Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat albums did you listen to today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 491492493494495 511>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 09:46
GORGUTS - Colored Sands
SPOCK'S BEARD - The Kindness Of Strangers
NATIONAL HEALTH - Of Queues And Cures
HENRY COW - Legend
WISHBONE ASH - FIirst Lights
PEKKA POHJOLA - B The Magpie
VDGG - A Grounding In Numbers
CLUSTER - Cluster '71
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

GORGUTS - Colored Sands
HENRY COW - Legend
CLUSTER - Cluster '71

Great taste, Tom! Smile Been really enjoying National Health recently, too!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 14:37
Less listening today, as I played my very first gig with a new band I'm playing with recently. It was an outdoor concert and the temperature hit, well, maybe not 1001 centigrades, but I'd say about 36. When I came back home, all I wanted to do was take an ice-cold bath and then lie on my bed to get some rest. My plan was also to get to watch the Poland-Switzerland Euro 2016 match (which we have won in the end!Big smile).
Zacht Automaat - More Down Than Out. If you have read my post here from yestarday, you will know I'm really excited about discovering this band. Compared to their biggest release, Normality Bias, that I have checked out yestarday, this album is much less jazzy. However, the piquancy of the genre is still there and mixed with their electronic garage krautrock, it gives great results. A very pleasant listen!
Centipede - Septober Energy. Centipede has been on my mind for the last two days. Keith Tippett in general is a very interesting figure. This two-disc album contains many different arrangements, moods, styles ranging from free-form jazz to dry up-beat rock songs. The large line-up of 56 members allows Cenitpede to go to real extremes. The music is really great and enjoyable.
Supersister - To the Highest Bidder. Albeit this is considered Supersister's best work, I'd say there is nothing that really singles it out from their other releases. I think it is equally good to the band's other albums. Their music is incredibly well-written and well-performed, revealing new elements with each listen.
Out Of Focus - Out Of Focus.  I was not expecting much from this band and I was positively suprised. The beautiful, clear, striking melange of krautrock's post-psychedelic flavors and pure jazzy musicianship gives phenomenal results. A terrific album, will have to listen more!
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 17:55
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

GORGUTS - Colored Sands
HENRY COW - Legend
CLUSTER - Cluster '71

Great taste, Tom! Smile Been really enjoying National Health recently, too!
Thanks, Tymon
......and somehow, in between all this listening - I found the time to vaccuum the carpets, mop the floors, mow the lawns AND even visit a young lady where I work !! Such a productive day (must've been coz I kicked the day off with the Gorguts album ).
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 18:17

Neu! - Neu! '75. Now we are talking! After my utter disappointment with Neu! 2, Neu! '75 was a very pleasant suprise. It had some really good moments. And while it's full of innovation and qualities that sound fresh even these days, the classic Neu! elements such as motorik beat passages are by no means estranged! Way ahead of its time.
Zacht Automaat - Normality Bias. This band is my latest discovery and I am really glad I've found out about them. They are a rather obscure Canadian group that fuses Canterbury-style jazz with (more prominently) electronic krautrock, very much in the vein of earlier Tangerine Dream. There is something really raw about their recordings, but it's really good and original music. I highly recommend checking them out. One of these days I'll be suggesting their addition to this website, as (in my opinion) they would fit in Progressive Electronic of Jazz-Rock/Fusion quite well.
Tim Blake - Crystal Machine. It was the review of Modrigue that made me want to check out Tim Blake's works, as he was responsible for my favorite shimmering sounds on albums by Gong and Hawkwind. His debut album has a great cover, but the music (in my book at least) is nothing to get really excited about. It's all spacey, electronic music, which is quite interesting, but in a long run does nothing to me really. Still, recommended!
I really like the Proto Punk vibe of it Cool
Never heard of them but that sounds interesting. I'll give it a listen later Smile
I only have his next album, I'm curious about that one though.

Friday:
The Astroboy - Flow My Tears
Cake - Prolonging the Magic
Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats - Mind Control
Klaus Schulze & Pete Namlook - The Dark Side of the Moog IV

Satuday:
Pond - Man It Feels Like Space Again
Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action
Psycho Praxis - Echoes From the Deep
Anaquim - Um Dia Destes
Cake - Comfort Eagle
Iron Maiden - Killers
Electric Moon - Lunatics
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 18:52
I once had Neu! 2 - white vinyl issue in the late-90's - spun it 2 or 3 times - ditched it. WTF were they thinking ?? I'm sure it has its fans, but not me. Years later, I saw a vinyl re-issue of Neu! '75 - I umm'd and aaah'd about it, and decided this is their last chance (ha ha) - so glad I whipped it up. Definitely more like it !! Similar thing with Faust - I bought Faust IV when I saw a copy for cheap - it had its moments but I didn't really fall for it. Years later, I decided on a more modern release that Greg Walker had available on vinyl - You Know FaUSt - again, awesome album, then I came across the clear cover X-Ray debut whilst on hols in the States (New Orleans leg of the journey) and wasn't gonna pass it up for 20 bucks. It is excellent - especially side 1.
Out Of Focus are WICKED !! Especially 'Wake Up'.
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 21:35
The Velvet Underground - s/t
The Velvet Underground & Nico - s/t
The Modern Lovers - s/t
Galaxie 500 - "On Fire"
The Velvet Underground - "Peel Slowly and See" disc 1
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 01:32
Saturday...

