Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 490491492493494 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 04:28
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

Wow, that would be a great show. Maybe things will work out so you will be able to go.

I think L'Ira Del Baccano could be considered borderline Heavy Prog already. 
Although some of the genre purists  around here might argue that point.  Wink
It's on a Sunday night and a few hours away from home. Besides, the night before there'll be Astrodome, Earth Drive and that other weird band from yesterday, nearby. Cool

I'll give it another listen later to have a better opinion. I'm sure they would be rejected by our team.

Earth Drive - Planet Mantra   (Thumbs Up  Very good, Sam. CD only?)
I knew you'd like it Smile Yes, you can find it on Raging Planet's Bandcamp page, it's right next to The Black Wizards Wink

Yesterday:
Pista - Bamboleio
800 Gondomar - Circunvalação
Dead Sea Apes - Spectral Domain
The Astroboy - The Chromium Fence
The Astroboy - Flow My Tears
Earth Drive - Planet Mantra
Granada - AAA
Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook - The Dark Side of the Moog II
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 14:23
GONG - Camembert Electrique. I have recently purchased the originall pressing of this album in excellent condition and absolutely love the music. Such a great work, dripping with tounge-in-cheek, yet elaborate and intricate arrangements. Phenomenal musicianship, too. Takes me to another planet.
National Health - National Health. Despite considering myself a Canterbury fanatic, I have always sort of overlooked their material until recently really. Something that once seemed boring and sterile now seems so lively and fresh! The main theme on "Tenemos Road" is out of this world. Another excellent work!
Amon Duul II - Tanz Der Lemminge. It was the recent thread on Amon Duul II that made me want to go back to their music and sort of rediscover. Tanz was a bit different than I had remembered it. At one point, during "Restless Skylight/Transistor Child", I fell into brief sleep and I must admitt - the piece was partly responsible for that. It was not boring by any means, but rather relaxing, calming, and moody. Features some really great moments!
Neu! - Neu! 2. I was fairlyy disappointed with the album. "Fur Immer", an incredibly pleasant, enjoyable piece, very much in the vein of "Hallogallo" from their previous album preluded something special - meditative, ambitious, and plain fascinating. The rest of the record offered rather unnteresting noodlings that did not seem to go in any direction. After the masterpiece that I've found their debut to be, this was a bit of a disappointment. Worth mentioning, this was not my first experience with the album, however I could not remember anything from the first time I've listened to it.
Steve Miller & Lol Coxhill - Coxhill/Miller, Miller/Coxhill. A joint release from two Canterbury greats. Very much improvisation-based without any significant themes or motifs, but nonetheless interesting and pleasing. I like it. The instrumentalism is definitely one of the highlights of the work.

With all of that being said, I am sitting here thinking "what or who the heck am I doing this for?" The answer is "I don't know." Anyway, I like sharing my thoughts about music, even if nobody gives a single duck.
P.S.
Kudos if you have read the whole thing. LOL

Edited by ALotOfBottle - June 22 2016 at 14:23
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2016 at 15:17
^^  Yeah, the Astodome / Earth Drive concert would be a good choice. Two out of three is not bad and maybe the weird band will open so that they're out of the way quickly.

I hadn't thought about submitting L'Ira Del Baccano. They certainly have the ability to play Heavy Prog and if their style ever drifted in that direction I'm sure they would have a shot at being accepted. 
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 01:05
Wednesday...

Shaolin Afronauts - Follow The Path
Domadora - The Violent Mystical Sukuma
Sun Preachers - Walking Towards The Tower
Witch - Witch
Snowburner - Future Primitive 
Tank86 - Obey
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 01:34
Pavement - "Slanted and Enchanted"
Pavement - "Watery, Domestic"
Bobby Dazzlers - "Champion EP"
Yo La Tengo - "Painful"
clipping. - "Wriggle"
Kayo Dot - "Plastic House on Base of Sky"
Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - "Piñata"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 04:08
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

With all of that being said, I am sitting here thinking "what or who the heck am I doing this for?" The answer is "I don't know." Anyway, I like sharing my thoughts about music, even if nobody gives a single duck.
P.S.
Kudos if you have read the whole thing. LOL
Keep writing, I'll keep reading Wink

Good job on finding that Gong album on vinyl Clap I agree about Neu! 2, it's awful, especially those versions of the same song at different speeds Dead Fortunately the next one is much better.

^^  Yeah, the Astodome / Earth Drive concert would be a good choice. Two out of three is not bad and maybe the weird band will open so that they're out of the way quickly.

