Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 10:55
Death - Spiritual Healing
Death - Individual Thought Patterns
Gorguts - Obscura
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:42
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Gentle Giant - Free Hand
Gentle Giant - Playing the Fool: The Official Live

Thumbs Up Great stuff!
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:52
Threshold--Lividelica
Lacuna Coil--Broken Crown Halo
Arkan--Sofia ( great album. Mandola sounds incredible. Great instrument)
Marillion--The Strange Engine. ( geeze. This album is pretty good. Surprised its not rated higher here on PA. It's lovely. )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 21:56
Kate - Aerial part 1
Rollins Band - live
Blondie - Autoamerican
Clash - Sandinista

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 00:59
Originally posted by MillsLayne MillsLayne wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sound of Contact - Dimensionaut - Nick! I still keep coming back to this one, very undemanding to spin as a background listen. Is it just me, or, after a couple of tracks in, every single song on this album has a chorus that sounds like it’s dipped in honey! I swear, Simon Collins would make his Dad proud with these melodic catchy beauties! Trafficking drugs like he just got busted for...probably not so much
LOL I surprised myself with how much I like this album, too. It's not really epic or anything, it's just very enjoyable and it makes me hopeful for what could be in store for the future.

Mr Megaman! I'd go as far as saying that the actual `epic' of the album, the lengthy final track, is the least interesting thing on the album! Anyway, it's definitely one I keep coming back to, a very impressive first effort. Hopefully we'll get a follow up! I actually recommended in to a potential buyer at a local record fair I attended on the weekend. He was `umming' and `ahhing' about it, so I told him what to expect and he decided to take a chance on it.

Meltdowner! Glad to see you're enjoying Atomic Rooster and Roxy Music! Roxy never put out a dud album, all their studio works offered something worthwhile (even if `Flesh and Blood' is a little throwaway, it's not actually bad by any means).

Oh, and `AOR' means `Adult Oriented Rock', it usually means pretty-straightforward oldies rock!
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:03
Chrome Hoof - Pre-Emptive False Rapture
Yes - The Yes Album
Yes - Close To The Edge

It's nice visiting the classic once in a few years.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:15

Sound of Contact - Dimensionaut - Nick! I still keep coming back to this one, very undemanding to spin as a background listen. Is it just me, or, after a couple of tracks in, every single song on this album has a chorus that sounds like it’s dipped in honey! I swear, Simon Collins would make his Dad proud with these melodic catchy beauties! Trafficking drugs like he just got busted for...probably not so much
LOL I surprised myself with how much I like this album, too. It's not really epic or anything, it's just very enjoyable and it makes me hopeful for what could be in store for the future.

Mr Megaman! I'd go as far as saying that the actual `epic' of the album, the lengthy final track, is the least interesting thing on the album! Anyway, it's definitely one I keep coming back to, a very impressive first effort. Hopefully we'll get a follow up! I actually recommended in to a potential buyer at a local record fair I attended on the weekend. He was `umming' and `ahhing' about it, so I told him what to expect and he decided to take a chance on it.

Meltdowner! Glad to see you're enjoying Atomic Rooster and Roxy Music! Roxy never put out a dud album, all their studio works offered something worthwhile (even if `Flesh and Blood' is a little throwaway, it's not actually bad by any means).

Oh, and `AOR' means `Adult Oriented Rock', it usually means pretty-straightforward oldies rock!

I've got this album too and it keeps on surprising me. I thought I'd hate it, especially after reading the reviews, but I happen to dig it. It's not a masterpiece or anything like that, but it's an album I spin pretty often. Verdict wise, if we're talking stars, I'd say a solid 3. 
Oh and I actually prefer the epic over the shorter tunesCool
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
MChPro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 05:38
Camel - MOONMADNESS.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 06:06
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 06:20
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Sigur Ros - Valtari
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 06:28
Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Sigur Ros - Valtari<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; top: -100000px; left: -100000px; : transparent;">

Oh wow Kazza love that album a love supreme, that acknowledgement2 among others song same title, it is a redemption song, I feel it no lyrics needed. This album is so beautiful plus the saxophone is my ultimate favorite brass instrument. Thank you for sharing this track/album bame :) hugs xxxx

Edited by Kati - September 03 2014 at 06:34
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 06:36
ok reading the above while written with most excitement and enthusiasm, reading back and spelling, I best go crawl under something.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 07:51

Last night's and tonights choices!