Liquid Visions - Endless Plasmatic Childhood Overdose
Toundra - Toundra II
Hail The Sun - Elephantitis (EP)
Sleepy Sun - Fever
Sungrazer - Sungrazer
Grant Glue - Eremo
Red Spektor - Red Spektor 
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 06:28
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

I was initially quite impressed with that one, Gary, but I realised after a few tracks in I was finding it very `been there, done that', with way too much emphasis on the vocals. I got bored very quickly. Apparently there's quite a lot of buzz around it though.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 06:30
Sagi, Sam, Tom, I wonder if you might have heard this one before. It was new to me, I just saw a post of a vendor's stock from a record fair that I attended today and looked into it. It's a lovely reissue of a super-rare Australian instrumental jazz-fusion album from the Seventies, a one-shot band called Arena (no, not that one!). Similar to If, Zzebra, etc, Soft Machine, you name it, with a dash of King Crimson to some of the guitar parts:

The album can be found here on YouTube as well:

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 10:59
Saturday (Not too much...) Sick

King Crimson - Discipline
ELP - Live at Mar & Sol Festival '72
VDGG - H to He, Who Am the Only One
Hatfield and the North - Hattitude
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 11:36
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I was initially quite impressed with that one, Gary, but I realised after a few tracks in I was finding it very `been there, done that', with way too much emphasis on the vocals. I got bored very quickly. Apparently there's quite a lot of buzz around it though.

I hear what you're saying, Michael. I prefer no vocals or minimal vocals when it comes to this style of rock.
The music on this album is great and the guitar is hot so that was enough for me to place an order.
It's their debut so we'll see what they do on the next album.  
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 13:51
No-Man - Love And Endings.
Killing Joke - The Peel Sessions 1979-1981.
Stina Nordenstam - This Is Stina Nordenstam.
Joy Division - Closer.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 15:01
Keith Tippett Group - Dedicated To You, But You Weren't Listening. Probably a mistake to listen to this album to start my day just after walking the dog, taking a shower and eating my breakfast. I don't feel like at that point I was able to fully comprehend such a sophisticated work. However, I really enjoyed it and while some free-jazz work outs might be a bit tiring, Keith Tippett's squad comprises the finest musicians for playing the type of music he is dealing with.
Mythos - Mythos. Mythos' self-titled album is a perfect melange of oriental music and so-called "kosmische musik". This is an incredible cosmic record with a really calming, relaxing feel. I especially liked the haunting flute and the application of the exotic-sounding sitar.
Out Of Focus - Wake Up!. Although (in my opinion) not as good as the follow-up of this one, this is a very good album that seems to flow very naturally. The fusion of simple jazz-rock and wilder krautrock gives really great results. The interplay of organ, guitar, and saxophone is really where it's all at for this album.
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom. With every listen, this album strikes me differently. It was because of The Wire interview I've read with Wyatt that I wanted to listen to Rock Bottom. Great record, but I am yet to find something that brings a tear to one's eye (as many say it does).
Gong - Camembert Electrique. I listened to it to make sure if my 5-star review of the album is appropriate. It is! Really love this record!
Moving Gelatine Plates - Moving Gelatine Plates. I really like to revisit this album once in a while. Although MGP were from France, their sound is incredibly authentic and is more Canterbury than some of the Canterburian bands, if you will. Great album!
Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia. This is a natural extension of my Neu! listenings. I was very positively suprised with this album and its smooth, calming sound. I am very positively suprised with this band!
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 22:54
The Velvet Underground - "Peel Slowly and See" discs 2 and 3
The Modern Lovers - s/t
Iggy and The Stooges - "Raw Power"
Jonathan Richman - "I, Jonathan"
The Velvet Underground - "Peel Slowly and See" disc 4
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 01:17
Sunday...

Farflung - "5"
Void King - There Is Nothing
Wo Fat - The Conjuring
The Machine - Solar Corona
Samsara Blues Experiment - Waiting For The Flood 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 04:24
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Sagi, Sam, Tom, I wonder if you might have heard this one before. It was new to me, I just saw a post of a vendor's stock from a record fair that I attended today and looked into it. It's a lovely reissue of a super-rare Australian instrumental jazz-fusion album from the Seventies, a one-shot band called Arena (no, not that one!). Similar to If, Zzebra, etc, Soft Machine, you name it, with a dash of King Crimson to some of the guitar parts:
Groovy! Cool Looks like they are on JMA but not on PA.

Harmonia - Musik Von Harmonia. This is a natural extension of my Neu! listenings. I was very positively suprised with this album and its smooth, calming sound. I am very positively suprised with this band!
I really need to get this one, especially since it seems impossible to stream now.

Samsara Blues Experiment - Waiting For The Flood 
What do you think of it? I always have the impression it really lacks diversity, compared to the previous two.

Sunday:
Zanov - Open Worlds
FFS - s/t
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 09:53
^  My order of preference would be Long Distance Trip, Revelation & Mystery and then Waiting For The Flood.
As far as I know they are still together so there should have been a new album by now.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 11:28
^ Mine too. It's curious, WFTF is 20 minutes shorter than the debut but it always seems longer to me Tongue
I remember they said something about a new epic. I hope they'll do something better than the last, for a change Wink
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 11:39
^  Yeah, like most people I like to see bands get a little better each time, not the other way around.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 491492493494495 511>