Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 494495496497498 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 02:58
Thursday...

The Re-Stoned - Plasma
All Them Witches - Our Mother Electricity
Rotor - Rotor 3
Petra - Zuzenean
Elevators To The Grateful Sky - Cloud Eye
Greenleaf - Rise Above The Meadow
Truckfightters - Phi
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 03:22
It's been so long since I posted here Embarrassed.

Over the last couple of days:-

Arc Light Sessions - Kaleidoscope
Plaid - The Digging Remedy
Alpha Wave Movement - Myriad Stars (the best I have heard yet by this guy - gorgeous elec. prog and pulsing electronica - fabulous)
Plaid - Trainer
Circuline - Counterpoint
Glass Hammer - Ode To Echo
Red Bazar - Tales From The Bookcase
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 04:01
^ I never heard "Myriad Stars", I'll keep it in mind Thumbs Up

Surya Kris Peters - Modular Mono Logic
Surya Kris Peters - The Hermit (I'm replying here: Michael, it's a really nice album. It's a mixture of Indo Prog, Progressive Electronic and Krautrock. Definitely more inspired than SBE latest Tongue)
Vircator - At the Void's Edge
All Them Witches - Dying Surfer Meets His Maker
Sacri Monti - s/t
Mort Garson - Black Mass
Dave Pike - Jazz for the Jet Set
Alphataurus - s/t
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (I did it! The surround system is perfectly configured Approve I won't move anything a millimeter on that room LOL)

Edited by Meltdowner - July 01 2016 at 05:26
andreol263 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 05:55
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Nice list! Really nice! I've listened to Legend yestarday, too.
this list was full RIO because i've watched the Romantic Warriors II:RIO documentary, that's a terrific documentary! Clap
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:00
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

Nice list! Really nice! I've listened to Legend yestarday, too.
this list was full RIO because i've watched the Romantic Warriors II:RIO documentary, that's a terrific documentary! Clap

Man, I need to watch it! I really enjoyed Romantic Warriors III on the Canterbury scene (althugh it had its flaws, in my opinion).
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 06:06
Yeah, i'm trying to watch the Romantic Warriors III too, but i'm not in the mood for Canterbury sound right now, but the Romantic Warriors II are superb, i knew it from the start that it was good because Magma was the band that started the documentary LOL, right now i'm searching about the bands in documentary.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 14:29
Art Zoyd - Symphonie pour le jour oů brűleront les cités. I decided to give this one a listen as I woke up with the opening violin passage in my head (and partly because I have not listened to this one for a while now). It's such a great album! I can't believe it gets ratings below 4 stars on here. Even without any percussion or drums, this is so powerful, strong, and flows just by itself. The instrumental work is near to being flawless and the pieces are very well composed. There is just something so distinctive about the album's feel. Not as dark as Univers Zero (yet stilll ominous), not as jazzy as Magma (although the musicians seem to have a jazzy approach to music). Great, great record!
Faust - Faust.  I must say I was a bit surpised with Faust. Based on Faust IV, which I'd enjoyed immensly,  I'd set my expectations totally the other way. What surprised me is that they went beyond primitive playing, I (for some reason) had associated with them. At times, this even sounded like R.I.O.-related stuff. And now that I'm thinking that Faust IV was a bit similar, but it just did not catch my attention at this time. Will have to definitely come back to this one!
Guru Guru - UFO. What a great, great trip this album is. The raw and wild factor about UFO is what really makes it a masterpiece in my mind. The "special" effects are created just through the manipulation of a guitar, a bass, and drums. The melody-less jams are incredibly satisfying to listen to. Love this one!
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life. I have an original German pressing of this one and it does not seem to have any scuffs or scratches on it. Does not live up to the greatness of their previous efforts, but is a worthy continuation nonetheless. Although the sound is shifting towards more listener-friendly and less demanding compositions, there is just that Van Der Graafy quality that I love (and some of the other ehrm... others in this thread hate). Tongue
Deuter - D. It was thanks to one of the Polish magazines (that I've mentioned before) that I've decided to listen to Deuter. And it's really, really good! He comes across as an inspired composer with great technical know-how. At times, it reminded me of Tangerine Dream's Electric Meditation, although this one seems to be far richer in various melodies and is simply more diverse. When he started playing sitar, breaking through ambient guitar soudnscapes, I was sold. I only wish the recording quality was better...
Tortilla Flat - Für Ein ľ Stündchen. Although just by the title it sounds like a krautrock album, it is in fact pure Canterbury sound. These guys really have a feel for the style! They sound a bit like Supersister, Moving Gelatine Plates with some influences from Hatfields. The flute is the main instrument in their music and that is something I always appreciate. Has some really nice parts from guitar, keyboards. Once again, the quality of the record is quite bad, but the music compensates for it. Absolutely authentic Canterbury sound. Love their music!

