Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 20:27
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

All Tangerine Dream, all night!

Live Miles, Encore, Exit, Thief, Underwater Sunlight, Force Majeure, Hyperborea, Tangram
That must have been an awesome night SmileWhat do you think about Live Miles and Thief? I've never listened to those and they seem to have a low rating here Ermm

Hey again, my friend! `Live Miles' is the better of the two...it's melodic and easy to listen to, not very demanding or complex, but nice to have on in the background. Hardly an essential TD disc, but I'm still happy to own it. `Thief' is hit and miss...there's some great stuff on it, with some pretty forgettable bits as well. I think the main theme (pretty sure it's called `Beach Theme' or something) that opens the album and is reprised later on is the poorest part. It's worth a listen, and I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy on it, but there's plenty of better TD albums before and after it.

I'll likely continue with the TD marathon once I hit work tonight again as well!
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 20:33
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Lennon - Double Fantasy
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
McCartney - Ram

Love that one Big smile

Hi Jorge!    Me too.  One of the gems of the 90s if you ask me.  If you like that album you HAVE to pick this DVD up....assuming you don't already have it.  Trust me, it's even better than the album.  And pretty cheap price.  Smile

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 20:39

Live Miles, Encore, Exit, Thief, Underwater Sunlight, Force Majeure, Hyperborea, Tangram
That must have been an awesome night SmileWhat do you think about Live Miles and Thief? I've never listened to those and they seem to have a low rating here Ermm

Hey again, my friend! `Live Miles' is the better of the two...it's melodic and easy to listen to, not very demanding or complex, but nice to have on in the background. Hardly an essential TD disc, but I'm still happy to own it. `Thief' is hit and miss...there's some great stuff on it, with some pretty forgettable bits as well. I think the main theme (pretty sure it's called `Beach Theme' or something) that opens the album and is reprised later on is the poorest part. It's worth a listen, and I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy on it, but there's plenty of better TD albums before and after it.

I'll likely continue with the TD marathon once I hit work tonight again as well!

Live Miles is ridiculously good.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 20:42
^and keep that marathon flowing. Well done. :)

Soulfly--Soulfly 4: Prophesy
Animals as Leaders--S/T
Genesis--Trespass
Adrenalin Mob--Omertà
Engine--Superholic
Saviour Machine-- SM 1
IQ--The Road Of Bones

Happy listening. :)

Edited by progbethyname - August 04 2014 at 20:46
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 00:11

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Lennon - Double Fantasy
No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom
McCartney - Ram

Love that one Big smile

Hi Jorge!    Me too.  One of the gems of the 90s if you ask me.  If you like that album you HAVE to pick this DVD up....assuming you don't already have it.  Trust me, it's even better than the album.  And pretty cheap price.  Smile

I have it on my computer LOL
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 01:48

I never bothered with Thief as Beach Scene was included on the Dream Sequence compilation. Its not like the Risky Business st which includes other artists or reworkings of other tracks?

I have tons of TD

Poland , Kyoto , Firestarter and even Le Parc from their eightes period inc Schmoeliing are worth checking out 

I also like a number of albums from the last 10 years including Edgar Allen Poe's Island Of The Wake , Finnegans Wake , Views From A Red Train
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 10:19
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Live Miles is ridiculously good.

It's a very easy listen, eh Nick! I remember you mentioning how much you dug this one when I first bought it. Two long, melodic tracks that are easy to enjoy!

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I never bothered with Thief as Beach Scene was included on the Dream Sequence compilation. Its not like the Risky Business st which includes other artists or reworkings of other tracks?
 I have tons of TD
Poland , Kyoto , Firestarter and even Le Parc from their eightes period inc Schmoeliing are worth checking out 
I also like a number of albums from the last 10 years including Edgar Allen Poe's Island Of The Wake , Finnegans Wake , Views From A Red Train

Richard, I think the bulk of `Thief' is original material, but I think there's a few moments that showed up on other works, either studio and/or live albums. To be honest, I've noticed this happens quite a lot through their mix of studio/lvie albums, and I can never remember where `x' piece first showed up anymore!

`Firestarter' is superb (hopefully an affordable CD reissue not too far away), `Wavelength' is all good too, just that it's a shame all the pieces are so short...even if they are all GOOD short pieces!

I have some other rarer ones like the later `Tyranny of Beauty' (borders a little too close to bland AOR schmaltz in many spots for my liking), `Miracle Mile' (excellent!) and a few months ago I bought their 2013 release `The Angel of the West Window', but haven't listened to it yet. I sadly also have one called `Rockoon' from 1992 that I remember was absolutely dreadful, totally lifeless and uninspired. Will give it a new spin to see if I was wrong back then.

