FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew IQ album to begin production 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:34
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

It appears this album is not on the InsideOut label, so I am unlikely to get it at my local store.  Anyone know what U.S. mail order vendor has the best price (two-disc set please!)?

I got mine at Laser's Edge music. Paid 26$ plus all the shipping bullsh*t. Not getting around it. You gotta fork out over 20$ bones for this album right now. Personally, if I had an ounce of will power when it comes to new releases with my favourite bands I've would've waited a bit...
Good luck in your search and as Yam Yam said the mp3 file is 10$ on amazon u.s if your into just getting a digital file only. :)
Amazon Canada has the album listed over 40$ right now with taxes and shipping. :(
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:49
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Vinyl...Vinyl...vinyl!!!!

I suppose I will order the CD eventually....Listened some to the title track, sounds pretty good.

You'll get yours buddy. Worse case senerio....DAC it!   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 19:52
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Exceptional. Can't wait for the cdApprove

Hey Laze!

Great, favourable review on the album. Well done. I too, feel Road Of bones deserves the full 5-thunderbolts.

Best album I've heard in 2014 so far and I doubt that will be topped.
Anathema may have the best chance, but I doubt it.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2014 at 21:18
I don't really know... anything from this band really. However, I just read a pair of very favourable reviews from this band, and so it's average rating being still very high (being already over 100 ratings)... I guess it is still bound to come down, but still it seems people are liking this album very much. Is it really so great? Is it really the best album this band has released in their career? Because I checked (rather quickly) the ratings of their albums and none of the albums from what I would guess is their classic era (80's?) is so very high (none over 4 stars). I ask because I got rather curious about this one, and am wondering if it's worth getting, even if I know nothing about the band.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 00:59
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Exceptional. Can't wait for the cdApprove

Hey Laze!

Great, favourable review on the album. Well done. I too, feel Road Of bones deserves the full 5-thunderbolts.

Best album I've heard in 2014 so far and I doubt that will be topped.
Anathema may have the best chance, but I doubt it.

Thank youThumbs Up
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 01:01
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I don't really know... anything from this band really. However, I just read a pair of very favourable reviews from this band, and so it's average rating being still very high (being already over 100 ratings)... I guess it is still bound to come down, but still it seems people are liking this album very much. Is it really so great? Is it really the best album this band has released in their career? Because I checked (rather quickly) the ratings of their albums and none of the albums from what I would guess is their classic era (80's?) is so very high (none over 4 stars). I ask because I got rather curious about this one, and am wondering if it's worth getting, even if I know nothing about the band.

As with most new releases, I suspect that the average rating will settle down a bit, although I do not anticipate it going down that much.

I have followed the band since those old days, and love them. This album is, IMO, genuinely up there with the finest moments of a long and distinguished career.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 01:16

NO is the short answer but if you do get it then I would go for the two disc version as the second disc is a bit more interesting than the first imo.
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 05:32

I would point out here that IQ are unusual in that, if anything, general opinion seems to be that on the whole they've become better over time, and many of the more recent albums- especially Frequency- are considered their best. I don't think Road of Bones quite tops that, it's a bit too ballady/lacks energy (but I only have the single-disc album proper), but it's very good and growing on me. "The science is wearing thin..." is a stunning section.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2014 at 20:58
Well, perhaps it's time to give them a try. If I'm lucky and the album arrives at the music shop I visit frequently I should be trying to get it... if I have to buy it on internet or ask them to bring it for me... well, I'll see.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 20:20
After several listens to this album it's still amazing to my ears. The Road Of Bones is a quality album. It's brilliant.
I think the rating for the album should stay where it is in reality, but it will change.
When I'm not such a layabout when I review the sucker I'm pretty keen on giving it 5-bones...no pun intended.
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 20:31
I'll have to give the rest of this album a shot..

I didn't like the title track though.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 21:10

Well, perhaps it's time to give them a try. If I'm lucky and the album arrives at the music shop I visit frequently I should be trying to get it... if I have to buy it on internet or ask them to bring it for me... well, I'll see.