So, that was my day. Smile
Anybody still reading this? LOL
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 14:44
^ Awesome day !! Great stuff there, though I never fell for Deuter (had Nirvana Road and a friend had Ciccada, probably the wrong starting place) and never heard Tortilla Flat.
Love the Art Zoyd - yep, Univers Zero and Magma hybrid done the AZ way.
Faust debut is excellent - side 2 requires patience but they can play.
VDGG and Guru Guru - I love every note ever played by these guys. 2 of my absolute favourite bands.
I've just listened to Cluster's debut. I felt lost in space !!
FunkyM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 20:52
Dark Suns - Everchild
Judas Priest - Stained Class
The Balconies - Fast Motions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2016 at 21:27
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Henry Cow - LegEnd
Univers Zero - 1313
Stormy Six - L'apprendista
Gong - YOU
Guru Guru - UFO
Guru Guru - Känguru
Magma - Live in Kohntark
Tom Moto - Junk
Firma 33 - Se Först
Frank Zappa - We're only in it for the money
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Well, for today i think it was it :D
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 01:18
Originally posted by andreol263 andreol263 wrote:

Henry Cow - Western Culture
Henry Cow - LegEnd
Univers Zero - 1313
Stormy Six - L'apprendista
Gong - YOU
Guru Guru - UFO
Guru Guru - Känguru
Magma - Live in Kohntark
Tom Moto - Junk
Firma 33 - Se Först
Frank Zappa - We're only in it for the money
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Well, for today i think it was it :D

You are crazy! LOL The most I could do a day is 10 I think. Such a great list! Glad to see Guru Guru, Gong and my favorite - Legend (or is it Leg End? For god's sake, I'll never know). Big smile 1313 is also such a great album. First time I've listened to it, I did not exactly know what is going on, but it sounded amazing. The dark soundscapes sort of reminded me of Egg's Polite Force, back when I had no point of reference to other RIO or avant bands at that time. Once again, great list!
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 01:34
They Might Be Giants - "Apollo 18"
Simon and Garfunkel - "Bridge Over Troubled Water"
Hello, I'm Sorry - "Empathetic / Romantic"
Shackleton - "Three EPs"
Sd Laika - "That's Harakiri"
Burial - "Untrue"
Icona Pop - "This Is... Icona Pop"
Phil Collins - "Face Value"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 02:06
Friday...

Sendelica - The Pavilion Of Magic
Kalamata - You
Otehi - Dead Chants And Forbidden Melodies
Monkey3 - The 5th Sun
Silent Monolith - Another Way To Fly
Out Of The Earth - Out Of The Earth
Russian Circles - Geneva

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 11:43
Yesteday:
Astrodome - s/t
Neuronium - Quasar 2C631
Kl(aüs) - s/t
Riverside - Out of Myself
Frédéric Chopin - Piano Concerto Nş2
Zygoat - s/t

