Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - New Spock's Beard-Brief Nocturnes &Dreamless Sleep
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Spock's Beard-Brief Nocturnes &Dreamless Sleep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Spock's Beard-Brief Nocturnes &Dreamless Sleep
    Posted: November 29 2012 at 16:18
Adding to list of big names coming next year is Spock's Beard, whose anticipated new album, the first without drummer/singer Nick D'Virglio, is arriving next March.

Pre-orders are to start November 30th, 2012 and more info will be posted then.

Edited by Andy Webb - November 29 2012 at 16:43
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 16:27
Ooh, exciting news!

I'm not the biggest fan of the Enchant singer they've now got (bit too draining to listen to!), but there's enough talent in the band for them to carry on, so I'll definately be grabbing this newie!

X will be a hard act to follow, the best of the `D'Virgilio' albums!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 16:42
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

`D'Virgilio'

D'Vriglio, D'Virglio, what's the difference?! Embarrassed

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 16:52
Did I spell his name wrong?! I hope not, I just put up a review a day ago for the album Nick appears on `Mystery - The World Is A Game' and wrote his surname like that several times!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 16:58

Did I spell his name wrong?! I hope not, I just put up a review a day ago for the album Nick appears on `Mystery - The World Is A Game' and wrote his surname like that several times!

No, I did! LOL

I thought you had noticed, hence the quotes. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 16:59
Excellent news, even though I'm not expect all that much.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 17:13
Originally posted by Andy Webb Andy Webb wrote:

No, I did! LOL
I thought you had noticed, hence the quotes. 

Oh, no, not at all Andy lol! I wasn't having a go at you, and I sure didn't spot any spelling mistake at all! Now I'll be sure to scan all your posts for spelling errors!

I think I was just trying to emphasise the four albums with Nick as the singer!

OK, confusion over!

Can I ask you guys....Do you feel there is any bad blood between Nick and the remaining Spock's Beard guys? I just found it confusing that he left the band due to having no time commitments due to his Cirque Du Soleil work, yet, amongst other appearances, he found the time to do all the drumming on the recent Mystery and Big Big Train albums. Unless I didn't look close enough, he didn't thank the Spock's guys in the credits on either album too.

Am I just `reading between the lines' too much and finding something that's not really there?!
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2012 at 17:32
As far as I know, and what I remember from the press release, there's no bad blood at all. Nick seemed to have left on good terms and they certainly rebounded quickly.
Wanorak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 13:15
The teaser sounds great! Mr. Leonard works as a replacement for Nick D'Virgilio and the band sounds tight!
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!
SMSM View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 15:37
I like the Enchant vocalist and the stuff Enchant did,
Thanks for the information as I was not too impressed with the material after Neil Morse left
JIF8882 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 00:07
Has anyone mentioned that the new Beard cd will be called Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep?
J Dawg
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2013 at 07:41

Can I ask you guys....Do you feel there is any bad blood between Nick and the remaining Spock's Beard guys? I just found it confusing that he left the band due to having no time commitments due to his Cirque Du Soleil work, yet, amongst other appearances, he found the time to do all the drumming on the recent Mystery and Big Big Train albums. Unless I didn't look close enough, he didn't thank the Spock's guys in the credits on either album too.

Am I just `reading between the lines' too much and finding something that's not really there?!

I'll say this, I certainly haven't heard anything to confirm, but I had the same thought process myself.  For not having enough time, he sure found time for a bunch of other projects.  Maybe it's the difference between recording something with a project and touring with them as well.  My understanding is that the tour requirements was part of the issue behind the split.  Maybe it's a Portney type thing, they wanted to move on, he needed time.

I think you're right though, I think there's something more that we aren't privy to.
martinprog77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 23:44
i like the album cover.looks pretty nice  Smile
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2013 at 23:50
Saw that today myself, Martin, and thought `ooooh, pretty prog rock cover' lol!

Hoping this now gets a vinyl edition like the previous album!

Damn that's a wordy and pretentious album title, though! Along with the cover, I love it, just totally screams prog rock and proud of it!
glassonyonpr View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 15:19
For Immediate Release
Prog Legends Spock's Beard Film New Video In Support Of Newly Released Album 
'Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep'
Los Angeles, CA - Prog legends Spock's Beard, in support of their newly released and critically acclaimed album, 'Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep', are filming a video for the track “Submerged.” The three-day shoot is based in Los Angeles, and inside sources say it is a full-on music spectacle! Released on April 2nd, 'Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep', marks the return of Spock's Beard to the InsideOut Music label, and the two-disc set has been garnering rave reviews from fans and critics alike worldwide.

Founding band member Alan Morse comments about the video: “'Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep' is a new and exciting direction for us, and when we read the director's treatment for the video, we immediately knew we had found the perfect person to help us bring our musical vision to the screen. It is equal parts performance and concept, and  there will be as many twists and turns in the video as there are in our music. You'll never hear 'Submerged' the same way again.

In their 20 years together, Spock's Beard have built a reputation for invention, musicality and sheer restive energy. Yet perhaps nothing they have done before can properly prepare you for their 11th studio album. 'Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep' is an album that will constantly surprise. Featuring the recording debut of long-time tour drummer Jimmy Keegan (Santana), and vocalist/guitarist Ted Leonard (Enchant, Thought Chamber), it also sees the return of a familiar name to the song-writing credits - Neal Morse, who has co-written two tracks, his first since leaving the band more than a decade ago. 

Gary Brown of Classic Rock Radio Dot EU raves about Spock's Beard's 'Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep', “Perfect album from start to finish...one of the best hard rock/mainstream prog albums I've heard in a long time!” Ytsejam touts, “In the end, it is the Spock's Beard album we all have been waiting for, as Morse, Meros, Okumoto, Leonard and Keegan have produced another excellent offering of musical mayhem. A true testament to what progressive rock is in the 21st Century and beyond.”

Co-produced by Alan Morse, Rich Mouser and John Boegehold, 'Brief Nocturnes And Dreamless Sleep' is described by Meros as, “quirky, edgy, and reminding us a little bit of older times in the band, but also taking us further forward.” In regards to the song the band is filming the video to, “Submerged”, Dave explains, “Ted had originally written and recorded this for his solo album 'Way Home' (released in 2007), and it's a real stadium rocker. We've adapted it to our own sound but stayed faithful to Ted's original arrangement. I wouldn't say it's strictly Prog Rock, but fits what we do and is a great song.”

Spock's Beard Is:
Alan Morse - guitar, vocals
Dave Meros - bass guitar, vocals, keyboards
Ryo Okumoto - keyboards, vocals
Jimmy Keegan - drums, vocals
Ted Leonard - vocals, guitar

In closing Dave has this to impart about 'Brief Nocturnes & Dreamless Sleep', “I am proud of what we've done. I believe this is the way Spock's Beard should sound in 2013.”

Spock's Bears 'Brief Nocturnes & Dreamless Sleep' (2CD)(INO0647-2)

Press inquiries: Glass Onyon PR, PH: 828-350-8158[email protected]

Post Reply Post Reply