Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedJapanese prog appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 10:04
I saw Ars Nova live about ten years ago. At that time they 2 female members and 1 male (the drummer). They were a lot of fun for sure, Keiko is obviously drawing from Keith Emerson for inspiration but has never copied him much to her credit. I like Fear and Anxiety but Android Domina and Book Of The Dead didn't impress me for some reason although I havn't heard them for a long time.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 11:34
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 12:32
It's a shame Il Berlione is so overlooked regarding their talent and creativeness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cp27HL3tlM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qbjVEbNoyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEjY1x7oU3A
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 14:36
Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

It's a shame Il Berlione is so overlooked regarding their talent and creativeness.

This!
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 18:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I saw Ars Nova live about ten years ago. At that time they 2 female members and 1 male (the drummer). They were a lot of fun for sure, Keiko is obviously drawing from Keith Emerson for inspiration but has never copied him much to her credit. I like Fear and Anxiety but Android Domina and Book Of The Dead didn't impress me for some reason although I havn't heard them for a long time.

The second and third, Transi and Goddess Of Darkness, are regarded as high points by (most of) their fans. I'm particularly fond of Transi since the title track, and subsequently the album, was my first exposure to the band.

So you saw them with Masuhiro Goto? That's cool. I wish I could've seen them with Akiko, though (or at all, for that matter).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 18:15
I wish I saw Ars Nova live with Kyoko on bass !!  I only have their DVD's to go on - she's one gorgeous gal and plays a mean Ricky to boot Tongue.......
Horizons View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 18:35
Originally posted by colorofmoney91 colorofmoney91 wrote:

The Japanese math-rock scene is pretty stellar.
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 20:28
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I wish I saw Ars Nova live with Kyoko on bass !!  I only have their DVD's to go on - she's one gorgeous gal and plays a mean Ricky to boot Tongue.......

Yeah, she's a babe. Love that line-up. Too bad Kyoko quit to focus on her day job (I know it's expensive to live over there). I loved the dual keys line-up with Keiko, Miko and Akiko as heard on Lacrimaria and the killer live album Across The World. Mika never got her own band Triton past the tester stage. Bummer.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 01:58
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Originally posted by sagichim sagichim wrote:

This!

Oh Yeah...Mr. cat!! I already noticed before you liked them. Thumbs Up
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 02:24
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yeah, she's a babe. Love that line-up. Too bad Kyoko quit to focus on her day job (I know it's expensive to live over there). I loved the dual keys line-up with Keiko, Miko and Akiko as heard on Lacrimaria and the killer live album Across The World. Mika never got her own band Triton past the tester stage. Bummer.
Class.....pure class........I thought Kyoko left because she got married....(unfortunately, not to me.....LOL)?
Android Domina is quite a knock-out album actually - I really love the sound on that album, Mika adds much to that one.  The last album I bought of theirs was 'Biogenesis Project' and it didn't really excite me, and, the mastering seems rather lousy - I have to turn the volume right down and it still distorts - it's just too loud all the way.......
The first time I saw live footage of them as a 3-piece ( Progfest '95 video) I almost cried - 3 beautiful women playing the kind of music I like - plenty of Hammond, a crunching Ricky bass and impressive drumming........about bloody time..............One day I'd love to make it to Japan, but I'm obsessed with the U.S. at the moment......
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 02:41

Class.....pure class........I thought Kyoko left because she got married....(unfortunately, not to me.....LOL)?
Android Domina is quite a knock-out album actually - I really love the sound on that album, Mika adds much to that one.  The last album I bought of theirs was 'Biogenesis Project' and it didn't really excite me, and, the mastering seems rather lousy - I have to turn the volume right down and it still distorts - it's just too loud all the way.......
The first time I saw live footage of them as a 3-piece ( Progfest '95 video) I almost cried - 3 beautiful women playing the kind of music I like - plenty of Hammond, a crunching Ricky bass and impressive drumming........about bloody time..............One day I'd love to make it to Japan, but I'm obsessed with the U.S. at the moment......

Kyoko's surname changed from Saito to Kanazawa between F&A and Transi, so she's in there as a married gal for a bit.

ProgFest '95 is a great show. I wish I'd made it to the venue (somebody press 'rewind'...). Akiko plays her little tush off. Too bad she left to play in Marble Sheep. She was in 4 or 5 bands at the same time, though.

I love Android Domina, I played that to pieces when it first came out. I forgot Mika's on that. Spectular stuff.

Since the last release you got was Biogenesis Project, I urge you to get (Force for the Fourth) Chrysalis. It's the first appearance of the quartet formation on 3 of 6 tracks with Keiko, Panky, Masuhiro and Satoshi Honda (guitar). The album was Masuhiro's last. I thought it was a cool evolutionary step. All the Ayreon-isms on Seventh Hell put me off.

Edited by verslibre - January 27 2013 at 02:42
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 03:08
Hmm, Ayreon............i've never heard a note but I know in my gut that I won't like them (him...). 
I know I have a bit of catching up to do.......Panky is a decent bassist but no Kyoko.  Yes, you are right - Kyoko was Saito on 'Fear and Anxiety'.  Anyway, there needs to be more women in Prog (not just on vocals...White Willow come to mind but I digress.....).
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 04:14

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The second and third, Transi and Goddess Of Darkness, are regarded as high points by (most of) their fans. I'm particularly fond of Transi since the title track, and subsequently the album, was my first exposure to the band.

So you saw them with Masuhiro Goto? That's cool. I wish I could've seen them with Akiko, though (or at all, for that matter).
I presume so . I know he also played in Gerard so thats him presumably? My main memory was him getting up and hitting a gong for the finale of a track. Trouble is it was not properly set in place and was only there for the next band (a Pink Floyd tribute band) and it fell over when he hit it and it was damaged. Apparently the band had to fork out £500 to replace it!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2013 at 04:28
^^^^^^^ I know the gig of which you speak! Some gals from the defunct Greg Lake forum were there and remarked about Masu's antics. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12