Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFrancis Lickerish for ProgFolk or Symph

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Francis Lickerish for ProgFolk or Symph
    Posted: December 09 2012 at 04:22
Francis Lickerish (The Enid & Secret Green) has just released a new album,"Far and Forgot - From The Lost Lands"

far and forgot

Two tracks from the album can be heard here: http://www.secretgreen.co.uk/music.html 

On the Secret Green website he said this wasn't a Secret Green release, but was a follow-on from "To Wake The King" and features many of the same musicians

Musically it's not a million miles away from "To Wake The King", with a good nod towards The Enid, but it is a lot more Symphonic and less Folk than TWTK.

So the questions are:

Do we consider this album as a solo release and evaluate it for Symph or Prog Folk?
Or do we just add it to Secret Green discogrpahy?

If we do add it to Secret Green disco do we then consider moving the band to Symphonic?
What?
ClemofNazareth View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2012 at 08:41

Interesting, didn't know he'd put this out.

My first question would be - why release a solo album after all these years and opportunities?  Unless it's because Secret Green is no longer active.  That's pretty much his band anyway and other than this album their website and mySpace site haven't been updated in quite a while.

IMHO this goes in as a solo album under whatever genre makes sense, although I would think that would be Symphonic just knowing Lickerish's background.

"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus
seventhsojourn View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 05:08
I'm not sure how this compares with someone like Fabio Zuffanti who has multiple projects listed on PA, across a wide range of subgenres and often with similar line-ups performing under different band names. Information on these different projects are all available via the Zuffanti link on his PA page. I can see how this might work for Francis Lickerish as well. 

According to Secret Green's website the Lickerish download is ''coming soon'' so do we wait until the full album is available then pass to Symph for eval? 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 05:42
^ it won't be a free download if that's what you're expecting. While the two tracks on the website are not the two long epics, they are representative enough I would have thought (I can vouch that the remainder of the album doesn't go off on a new-age disco extravaganza of ska-punk/death metal fusion if that is a possible concern).
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2012 at 07:35
Originally posted by seventhsojourn seventhsojourn wrote:

I'm not sure how this compares with someone like Fabio Zuffanti who has multiple projects listed on PA, across a wide range of subgenres and often with similar line-ups performing under different band names. Information on these different projects are all available via the Zuffanti link on his PA page. I can see how this might work for Francis Lickerish as well. 

According to Secret Green's website the Lickerish download is ''coming soon'' so do we wait until the full album is available then pass to Symph for eval? 

Yes, but we also have Anthony Arjen Lucassen who is listed as a solo artist as well as under Ayreon, Star One and Stream of Passion.  To look at it another way, if Trey Anastasio were to be added as a solo artist I wouldn't think we'd put the Oysterhead album in with his solo stuff, or vice versa.

For me the big question is whether Secret Green still exists.  Lickerish labeled this as a solo album for a reason I assume.

Either way, I just ordered it and will let you know how it sounds once it arrives.  A bit pricey IMHO, but he rarely disappoints...

Edited by ClemofNazareth - December 11 2012 at 07:36

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2012 at 18:11
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ it won't be a free download if that's what you're expecting. While the two tracks on the website are not the two long epics, they are representative enough I would have thought (I can vouch that the remainder of the album doesn't go off on a new-age disco extravaganza of ska-punk/death metal fusion if that is a possible concern).

No Dean, I wasn't expecting a free download but I somehow managed to completely miss the ''Buy Now'' button for a physical copy. I either need my eyes tested or I'm a whack job.

Yeah I know, there is a third option! WackoGeek
Andy Webb View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 08:07
Well the symph team is "on recess" until the new year, but Dean - is this album even rock? The two provided samples sound like vocal orchestral music to me. They might make it under folk or crossover, but it's hardly in a rock format.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog Folk Researcher

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:55
Okay, well I finally received the CD in the mail.  UK stamps are very cool-looking BTW...

Anyway, this is clearly not an album that would fit very well at all in Prog Folk.  It's closer to the Enid than to Secret Green, quite symphonic and as Andy Webb says barely even rock, although really some of the Enid's albums could be described that way as well, and there are rock instruments including keyboards, drums, and electric guitar and bass so it seems like it should fit here somewhere.  I would suggest Symphonic.  And as for whether this is a Secret Green album, I would say not since there is no mention whatsoever anywhere on the cover art or liner notes of Secret Green, save for the website listed on the back cover and Lickerish seems to be using that as his personal website these days.

He made this a Francis Lickerish album and not a Secret Green one for a reason, even though Hilary Palmer and Jon Beedle are on it (William Gilmour and Matt Hodge are not).  I sent him an email asking why but won't be surprised if we get some sort of tempermental-artist sort of answer.  We'll see...

Albert Camus
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2013 at 19:03
Many thanks Bob! Smile

Passed to the Symph Team. 
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 03:13
I heard these tracks on the website and they all had symphonic elements. 

I would vote YES to Symphonic from what I heard on the album. Brides of the Wind is symphonic, and Willow is symphonic. I would like to hear the rest of the album but I assume its as symphonic as this. 

To Wake the King has a similar feel though found itself in Prog Folk and may need to be removed to Symphonic if the team concur with this.

Thats my opinion anyway

homebandlive
blogdiscographyshoplinkscontact

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - January 15 2013 at 03:17
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 04:46
Hi there Dean. Sorry for getting so late to the discussion here, but I too feel this would fit best in symphonic. Sure there is a distinct eclectic touch to the music, often recalling Celtic folk, yet the main focus to these ears are those larger than life symphonic trades.
Anyway just my opinion, and I would additionally say that this music is absolutely beautiful and serene.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 14:56
I've heard it a couple of times and would like to see it added to symphonic Admittedly there are parts of the album where there is no rock element whatsover but as already said this is also a trait shared by The Enid (obviously no great suprise there)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2013 at 16:26
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 15:37
Originally posted by AtomicCrimsonRush AtomicCrimsonRush wrote:

I heard these tracks on the website and they all had symphonic elements. 

I would vote YES to Symphonic from what I heard on the album. Brides of the Wind is symphonic, and Willow is symphonic. I would like to hear the rest of the album but I assume its as symphonic as this. 

To Wake the King has a similar feel though found itself in Prog Folk and may need to be removed to Symphonic if the team concur with this.

Thats my opinion anyway

Well, given that The Enid is in Symphonic, maybe this is the place for Lickerish too. But from what I remember from To Wake The King, I'm somewhat sceptical of putting the two together.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2013 at 22:13
Not sure, but ready to take the risk

Yes from me

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - January 16 2013 at 22:14

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator