to one of the very best bands I know or have discovered... The great, Fates Warning. New album (Theories of Flight) is out next week. The reviews are extremely positive thus far.

Today and yesterday.

Fates Warning-- Disconnected. ( god, I love FW!! They nail it here. )
Fates warning-- Darkness in a Different light ( my album of the year in 2013, which was a monster good year in Prog. )
Fates Warning-- Still Life. ( one of the best live alums an FW fan can get. )
Fates Warning-- awaken the guardian. ( banshee Jon Arch makes this a classic!)
Lacuna Coil-- Delirium. ( not bad. It's quite heavy but I need more time with it. )
Airbag-- Disconnected. ( I have no problem with this one. It sedates me in a wonderful way. Airbag just play to their strengths on this one. )
The Mission-- Carved In Sand. ( wow. Now that's beautiful gothic rock. Great melodies and guitar work. )
The Eden House-- Half-Life ( I really love this Nephilim and Delerium combination. Such a great band. All the albums have mega huge sound quality put into them cause of Andy Jackson. )
Front 242--Up Evil ( you won't find much better industrial tech than this. Very innovative and way ahead of its time. Sounds great bloody loud too! )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2016 at 14:36

Charles Mingus - Mingus at Carnegie Hall. I thought I would go back to this album. For many months, I've considered this as an absolute #1 when it comes to live-cut jazz albums. The whole band Mingus is playing with is STEAMIN'! On "C-Jam Blues" the improvisation goes from bebop, through cool jazz and hardbop, to free-jazz, while based on traditional jazz-blues changes. It seems to be the capstone of what jazz has achieved up to 1974, when this was recorded. The atmosphere on the entire album is just so exceptional! I can't recommend this enough.
Harmonia - Musik von Harmonia. I've really enjoyed this album at my first listen, so I gave it another one today. And this has confirmed to be an excellent album. I think it keeps perfect equilibrium between ambient and Kraftwerk or Neu!-like melodic parts. The electronic percussion gives this one a really "cute" taste, in my opinion. A very enjoyable listen!
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk. For some stupid reason, I have dismissed Kraftwerk for many months, highly likely because I was associating them with their more pop/dance-oriented era. Their self-titled debut album is out-standing!!! The opener, "Ruckzuck" is extremely striking with it's distinctive feel. And that flute man! Gotta love it. "Von Himmel Hoch" closes with what sounds like an atomic eruption, which is in my opinion a really nice touch, especially considering the political situation in Germany back then. Looking forward to discovering more things like this in the future!
French TV - French TV. For some reason, I have not really got to listen to French TV until today. They undoubtedly have a very unique sound. The rhythmic meters seem quite unorthodox and far-out. Everything has a really neat avant-Canterburian piquancy to it. There is, however, something that really takes away from this album (for me). It sounds quite dated with its typical 80's avant-rock sound. It's a nice work, though!
Gong - Continental Circus. I was positively surprised, having expected the worst from this effort. It was actually qutie nice with its simple, single-layered flatness. This is mainly improvisation-based and I don't mean jazzy improv, but rather bluesy vamps with spacey toppings and Didier Malherbe's jazzy flute. Quite simple, yet pretty enjoyable!
Harmonia - Harmonia Deluxe. Quite unmemorable, I must say. I don't remember everything much from this album, although I've listened to it about two hours ago. I really like the addition of drums, they give Harmonia a really nice flavor that reminds me of... Neu! At times, this is quite similar to Neu!, at times more electronic and even dance-oriented. It's a nice album, but not as good as Musik von Harmonia, in my book.

Colosseum - Valentyne Suite. It's an album that I like to revisit once in a while. It is one of my favorites when it comes to brass/jazz-rock with proggy edge. These guys were pretty far out with that album in 1969 and very progressive. Actually, it was one of the first prog rock albums that I've checked out. Really good music!

That was my day. I've got to some new things to listen to. I need a new ear-shock! Kraftwerk was one, but not a lasting one. I'll maybe explore some more jazz-oriented krautrock territories tomorrow.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 00:47
^ Dude, Harmonia - Deluxe .... It is a little lesser than the debut, but at least features Mani Neumeier on drums. You ought to check out Guru Guru.
Kraftwerk's debut is BRILLIANT. True Kraut, not the electro stuff they did in a few years time. Classic !
Love Dom, another essential album.
Love the Gong. Cool space-jams that hit the spot.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 01:35
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ Dude, Harmonia - Deluxe .... It is a little lesser than the debut, but at least features Mani Neumeier on drums. You ought to check out Guru Guru.
Kraftwerk's debut is BRILLIANT. True Kraut, not the electro stuff they did in a few years time. Classic !

