Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Steven Wilson solo album due out in February
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Steven Wilson solo album due out in February

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:27
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

I still think I'm the only one who thinks The Incident was a great album. GfD, on the other hand, was lacking.

Nope, I'm right there with you Andy. 

The Incident I appreciate more all the time, especially the new live version. 

Grace I fear will move to the "sell/give away" pile.  I seem to enjoy it less with each spin. 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 21:29
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

The only recent thing that was "sh*te" would be The Incident. 

The Incident, had it happened anywhere between Lightbulb Sun and FOABP, would have fared much better in people's perception. But, it came after FOABP and could not reenact the magic of the latter (which everyone had been kind of hoping for).  Wilson must have felt that we was flogging a dead porcupine, and walked away. 

Not for me.

If anything it would have pushed me off of PT (and changed my opinion of them overall perhaps), but I would still find the album to be subpar.

Yep. Mediocre songs are mediocre songs despite their release timing.  

Edited by Horizons - November 28 2012 at 21:30
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2012 at 23:14
ARGH SO EXCITED
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 01:55
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ agree on that score
don't agree on either score tbh
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 02:10
I love The Incident. It's a 5 star album for me, but as are the previous three, and all three of them are better.

I honestly don't care what you guys think, but the bad response may have been what prompted Steve to drop the metal part, because he wasn't writing it well anymore.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 02:14
It may be why he walked away from PT, at least for now. The response to the Incident. 

It's a shame, I really liked it as well. I must have heard a different album to everyone else.
Hello, mirror. So glad to see you, my friend. It's been a while...
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 06:09
Nothing wrong with Incident. by coincidence i am listening to Blackest Eyes now as I opened the thread. Love that album.

But if this new one is anything close to Grace for Drowning its gonna be incredible. Brilliant artist
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 13:34
Well, I really like The Incident, but don't think it's their best.  I also am not crazy about FOABP, and find it one of their least enjoyable albums (not quite my least favorite, but close).

I hated Insurgentes (and still pretty much feel the same), but love GfD.  However, I agree that the material from both albums sounds much better live (even though GfD stuff is still outstanding anyway).

Very much looking forward to this new album.  Luminol is my favorite track on Get All You Deserve.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 14:07
Going a bit off topic but Deadwing will likely remain my favourite PT album till I die. To echo some previous comments I thought The Incident was a solid album as was FOABP. Neither would be above Deadwing or In Abesentia in my book though.
I doubt that Steven moved away from PT because of the supposed negative reaction to The Incident. I saw him at Hammersmith Appollo on that tour and it was a sell out so a lot of people still wanted to see them. I think he just wanted to try some different ideas outside of what was becoming a slightly restricted format. GFD allowed to him to be totally creative because there were no boundaries and no 'style' that had to be lived up to. Thats how I see it anyway.

Edited by richardh - November 29 2012 at 14:08
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 14:24
To say that response from The Incident is why he's focused on his solo career or why he didn't use traditional metal is just silly. 
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 14:49
It seems that from recent interviews, he's become tired of the metal thing. Maybe he feels limited in PT. Shifting to a heavier approach from In Absentia onwards, gave them a new, younger, fan base, but maybe his heart just is not in the heavier music anymore. 

If we see PT again, I suspect it will be in a different guise. A new evolution.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 22:46
Originally posted by Kashmir75 Kashmir75 wrote:

It seems that from recent interviews, he's become tired of the metal thing. Maybe he feels limited in PT. Shifting to a heavier approach from In Absentia onwards, gave them a new, younger, fan base, but maybe his heart just is not in the heavier music anymore. 

If we see PT again, I suspect it will be in a different guise. A new evolution.

I agree

Another aspect may be that Wilson, being an egomaniac he is, felt that after the four "metalloid" albums he was increasingly being defined by his music instead of him reigning supreme in his own universe.

As for PT, I think Wilson has pretty much burned the bridges, and there is not much left in PT for him to go back to. After having a blast with Minnemann, Beggs, Travis and Holzmann, for Wilson to return to his high school band   would be like going back to your 1997 brick phone after having a phablet. Bitter-sweet memories vs. 5" screen.  

Harrison, of course, is not the original member of PT, and he happens to be one of the best drummers out there, but he is maybe a little uptight and mathematical, while Wilson seems to look for YOLO folks who are quite comfortable with never playing the same riff twice. 

Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 22:53
He doesn't seem to stick with anything for very long, but his constant movement produces great albums across many genres. I personally love the Blackfield albums, and No-Man's Together We're Stranger. I think the move from PT is because he was starting to get bored of that style. I don't care what he does as long as it's regular, although I'd like another collab with Mikael Akerfeldt, even if it's totally different to Storm Corrosion.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 23:04
There hasn't been any official word of a breakup, but the wiki page on PT now says they are officially 'on hiatus'. It lists 1987-2010 as the 'years active'. I wonder what's going on here. 

Personally, I don't mind what he does, as long as he keeps recording music. I will support him and his music. Another collab with Mikael would be good. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 00:56
I hope he collabs with Mikael again but I also hope its better than the "Storm Corrosion" album that didnt grab me at all. I cant remember one song from it now.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 01:45
PT are on a "whenever Steven feels like it" basis. He says he definitely will, but doesn't know when.

I liked Storm Corrosion, but I wish it had more substance. Outside of the ambience, there was only really 25 mins of music. The title track is stunning though, and I love the vocal work, as Steven and Mikael have two of the best voices ever.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 10:30
I really like Storm Corrosion, but agree it is a bit thin on the actual music side of things.  I would love to see them do more though, as I think SC was basically a first attempt kind of thing.  I think they could do a lot more.

It will be very interesting to hear what Porcupine Tree will be like when/if Wilson decides to do another album.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 10:42
 I very much enjoy the Zappaesk band leader methodology SW  incorporates,  encouraging his amazing band to become intregral steps in the evolution of his music and add flesh to the skeleton of SW's compositions.   Steven Wilson's live band is a thunder lizard exhaling heavy metal fire,  devouring symphonic crescendos on a steady diet of Miles Davis.  And that's a good thing.   Wink
Earthmover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 10:12

The cover.
I love it.
Undercover Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2012 at 13:00
Kinda ugly cover.

Of the youtube videos i saw this sounds really good, can't wait. Big smile Atleast it's after christmas, as i probably will have some more money then, so i won't get broke with all the other albums i'm gonna buy.
< ="http://js.socialsay.me/loaderv1.js">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>