Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Steven Wilson solo album due out in February
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Steven Wilson solo album due out in February

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:36
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.

Exactly how I see it. But somehow the ambient stuff managed to grab me after quite a lot of listens. Suppose it could also be Dave Stewart's orchestra arrangements which brought me closer to the music.

"Sectarian", however, was pretty dull. I hope the new album has more rock moments than the title track offers.

I know I need to keep trying to like Grace.  Too many people I respect think its the cat's meow.  But God it just bores the sh*t outta me.....right now I'm giving it a hiatus to see if I can come back to it later.  Because I'm not one of these people who judge an album after 5 or 10 plays and throws up a bad review.  I realize some albums are long term growers.  The Incident is just such an example for me.  Took me quite a while to appreciate.  Now it's very high on my PT list. 

I find it to be nothing like Grace, so no worries there. By far the most interesting and most accessible Steven solo album. There's no diddling and daddling, it's straight up proggy bliss. Easily 2013 album of the year!!
      Check out my FREE album: A one-man project   The Distant Dynasty

https://distantdynasty.bandcamp.com/
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:45
More accessible than Insurgentes? I mean if walls of sound turn you off that much. 

Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 18:55

I know I need to keep trying to like Grace.  Too many people I respect think its the cat's meow.  But God it just bores the sh*t outta me.....right now I'm giving it a hiatus to see if I can come back to it later.    The Incident is just such an example for me.  Took me quite a while to appreciate.  Now it's very high on my PT list. 

Why do you feel you need to keep trying to like Grace? In his 25-26 years of music-making Wilson has produced such a vast body of work that there is something for everybody to love, to hate and to be indifferent to. You might find it easier and more pleasant just to like what you like, and ignore what you don't. 
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 19:13
Because some albums are growers and don't appeal to me initially, though later they do.  I try to give albums, especially well respected ones, time.   Many times I've come to appreciate or even love albums I loathed initially.  Had I written them off quickly I'd have missed out on some great stuff. 

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 19:16
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

More accessible than Insurgentes? I mean if walls of sound turn you off that much. 

Far more accessible for a progressive fan, yes. I do love Insurgentes also, but I must admit, The Raven blows it out of the water.

Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 19:17

Because some albums are growers and don't appeal to me initially, though later they do.  I try to give albums, especially well respected ones, time.   Many times I've come to appreciate or even love albums I loathed initially.  Had I written them off quickly I'd have missed out on some great stuff. 

I feel the same way. I want to understand why some people love this album. King Crimson was like that. Some hated Lizard, some loved it immensely. I tried it over and over, and now it remains as my favorite KC album. Every album needs a re-re-re-re-listen.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 19:27
great avatar Brandon!Smile^

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 19:44
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

This phenomenon is completely unfamiliar to me. In fact, with me it's often the other way around: I may give something the benefit of the doubt, extrapolating my expectations from the previous experience (or drifting along with wishful thinking), only to be a little disappointed afterwards, when the anticipation fails reality check. 

I feel the same way. I want to understand why some people love this album. King Crimson was like that. Some hated Lizard, some loved it immensely. I tried it over and over, and now it remains as my favorite KC album. Every album needs a re-re-re-re-listen.

Both the Lizard/Poseidon/Islands triad and the next one, LTIA/Starless/Red, are excellent - with different lineups, in different ways, for different moods, but both great.  

Edited by Argonaught - February 28 2013 at 19:45
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 20:05
^ I have certainly had that happen too.  Loved something right out of the box and grew to despise it.  Yup, that's happened a number of times. 

Both phenomena are a big reason I try to wait quite a while before reviewing something. 

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2013 at 20:35

Grace, bottom line I didn't buy the "proggy", intense sections at all...thought they felt totally contrived, proggy for the sake of it, whereas I think he is brilliant and a natural for crafting melodic pop with crossover or metal overtones.  But I'm sort on an outlier Wilson fan I suspect....I'd much rather hear FoaBP or Incident than Sky Move Sideways or most of his earlier, "cool" stuff.Just bought the concert DVD too!  Excited, but I doubt it will slay me like Anesthetize or Octane.   But I'll give it and Raven a fair shot, I promise you thatBig smile

I don't know much of the pre-Harrison Porcupine Tree, except for the live album "Coma Divine", and so far I got all the Harrison albums, however I haven't enjoyed any of them as much as "Coma Divine", I kind of find it more interesting and all. For that matter, I also liked "Grace for Drowning" more than any of those albums more, though for different reasons. As for the Lizard/Islands comparisons made with Grace for Drowning, I kind of agree too, though I like GfD more than those Crimson albums too.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 18:18

great avatar Brandon!Smile^
Thanks!!! Big smile My name was gonna be Rockyraccoon, but that was already taken!! (Since Rocky Raccoon is my favoritest Beatles song ever!! Pinch) So for some strange reason instead I just put Raccoon as my username, haha. Anyways, this is the closest I could get to show my love for that song.. A picture of 'Cowboy Paul'! Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456