I hadn't thought about submitting L'Ira Del Baccano. They certainly have the ability to play Heavy Prog and if their style ever drifted in that direction I'm sure they would have a shot at being accepted. 
Don't get me wrong, it's weird but I like it and their concerts are fun Smile

I'm just not sure if it's Prog enough to be here, at first listen.

La La La Ressonance - Faust
Jaga Jazzist - What We Must
Boudewijn De Groot - Picknick (A very quirky Dutch 60's Psych Pop album. It's better than I remembered and at least it doesn't have the usual crazy stereo effects Tongue)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 14:45
Henry Cow - Legend. Because this is highly likely one of my favorite albums of all time, I often go back and revisit this outstanding work. Every listen reveals new little details hidden in the mix. A bunch of outstanding musicians playing complex, demanding material. Love the album!
Neu! - Neu! After my disappointment with Neu! 2, I revisited their debut album to once again get a great impression of their music. Similarly to my previous listen, the album reveals many new elements with each listen. The minimalism of the work really hits me every time. There is something incredibly fresh about Neu!'s music on their debut.
Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh. I've only recently discovered how great and fascinating the music of Magma is. Believe it or not, I find that the things I like in their music are similar to things I love in my favorite prog subgenre - the Canterbury sound. The mix of tasty jazz-rock and "primal", gothic choir elements fructify in something extremely interesting and (once again I'll use that word, duuh) fresh. I still fail to detect the "wow" factor there and something that will hook me to their music, but so far so good! Really like Magma! Smile
Magma - Kobaia. In comparison to MDK, the music on this album is a bit more boring, being nothing but straight-up jazz rock... Or not... There are some eccentric moments, reminiscent of Vander's musical vision and fantasy. Great music and definitely more accessible than MDK. I feel though that it is a bit boring at times, being a double album.
Gilgamesh - Another Fine Tune You've Got Me Into. I'm afraid this is not a very fine tune. Ok, it's better than their debut, but Gilgamesh is one of those bands that despite having interesting and professionally-played material are just quite uninteresting. Take Canterbury music and take away every spice. It's just a bit sterile! Overally pretty enjoyable, but there is just something that makes me go like this:

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2016 at 21:10
National Health - National Health
Egg - The Polite Force
King Crimson - Red
Camel - Camel
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 00:57
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

National Health - National Health
Egg - The Polite Force
King Crimson - Red
Camel - Camel
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

#1, #2, and #4 are (for me) a dream playlist! Tongue Well done!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 01:48
Bobby Dazzlers - "Champion EP"
A Tribe Called Quest - "Midnight Marauders"
The Velvet Underground - "The Complete Matrix Tapes" discs 1 and 2
Bob Dylan - "Blonde on Blonde"
The Velvet Underground - "The Complete Matrix Tapes" disc 3
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 01:52
Thursday...

L'Ira Del Baccano - Si Non Sedes iS...LIVE MMVII
Dead Quiet - Dead Quiet
Slow Green Thing - Slow Green Thing II
Sophie's Earthquake - The Flood
Balam - Days Of Old
Pale Grey Lore - Pale Grey Lore
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 04:08

Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandoh. I've only recently discovered how great and fascinating the music of Magma is. Believe it or not, I find that the things I like in their music are similar to things I love in my favorite prog subgenre - the Canterbury sound. The mix of tasty jazz-rock and "primal", gothic choir elements fructify in something extremely interesting and (once again I'll use that word, duuh) fresh. I still fail to detect the "wow" factor there and something that will hook me to their music, but so far so good! Really like Magma! Smile
Magma - Kobaia. In comparison to MDK, the music on this album is a bit more boring, being nothing but straight-up jazz rock... Or not... There are some eccentric moments, reminiscent of Vander's musical vision and fantasy. Great music and definitely more accessible than MDK. I feel though that it is a bit boring at times, being a double album.
The first album I listened from them was MDK and I didn't like them until I listened to Kobaia. I had to start with more accessible albums before moving on to the later stuff. By the way, what do you think of 1001º Centigrades?

Ash Ra Tempel - Le Berceau de Cristal
L'Ira del Baccano - Terra 42
Gypsy Sun Revival - s/t
Memória de Peixe - s/t
Handwrist - Agrestic
Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook - The Dark Side of the Moog III
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 04:16
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

The first album I listened from them was MDK and I didn't like them until I listened to Kobaia. I had to start with more accessible albums before moving on to the later stuff. By the way, what do you think of 1001º Centigrades?

