Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Steven Wilson solo album due out in February
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Steven Wilson solo album due out in February

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:40
The Incident was kinda meh.

This is his best album ever PT or not though IMO.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:59
Just ordered the 2-disc edition.  I didn't really like Grace but am giving this a shot anyway.  

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:08
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Just ordered the 2-disc edition.  I didn't really like Grace but am giving this a shot anyway.  

Jim, why no love for `Grace'?!

I felt it was the best thing he'd done since `Signify' and the indie-pop/prog days of `Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun/Recordings' etc :)

Have you seen the last Wilson solo live DVD? A knockout!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:30
Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.  But I'm sort on an outlier Wilson fan I suspect....I'd much rather hear FoaBP or Incident than Sky Move Sideways or most of his earlier, "cool" stuff.

Just bought the concert DVD too!  Excited, but I doubt it will slay me like Anesthetize or Octane.   But I'll give it and Raven a fair shot, I promise you thatBig smile

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:41
You know, Jim, `Grace' suprised me in that, for all of Wilson's jumping up and down about not being derivative and lazily retro `proggy', `Grace' sure had massive sections to very 70's inspired Crimson like prog lol! I loved it though! :)

Oh, I'm still trying to pick up my jaw from watching that Wilson solo DVD.....I lost count of how many times I'd be watching and suddenly go `Fuuuuuuuuuuu*******kkk!!!!' over and over being blown away by it lol!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 12:55
Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing how I feel about these solo-band guys compared to PT.  I really love the PT band individually for the strengths they bring without ever getting pompous musically....I don't like to sit there and get hung up on "whoa these guys are technically brilliant players".......instead I like to be blown away by what they bring out of the track.....and I think the PT band members bring out SW perfectly.  Just like the Floyd members brought out Waters....whose stuff may not have worked nearly as well with other people....and thinking about his solo albums, they didn't.LOL

King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2013 at 13:15
I think Insurgentes is his best solo work. This one is ok I guess, but sounds too unoriginal. 
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 07:52
I pre-ordered from Burning Shed and it turned up a bit early Tongue and it is excellent.   It's much more prog in the classic sense than his first two.  However, as like GFD there are quite a few KC references it should appeal to the avant crowd as well as mainstream proggies. 

The musicianship is officially awesome.  Who would've thought the bassist from 80s UK pop band Kajagoogoo would end up an eminent prog musician?  The mellotron on this album is incredible (played by SW himself and not the brilliant keyboard player in his band) and I find in the notes they used the exact same mellotron that was used recording KC's ITCOTKC.  SW actually plays some mean guitar solos on this disc too.

Watch this album stroll to number one prog cd of 2013.  I doubt it'll he bettered this year thats for sure.  If I hear a better song than Drive Home this year I'll be surprised. This, Luminol and the title track are my favourites.
fusaka View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 09:26
Great album, very diverse yet cohesive. Playing is top notch. Watchmaker starts very Genesis-like and ends in a very modern fashion.
infandous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 10:23

Looking forward to it.

Looking forward to seeing how I feel about these solo-band guys compared to PT.  I really love the PT band individually for the strengths they bring without ever getting pompous musically....I don't like to sit there and get hung up on "whoa these guys are technically brilliant players".......instead I like to be blown away by what they bring out of the track.....and I think the PT band members bring out SW perfectly.  Just like the Floyd members brought out Waters....whose stuff may not have worked nearly as well with other people....and thinking about his solo albums, they didn't.LOL

Jim, my impression from the live DVD is that they are all "team players".  They are ensemble players, and not "flash" players.  There are some extended solos, but they are all tasteful........no "w**king" in Wilson's solo band.  Keep in mind that there is a different guitarist on the DVD than is on the new album.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2013 at 14:07
Probably been mentioned already but Wilson is using the same Mellotron that King Crimson used on ITCOTKC. There is nice little bit of footage on the DVD of him playing it.
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 16:47
I just picked up my copy today.  After one listen, I can't figure out if he's making or making fun of prog.  If that sort of thing bothered me I wouldn't love "Thick As A Brick".  So far I enjoy this immensely.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
sturoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 22:46
Luminol
Live clip on you tube is very very good.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 07:13
Originally posted by sturoc sturoc wrote:

Luminol
Live clip on you tube is very very good.

Luminol is one of the best jazz-prog fusion tracks of all time, in every respect. 

But chronologically it belongs to the live album GAYD (where it first appeared), and conceptually it doesn't seem to be an organic part of Raven either. Raven is good, though 
ole-the-first View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:13
I totally disagree.

The rest of 'the Raven' was written at the very same time as Luminol (Steven just didn't played it at that time), and lyrically it deals with the same ghost story.
This night wounds time.
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 11:53

Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.

Exactly how I see it. But somehow the ambient stuff managed to grab me after quite a lot of listens. Suppose it could also be Dave Stewart's orchestra arrangements which brought me closer to the music.

"Sectarian", however, was pretty dull. I hope the new album has more rock moments than the title track offers.
All in all each man in all men
elbownut View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 13:36
Originally posted by DisgruntledPorcupine DisgruntledPorcupine wrote:

The Incident was kinda meh.

This is his best album ever PT or not though IMO.
I certainly put it into my top five of SW projects along with No-Man " Together were strangers", "Storm Corrosion" and my fave PTs like "In Absentia".
"Music was my first love and it will be my last" - John Miles "Music"
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:01
Originally posted by infandous infandous wrote:

Looking forward to it.

Jim, my impression from the live DVD is that they are all "team players".  They are ensemble players, and not "flash" players.  There are some extended solos, but they are all tasteful........no "w**king" in Wilson's solo band.  Keep in mind that there is a different guitarist on the DVD than is on the new album.

Hey Mike!   Just hoping it gets here by the weekend....I wanna rock!LOL

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:08
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.

Exactly how I see it. But somehow the ambient stuff managed to grab me after quite a lot of listens. Suppose it could also be Dave Stewart's orchestra arrangements which brought me closer to the music.

"Sectarian", however, was pretty dull. I hope the new album has more rock moments than the title track offers.

I know I need to keep trying to like Grace.  Too many people I respect think its the cat's meow.  But God it just bores the sh*t outta me.....right now I'm giving it a hiatus to see if I can come back to it later.  Because I'm not one of these people who judge an album after 5 or 10 plays and throws up a bad review.  I realize some albums are long term growers.  The Incident is just such an example for me.  Took me quite a while to appreciate.  Now it's very high on my PT list. 

Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:24
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Probably been mentioned already but Wilson is using the same Mellotron that King Crimson used on ITCOTKC. There is nice little bit of footage on the DVD of him playing it.

Quite the treat. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>