Harmonia Deluxe was very nice and more krauty than their debut. Of course, Guru Guru was probably the first kraut band I've listened to... Without knowing it! LOL Even before I've discovered prog, I think. Kanguru is outstanding, but so is UFO (people hate it for some reason) and Live.
You know how much I love Gong, I know how much you love them, Tom! WinkWink
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 01:38
The Modern Lovers - s/t
Soundgarden - "Down on the Upside"
Baden Powell - "Apaixonado"
Xenia Rubinos - "Black Terry Cat"
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 03:29

Harmonia Deluxe was very nice and more krauty than their debut. Of course, Guru Guru was probably the first kraut band I've listened to... Without knowing it! LOL Even before I've discovered prog, I think. Kanguru is outstanding, but so is UFO (people hate it for some reason) and Live.
You know how much I love Gong, I know how much you love them, Tom! WinkWink
Tymon, how old you said you are - 17 !!??   Wow, you know what important music is. Not that I know much, but there's something that gravitates all us folks to this kind of music. Kanguru, UFO and Live are all outstanding from the band. In fact, there's nothing weak from Guru Guru Out of the 14 LP's I have from them. A magnificent band.
Not as 'special' as Henry C, but close. I wish you would try Hugh Hopper / Alan Gowen album 'Two Rainbows Daily'. Just keyboards (piano, e-piano, Minimoogs and Celeste) and Hopper's creative bass playing with all sorts of effects / techniques. So sincere............
That Dom album is my honest wish when Floyd ('69-'71) would continue this psychedelic, celestial route, plenty of intoxicating Farfisa organ and trippy effects. Mellow, slightly unnerving, and overall, beautiful. A very convincing journey, sometimes sweet, sometimes oppressive........., but in the end - MAGNIFICENT !!
I'm thinking of spinning Kajagoogoo - my 'go-to' band when I don't really wish to get too immersed in my own little world............
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 03:40

Tymon, how old you said you are - 17 !!??   Wow, you know what important music is. Not that I know much, but there's something that gravitates all us folks to this kind of music. Kanguru, UFO and Live are all outstanding from the band. In fact, there's nothing weak from Guru Guru Out of the 14 LP's I have from them. A magnificent band.
Not as 'special' as Henry C, but close. I wish you would try Hugh Hopper / Alan Gowen album 'Two Rainbows Daily'. Just keyboards (piano, e-piano, Minimoogs and Celeste) and Hopper's creative bass playing with all sorts of effects / techniques. So sincere............
That Dom album is my honest wish when Floyd ('69-'71) would continue this psychedelic, celestial route, plenty of intoxicating Farfisa organ and trippy effects. Mellow, slightly unnerving, and overall, beautiful. A very convincing journey, sometimes sweet, sometimes oppressive........., but in the end - MAGNIFICENT !!
I'm thinking of spinning Kajagoogoo - my 'go-to' band when I don't really wish to get too immersed in my own little world............

16 actually. Tongue What I think makes Guru Guru's music so special is that the "rawness" of Krautrock, that they utilize, is quite similar to that of Jimi Hendrix. That's my opinion at least. Great band nonetheless! And a very interesting story about them.
I'll check out Two Rainbows Daily, in fact I willl just queue it when I finish relistening to Harmonia Deluxe.
Yes, you put it right about Dom. I kind of wish Pink Floyd continued stuff from A Saucerful Of Secret or Ummagumma. I think this was really original and un-English at the time! It was actually closer to Krautrock, I think. But than again, we would not have DSOTM or WYWH. Oh well...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 04:10

That was my day. I've got to some new things to listen to. I need a new ear-shock! Kraftwerk was one, but not a lasting one. I'll maybe explore some more jazz-oriented krautrock territories tomorrow.
You'll not hear another Kraftwerk album like that one Smile Do you already know Embryo?

Electric Citizen - Higher Time
Sunroof! - Cloudz
Gershon Kingsley - Music to Moog by (Did every late 60's Electronic album need at least one Beatles cover? LOL)
Demonauta - Tierra del Fuego
Neu! - Neu! 4 (Neu Wave Tongue)
Sean Riley & The Slowriders - s/t
Tim Blake - Blake's New Jerusalem (It just keeps getting better Smile)
Quella Vecchia Locanda - s/t (I woke up early this morning. It's always a good occasion to spin some classic RPI Thumbs Up)
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 04:25

You'll not hear another Kraftwerk album like that one Smile Do you already know Embryo?

If you enjoy Indian and Eastern music, I strongly recommend Embryo - Embryo's Reise
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 04:36
Tuesday...

Turbomatt - Only Mountains Are Real
Captives Of The Void - Captives Of The Void
The Sonic Dawn - Perception
The Shooters - Planet Of The Black Sun
Sergeant Thunderhoof - Ride Of The Hoof
Tropical Doom - Mangue
Orion - Builders Of Cosmos 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 04:45
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

If you enjoy Indian and Eastern music, I strongly recommend Embryo - Embryo's Reise

Thanks, will have to check out Embryo! I've only listened to Opal a while ago. Thanks for the recomendation, Nico! Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2016 at 05:12
I have a few Embryo LP's, none of them quite measure up to anything I've heard in the sub-genre. I guess it depends on your intelligence level, or how much dope you've smoked, or acid youlve dropped........... And then.........I know nothing !!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 492493494495496 511>