Ash Ra Tempel - Le Berceau de Cristal
L'Ira del Baccano - Terra 42
Gypsy Sun Revival - s/t
Memória de Peixe - s/t
Handwrist - Agrestic
Klaus Schulze and Pete Namlook - The Dark Side of the Moog III

What a coincidence, yesterday on a flight I've listened to the same two Magma albums.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 06:03
Yesterday and today:

Flying Saucer Attack - Distance.
David Sylvian - Alchemy, An Index Of Possibilities.
The Doors - L.A. Woman.
Ultra Vivid Scene - Rev.
Aphex Twin - Chosen Lords.
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie (2nd CD: Twilight to Starlight).
Placebo - Once More With Feeling: The Singles 1996 - 2004.
Hope Sandoval - Through The Devil Softly.
Electronic Eye - Closed Circuit.
King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic.

Edited by King Only - June 24 2016 at 06:07
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 06:32
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Believe it or not, I think 1001º Centigrades appears to be their most inspired album. I think all of the Kobaian elements are balanced really well. By far, my favorite from Magma (I think)!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 07:12
^ Totally agree. It's easy to notice it's between the debut and MDK, probably the best to recommend to anyone who never heard them since it gives an idea of the band's style without scaring them... much LOL
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 13:55
I think I won't listen to music anymore today, so I will just check-in a bit earlier than usually.
Neu! - Neu! '75. Now we are talking! After my utter disappointment with Neu! 2, Neu! '75 was a very pleasant suprise. It had some really good moments. And while it's full of innovation and qualities that sound fresh even these days, the classic Neu! elements such as motorik beat passages are by no means estranged! Way ahead of its time.
The Muffins - <185>. In comparison to Muffins' debut album (which I am a giant fan of), <185> delivers a less straight-forward avant-garde punch, reminiscent of the Rock In Opposition movement. The band got a little bit of help from Fred Frith of Henry Cow and many more and I think that only adds to the RIO flavor of the release. Albeit not very memorable, it is undoubtedly a great work of great musicians.
Zacht Automaat - Normality Bias. This band is my latest discovery and I am really glad I've found out about them. They are a rather obscure Canadian group that fuses Canterbury-style jazz with (more prominently) electronic krautrock, very much in the vein of earlier Tangerine Dream. There is something really raw about their recordings, but it's really good and original music. I highly recommend checking them out. One of these days I'll be suggesting their addition to this website, as (in my opinion) they would fit in Progressive Electronic of Jazz-Rock/Fusion quite well.
Tim Blake - Crystal Machine. It was the review of Modrigue that made me want to check out Tim Blake's works, as he was responsible for my favorite shimmering sounds on albums by Gong and Hawkwind. His debut album has a great cover, but the music (in my book at least) is nothing to get really excited about. It's all spacey, electronic music, which is quite interesting, but in a long run does nothing to me really. Still, recommended!
Magma - 1001º Centigrades. I've revisited this album once more today, as I am only beggining to get hip with Zeuhl. This listen confirmed everything that I've said earlier today on here. I feel like 1001º Centigrades even has somewhat of a Third-era Soft Machine-like piquancy (Zeuhl fans will kill me for that comparison). Hard to follow, but very rewarding and enjoyable. Really, really liking this work and Magma in general.
Golem - Orion Awakes. This is one of those albums that found itself on one of the krautrock samplers, making everyone thing that it was produced back in 1973 (as it was claimed to be)... While it wasn't. Orion Awakes was recorded in 1996 and features wild psychedelic krautrock, dripping with wah-wah-ed guitar, distorted keyboards and heavy rhythms. Enjoyable, but once again nothing to get all that excited about, at least for me.
Soft Machine - Live in Paris 1970. This is actually a concert, but I guess that counts. Soft Machine was steamin' right there! Exactly what I like about their music from that period - inspired, vigorous, coming far from being sterile jazz noodlings. Really nice!

So, that was my day! Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2016 at 17:24
^ sounds like a very decent day !!
Blake's New Jerusalem is the 'special' album.
Can't go wrong with any Magma album - 1001 being superb.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 01:37
The Velvet Underground - "The Complete Matrix Tapes" disc 4
Blue Öyster Cult - "Fire of Unknown Origin"
The Velvet Underground - s/t
The Velvet Underground - "White Light / White Heat"
Lou Reed - "Berlin"
The Velvet Underground - "VU"
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member