As for tonight's continued TD marathon:

Tangerine Dream - Logos, White Eagle, Wavelength, Cyclone, Exit (over and over Nick, like we used to play it! )
addictedtoprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 13:42
Riverside-Shrine Of New Generation Slaves
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 15:46

Richard, I think the bulk of `Thief' is original material, but I think there's a few moments that showed up on other works, either studio and/or live albums. To be honest, I've noticed this happens quite a lot through their mix of studio/lvie albums, and I can never remember where `x' piece first showed up anymore!

That's what I though when I was listening to it today.
Thank you and Richard for the suggestions: TD's discography is so vast and irregular, that it's hard to find the good ones there Tongue

Today:
Tangerine Dream - Thief
Klaus Shulze - Body Love Vol.2
Mike Oldfield - Platinum
Diabo na Cruz - Virou!

Konsonans View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2014 at 20:28
Corima - Quetzalcoatl

Zao - Z=7L

Z=7L really hits the spot for me. 
Quetzalcoatl a little less so, but still worth the time.
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 00:51
^^^^ Nice album cover with Quetzalcoatl Big smile

Edited by ProgMetaller2112 - August 06 2014 at 00:54
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Kirillov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 16:25
Steve Hillage - Fish Rising
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 17:29
Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out
Triumvirat - Old Loves Die Hard
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 22:43
Last night and today. :)

Genesis--The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (both discs 2008 remaster.)
IQ--The Wake (2010 remaster)
Dream Theater--Live at Budokan (disc 1&2 only)
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross-- The Social Network soundtrack. (Twice!)
Symphony X--Iconoclast (both Discs)
Pink Floyd--Echoes COMP (disc 2 only)
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 22:52

What do you think of the 2008 remaster of The Lamb? For me, I like the fact that there are many parts played by Hackett for example that are brought much more forward. I own the original mix, the 'Definitive Remaster,' and the 2008 remix/remaster). I know a lot of people have complained about how loud these 2008 remixes/remasters are, but the thing I would like to point out is that there zero distortion in these, but I've found the sound of them, in general, much more brighter than the previous issues.

Edited by Mirror Image - August 06 2014 at 22:52
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 23:01
Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

What do you think of the 2008 remaster of The Lamb? For me, I like the fact that there are many parts played by Hackett for example that are brought much more forward. I own the original mix, the 'Definitive Remaster,' and the 2008 remix/remaster). I know a lot of people have complained about how loud these 2008 remixes/remasters are, but the thing I would like to point out is that there zero distortion in these, but I've found the sound of them, in general, much more brighter than the previous issues.

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Nick Davis is a quality sound engineer. He is very good at mixing an album as well. I have found no fault in this pressing.
The loudness factor or brightness people may complain about is largely due to their music source or gear.
Davis engineers albums tailored to pair with HIFI Audio equipment, so the right Speakers, amps and DACS will surely prove just how great the 2008 remaster is and what a fine engineer Davis is.
Listening to Davis's mixes through a naked digital signal will sound quite piercing or bright in some areas.
The album is meant for analog!! Anyway. I love it. Not one hiccup or flaw in the recording. It's quality. Glad you like it too.
THE LAMIA is sublime. :)
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 23:22

[QUOTE=Mirror Image]

Nick Davis is a quality sound engineer. He is very good at mixing an album as well. I have found no fault in this pressing.
The loudness factor or brightness people may complain about is largely due to their music source or gear.
Davis engineers albums tailored to pair with HIFI Audio equipment, so the right Speakers, amps and DACS will surely prove just how great the 2008 remaster is and what a fine engineer Davis is.
Listening to Davis's mixes through a naked digital signal will sound quite piercing or bright in some areas.
The album is meant for analog!! Anyway. I love it. Not one hiccup or flaw in the recording. It's quality. Glad you like it too.
THE LAMIA is sublime. :)

Nick Davis is a good engineer, but I'll be honest and say that I like the original mix of this album. In fact, right now I'm listening to the original Atco issue with no remastering whatsoever and I'm quite enjoying it. I'll be honest and say that these new remixes do hurt my ears over extended listening, but I think the older recordings benefited more from the remixing than albums like A Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering, although I haven't heard the original of this album (yet).

Have you heard all the originals?
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 14:20
Yesterday:

Tim Buckley - Happy Sad
Tim Buckley - Lorca
Tim Buckley - Greetings from L.A.
Major Parkinson - s/t
Major Parkinson - Songs from a Solitary Home
Major Parkinson - Twilight Cinema
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 19:31

So beautiful...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 21:36
Soft Machine -Bundles
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 511>