Well you'd be starting in a great Place with their latest effort. Not bad, but make sure that sometime in your lifetime you give the album EVER a spin. The level of emotion put into that album is unbelievably beautiful. Hope you enjoy.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2014 at 21:52
Anyone new to IQ who wants a taste of what this fine band is all about  - have a look at this post from a couple of years ago in the IQ Appreciation ThreadEmbarrassed
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2014 at 12:05

Clippings from the latest newsletter:

THE ROAD OF BONES

“Quite possibly the best album of 2014”
“A masterpiece of sophisticated rock music”
“Prog rock at its best”
“Sheer drama and suspense captured in bedazzling musical perfection”
“…this is progressive rock at its finest and it will capture your heart”
“Pure prog delight!”
“…a masterpiece of progressive rock music - it's a definition of a masterpiece”
“…another fantastic release from IQ - a sure contender for album of the year”

The Road of Bones, the new IQ album, has been receiving exceptional reviews in both the Progressive rock and Metal press:

• 9/10 and ‘Album of the month’, Eclipsed, Germany
  • 6/6, Scream Magazine, Norway
  • 5/5, United Rock Nations, France
  • 9/10, Music Credo, Netherlands
  • 8.5/10, Rock Hard, Germany
  • 8.5/10, Metal 1, Germany
  • 83/100, Aardschok, Netherlands
  • 5/6, Rocks, Germany
  • 8/10, Metal Glory, Germany
  • 5/7, Metal Hammer, Germany

The album reached number 36 in the official German album charts, and an incredible number 23 in the official UK independent album charts.

The Road of Bones is available as a single disc format and a special edition 2 disc set featuring a further 50 minutes of new music. Buy the CD from the GEP store, or buy the download from Amazon or iTunes.

See IQ on the Road of Bones tour (more dates to follow):

18th July - Night of the Prog Festival, Loreley, Germany - TICKETS
30 August - Ino Rock Festival, Inowroclaw, Poland - TICKETS
11th October - The Met, Bury, UK - TICKETS
6th December - De Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Holland - TICKETS
20 December - O2 Academy, London Islington, UK - TICKETS

IQ ONLINE

We’ve just reached 8,000 likes on the IQ Facebook site! If you haven’t already done so, like us on Facebook and help us achieve our target of 10,000 likes by the end of the year.

The Road Of Bones is currently number one in the ‘Prog albums of 2014’ list at top prog website and forum Progarchives, and at number 36 in their top Prog albums of all time. Feel free to add your own review or rating at Progarchives.com.

The Road of Bones reached number 4 in the best selling rock downloads on Amazon.co.uk, with 21 out of 23 reviews giving it the full 5 out of 5 stars.

We’ve added new TRoB’ themed image downloads to the IQ site – feel free to use them in your website/blog/forum/desktop…

THE ROAD OF BONES ON VINYL

After receiving a huge amount of requests, GEP are considering a limited edition pressing of IQ’s The Road Of Bones on vinyl. Given that the CD comes in both a 1 disc and 2 disc edition we’re not too sure just how we’d go about this at the moment. Should it be:

• A single vinyl disc for the one disc edition?
  • A two vinyl disc for the one disc edition?
  • Perhaps a triple vinyl set with all eleven tracks from the special 2 disc edition?

A deluxe triple gatefold sleeve would look gorgeous, but do you think that would stretch the budget a bit too far?

Drop by the IQ facebook page or the IQ forum and let us know what you think - we’d really appreciate some feedback from you.

Edited by yam yam - June 13 2014 at 12:13
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 08:19
And a vinyl edition has indeed been confirmed for later in the year: http://iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/browse-by-year/2014/item/the-road-of-bones-on-deluxe-vinyl:

"GEP and IQ are pleased to announce The Road of Bones will be released in vinyl format later this year. Pre-orders are now being taken via the GEP Online Store.

Thanks to your feedback we've decided to go with the most popular choice by far which is the triple disc, triple gatefold format.

This deluxe vinyl edition will feature:
 ◦All the material from both discs of the special edition double CD
 ◦Three 180 gram vinyl discs
 ◦Deluxe triple gatefold cover
 ◦Four page A4 brochure folding out to an A2 poster of the album artwork

Don't forget to vote for 'The Road of Bones' as album of the year at the Prog Mag Website."

Warthur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2014 at 09:20
Interesting that they are using the 2CD version as the basis for the vinyl release. Looks a bit like the case with Marillion's Marbles where in principle the 1CD and 2CD versions are both available, but in practice the 2CD is the canonical release and the 1CD represents the "edited highlights". Most Marillion listeners I know swear by the 2CD version of Marbles, and I haven't seen any IQ listeners saying "Eh, this is great, but the second CD's a bit rubbish".
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2014 at 03:13
I think they were a bit unsure about how strong the material was on the second disc  because it was a little more adventurous. Having gauged the very positive reaction to it I guess they are now seeing it as a a proper double CD
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2014 at 17:33

GEP and IQ are pleased to announce that The Road of Bones is now available in vinyl format: http://iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/browse-by-year/2014/item/the-road-of-bones-on-vinyl.

This deluxe vinyl edition features:

• All the material from both discs of the special edition double CD
  • Three 180 gram vinyl discs
  • Deluxe triple gatefold cover
  • Four page A4 brochure folding out to an A2 poster of the album artwork

In stock and shipping now via the GEP ONLINE STORE.

Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567