Today:
Electric Moon - Lunatics Revenge
Spleen Arcana - The Field Where She Died
Cake - B-Sides and Rarities
Pristine - Reboot
Unreal City - Il Paese Del Tramonto
A Presença das Formigas - Pé de Vento
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 13:43
Conrad Schnitzler - Kollektion 5.
Clannad - Macalla.
Painkiller - Talisman: Live In Nagoya.
Goo Goo Dolls - Superstar Car Wash.
Vangelis - El Greco 2007 Soundtrack.
Kangding Ray - Automne Fold.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 14:01
Travelling - Voici La Nuit Tombee. I came across this band... Can't remember how. And I was quite suprised to discover them, I thought I knew most bands in the Canterbury scene subgenre. Their sound is not really that original. I have seen people talk about the affinity with Egg, but I think Caravan and Soft Machine are much closer in style. In fact, Travelling seems to have stolen a passage from "Moon in June" from Soft Machine's Third. I am usually careful with such accusations, which might turn out damaging, but it appears quite evident here. Anyway, it is a nice album and recommended to Canterbury nuts!
Manuel Göttsching - Inventions For Electric Guitar. It is not my first encounter with this album. I have always really liked it and I like it even more now. What
Göttsching was capable of doing just with his guitar, creating striking, comsic, multi-layered soundscapes, is simply unbelieveable. He is undoubtedly an incredibly inventive and creative guitarist with great technical knowhow. I will be aiming to get this one on vinyl, I think!
Magma - Kobaďa. With every listen, Magma's debut becomes more and more interesting and appealing. This time, I have noticed some things I have not noticed before. I used to think of this one as pure straight-up jazz-rock with occasional weirdness. However, this time I have discovered the classical influences, almost Wagnerian, I will say. There is clearly something from the German opera around Side 4. Maybe influences of Carl Maria Von Weber? I don't know. What I know for sure is that this is an incredibly assure debut album with great moods. Love it!
Pazop - Psychillis Of A Lunatic Genius. I fail to see the "genius" factor of this one. It seems to be a blend of most well known Canterbury bands from before 1972: Softs, Caravan, Egg, Moving Gelatine Plates, Supersister and so on. There are also symphonic flavors here, similar to Yes. All this done with pop-like sensibilities. Many instruments, sounds, styles make this album sound very inconsistent. Yes, they are great musicians, but I am not very impressed.
Gila - Free Electric Sound. I partly slept during listening to this album, but I can remember it quite well, sitll. It sort of reminds me of Dom and Deuter. Very psychedelic, yet does not seem to have the exotic eastern influences that some similar krautrock bands have. Has some nice ideas, which are executed quite well. I will definitely have to listen to that one again, though.
Association P.C. - Earwax. Well, this is pretty obscure. What this album is, it's a blend of post bop, in the vein of Coltrane's A Love Supreme, with rawer, krautrocky, psychedelic playing. It seems, though, that Association P.C. are jazz musicians. Great instrumentalism and very interesting pieces. This is very highly recommended, especially considering nobody seems to know this album on PA.

This was my day. Smile
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 14:05

Manuel Göttsching - Inventions For Electric Guitar. It is not my first encounter with this album. I have always really liked it and I like it even more now. What Göttsching was capable of doing just with his guitar, creating striking, comsic, multi-layered soundscapes, is simply unbelieveable. He is undoubtedly an incredibly inventive and creative guitarist with great technical knowhow. I will be aiming to get this one on vinyl, I think!

Clap
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2016 at 16:28
The last week or so (days off from work so not slogging through albums like I normally would!):

The Byrds – Untitled
Malicorne – Le Bestiaire
Hoelderlin – New Faces
Tangerine Dream – Live at Reims Cathedral, Dec 1974
Jeff Pearce – Follow the River Home
Ishq n’ Plank – Crows-an-Wra (disc 1)
Erik Wollo and Byron Metcalf – Earth Luminous
Michael Bruckner - Muzikhala
Syn – Valles Marineris
Syn - Pareidolia
Black Sabbath - The Eternal Idol
Black Bombain - Far Out
Miss Lava - Sonic Debris
Wo Fat - Midnight Cometh
Electric Citizen - Higher Time
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising
Caravan - Better by Far
Kl(aüs) - s/t
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 00:13
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Manuel Göttsching - Inventions For Electric Guitar. It is not my first encounter with this album. I have always really liked it and I like it even more now. What Göttsching was capable of doing just with his guitar, creating striking, comsic, multi-layered soundscapes, is simply unbelieveable. He is undoubtedly an incredibly inventive and creative guitarist with great technical knowhow. I will be aiming to get this one on vinyl, I think!

Clap

I know you like that one, Nico! Wink
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2016 at 00:30
Saturday...

Tuber - Desert Overcrowded
Burn The Sun - Crack Of Dawn
The Heavy Eyes - The Heavy Eyes
Their Dogs Were Astronauts - Earthkeeper
Truckfighters - Mania
Watter - This World
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 494495496497498 511>