Topic ClosedNew IQ album to begin production 2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New IQ album to begin production 2013
    Posted: November 30 2012 at 16:33
http://www.iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/browse-by-year/2012/item/new-website-2

IQ have just updated their entire website, and also commented on a new IQ album being worked on next year.

IQ are one of the few bands in which every release is better than the last, and although they're now without Orford, I hope they can top Frequency (may be hard, it is stunning).

Predictions? Hopes? Do you think it will be out by the end of next year?
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 16:52
Great news! Frequency was excellent, so I have high hopes for this album.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 22:58
Good to hear!

I hope it makes it out by years end, though if they are only starting on it next year I suspect it won't be.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Gallifrey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 23:05
Really depends on whether they've already been writing. If they plan to start writing next year, then it could be a while.

We've also got the Subterranea film coming out soon, and I hear they've written part of the score for that.
http://thedarkthird.bandcamp.com/
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 23:20
I have no doubt it will be another superb effort. IQ don't just crank albums out for the sake of it every year. They just take their time and put out a quality, thoughtful and exciting album every time.

I don't think they've ever put out a dud album, have they?

(unless of course some of you want to throw the `Nomzano/Are You Sitting Comfortably' albums under that category? I personally enjoy them just fine, but some people don't like them!)
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2012 at 23:42
Frequency will be a hard act to follow, but if any band can equal or perhaps exceed it, IQ is the one.  I have high hopes.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 03:48
I thought they were reissuing Tales From The Lush Attic in January first?

Anyway I got the e-mail as well and purchased the Forever Live DVD as it was on special offer and watched it in the middle of last night ( I'm an insomniac). Good stuff and funny to see John Jowitt wth hair!

Of course its now Tim Esau back in the band so arguably the two strongest musicians in the band have now left. They got over the loss of Orford much better than I expected though and Tim is an excellent bassist.

One of my favourite bands. I think because I am a similar age to most of them it helps me relate to the music on an emotional level.
Wouldn't say every release is better than the last but Frequency was an absolute belter for sure. I preferred The Seventh House to Dark Matter mainly for Pete Nicholls best vocal performance (imo) and the fact that DM got just a bit too close to certain Genesis tracks almost like they were working from a template. Frequency saw a freshening up of the music helped by the arrival of two new members I think.

Can't say I've any clue what to expect for the next album. Tim Esau's first album since The Wake. Could we get something like that dark masterpeice?

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 09:30
Originally posted by Gallifrey Gallifrey wrote:

http://www.iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/browse-by-year/2012/item/new-website-2

IQ have just updated their entire website, and also commented on a new IQ album being worked on next year.
IQ are one of the few bands in which every release is better than the last, and although they're now without Orford, I hope they can top Frequency (may be hard, it is stunning).
Predictions? Hopes? Do you think it will be out by the end of next year?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah!!!! Good eye man!! The week I don't check their website and now I get the good news.

IQ is one of my very favourites in the Neo prog end of things right now, so I am incredibly excited. Here the situation, the last 3 IQ albums have been nothing short of stellar, so it would be hard to say that this new album for 2013 would ever blow. There is just no way. . I have high hopes and I'm a little crushed that JOWITT is no longer with the band after 19 years of service, but Tim Esau will take his place!

All in all I think the new album will be a success. IQ never go cheap on album production and usually take 5 to 6 years to make an album, so you know time and good energy is put into each record. Ever since The release of EVER things have been incredible largely due to Peter Nicholls being at the helm. Anyway, I'm very happy and excited to hear this. Thank you for the update!!! Also, I really think FREQUENCY can be topped.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 09:37
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I thought they were reissuing Tales From The Lush Attic in January first?

Anyway I got the e-mail as well and purchased the Forever Live DVD as it was on special offer and watched it in the middle of last night ( I'm an insomniac). Good stuff and funny to see John Jowitt wth hair!

Of course its now Tim Esau back in the band so arguably the two strongest musicians in the band have now left. They got over the loss of Orford much better than I expected though and Tim is an excellent bassist.

One of my favourite bands. I think because I am a similar age to most of them it helps me relate to the music on an emotional level.

Wouldn't say every release is better than the last but Frequency was an absolute belter for sure. I preferred The Seventh House to Dark Matter mainly for Pete Nicholls best vocal performance (imo) and the fact that DM got just a bit too close to certain Genesis tracks almost like they were working from a template. Frequency saw a freshening up of the music helped by the arrival of two new members I think.

Can't say I've any clue what to expect for the next album. Tim Esau's first album since The Wake. Could we get something like that dark masterpeice?

I bet your as excited as I am. Also, I actually prefer The Seventh House over Dark Matter too. It's a 5 star album in my prog world for sure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 09:40
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I have no doubt it will be another superb effort. IQ don't just crank albums out for the sake of it every year. They just take their time and put out a quality, thoughtful and exciting album every time.

I don't think they've ever put out a dud album, have they?

(unless of course some of you want to throw the `Nomzano/Are You Sitting Comfortably' albums under that category? I personally enjoy them just fine, but some people don't like them!)

I can't imagine the album sucking. Really can't. Also, I like your point about their production Values. I'd maude the same point too. Quality music for intelligent people. I've always felt that should be the band's slogan.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2012 at 14:49
Similar to Pendragon, in that each release becomes stronger. This will be a highlight of 2013 I am sureApprove
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2012 at 16:34
I think expectations are perhaps set a bit high by the sounds of it. IQ rarely ever dip below 4 stars and havn't for over 25 years in my estimation. As already mentoned the production values are the highest. Mike Holmes has a lot to do with that I'm sure.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2012 at 00:13
I have to admit. I haven't been this excited for an album release in a very long time. IQ are a very exciting band and I really dig their overall themes and subject matter with the lyrics and music of course. The reason why I am very excited is because I feel, with certainty, that this next IQ release will be very very good.

They will not fail us!!!
ScorchedFirth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 16:08
I predict it will be a great album, but in the year 2014 at the earliest! 

Personally i'm very excited, IQ are a consistently excellent band.
breathing, eating, defecating, screwing, drinking, spewing, sleeping...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2012 at 11:11
Originally posted by ScorchedFirth ScorchedFirth wrote:

I predict it will be a great album, but in the year 2014 at the earliest!  Personally i'm very excited, IQ are a consistently excellent band.

yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 14:22
Well - we have an update, posted on the website yeterday...not much, but a start at least... http://www.iq-hq.co.uk/index.php/news/item/iq-in-the-studio: "This weekend IQ have been 'hard at it' at Aubitt Studios working on the new album. We'll have more updates on progress throughout the year."
Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 18:01
^ thanks so much yammy! 5yr break from new iq material, but it will be worth the wait. :)
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2013 at 18:05
Terrific news, just the tiniest update to raise the excitement levels again lol! Hopefully we'll have several other nice Neo releases in between to tide us over waiting for it!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 01:30
Didn't realise it was 5 years since the last album. Come to think of it its been about that length of time since I saw them play live. If  they could arrange a gig with Magenta in support then I would be in heavenBeer
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2013 at 07:30
It will be five years by the time it's released. I received my copy of 'Frequency' through the letterbox one morning in late May 2009. I still remember that day fondly - didn't leave the house at all until the evening...and that was only 'cos I'd run out of milk...!! Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>