Soft Machine - Noisette
Ashra - New Age of Earth
Franco Falsino - Cold Nose
Sensation's Fix - Portable Madness
Quantum Fantay - Terragaia
IQ - Road of Bones
Logos - L'enigma Della Vita
L'Estate di San Martino - Talsete di Marsantino
Izz - Crush of Night
Monarch Trail - Skye
Riverside - Out of Myself
The Flower Kings - Space Revolver
Arkham - s/t
Raw Material - Time Is...
Sandrose - s/t
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:06

Hey hey! Choruses dipped in honey? Extremely well put my friend and accurate   
The track (I Am Demensionaut) chorus I had stuck in my head for weeks on end and I'm surprised I didn't shatter the walls of my shower signing this one. It's damn catchy. Even Pale Blue Dot has cone around with me, but the real fun is the drumming on the Möbius track. Jr. Phil is rockin it. I will be following his next attack, once he gets out of trouble with johnny law. Lol! Anyhow my real only discrepancy with the album is that it is too long and does lose flow because of this.
His next album has major potential.

Today....

Couple of light spins.

Alberto Rigioni-- Overloaded
Alberto Rigioni--Three Wise Monkeys
Miles Davis--A Kind Of Blue
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 08:08
I agree Nick. Phil Jr is a monster on the epic. May just be the reason to why I prefer it over anything from the remaining album.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 15:15

I will listen to all their albums then Big smile

I like to listen to some AOR music when I'm tired of more complex music (it happens sometimes) LOL

Last two days:
Tangerine Dream - Tyger (Good album, although I think the electronic drums are a bit annoying Tongue)
Torga Ostera - Queda Ascendente (Portuguese Floyd Cool)
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Atomic Rooster - Made in England (Completely different album, very R&B and Soul, but I think it's good. Curiously, just when I'm discovering them, I was listening to the radio today and the radio station played "Sleeping for years" Headbanger)
Roxy Music - Viva! Roxy Music (John Wetton plays awesomely in this one Thumbs Up)
Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain
Harmonium - Si on Avait...

Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 16:41
Supertramp - Crime Of The Century
Genesis - Foxtrot
PFM - Per Un Amico
MillsLayne View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 22:46

That's how I was until I found a really cheap new copy online and said, "What the hell, I'll try it."  Not a bad $8 spent.

Today has been a mix of sounds:

Opeth - Pale Communion
Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks
Camel - Moonmadness
Camel - Breathless
Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Porcupine Tree - Up The Downstair
Porcupine Tree - The Incident
Jane's Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
Jane's Addiction - Kettle Whistle

Edited by MillsLayne - September 03 2014 at 22:47
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 04:25
Thee Silver Mt Zion Memorial Orchestra - f**k Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything
Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage
Pink Floyd - Obscured by Clouds

I have a bad habit of dismissing ObC as a bit of a throwaway collection, then whenever I go back and listen to it, I like it even more than Meddle.

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Kazza3 Kazza3 wrote:

Sigur Ros - Kveikur
Sigur Ros - Valtari<div id="UMS_TOOLTIP" style=": ; cursor: pointer; : 2147483647; top: -100000px; left: -100000px; : transparent;">

Oh wow Kazza love that album a love supreme, that acknowledgement2 among others song same title, it is a redemption song, I feel it no lyrics needed. This album is so beautiful plus the saxophone is my ultimate favorite brass instrument. Thank you for sharing this track/album bame :) hugs xxxx

It's a wonderful album!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2014 at 04:33
Hah I feel the exact same way about Obscured by Clouds. It's an album I often tend to forget.....but then when I finally get back to it, it's far better than what I remembered it to be. I'm not sure if it beats out Meddle, but it's certainly a more cohesive album on the whole.

Btw how's that new Silver Mt Zion album? I once saw a gig of theirs, and it remains the physically hardest concert I've ever attended in my life, and I didn't even move....at all! I guess it must've been the slow drones of the music, but I can't remember ever sweating so much just from standing on a floor with a beer in my hand. 

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 251252253254255 511>