Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Robert Fripp Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2012 at 20:42
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Today, they very well may be the most commercially successful progressive rock band in the world. In other words the most successful prog rock band ever

Yeah, because the commercial success is all that matters.  How did I not think of this before?

Commercial success does matter; there is correlation between the music quality of a given album and the number of copies sold - that is, if your methodology is right:

- Only look at the buying behavior of a specific group (like e.g. "prog" lovers), and disregard the rest of the statistics, so that you'd be comparing apples to apples
- Ignore reviews, ratings and forum noise: BS talks, money walks. 

I noticed a while ago that I am willing to spend more money on the best-selling albums of Yes, KC, PT, PF etc. than I would on their more obscure stuff. I haste to re-iterate that I don't buy the likes of Britney Spears, Justin Beaver, Katy Perry and the rest of them.
In that case let me re-phrase myself: commercial success is not the only thing that matters.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 27 2012 at 20:42
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 09:54

Today, they very well may be the most commercially successful progressive rock band in the world. In other words the most successful prog rock band ever

Yeah, because the commercial success is all that matters.  How did I not think of this before?

Commercial success does matter; there is correlation between the music quality of a given album and the number of copies sold - that is, if your methodology is right:

- Only look at the buying behavior of a specific group (like e.g. "prog" lovers), and disregard the rest of the statistics, so that you'd be comparing apples to apples

I noticed a while ago that I am willing to spend more money on the best-selling albums of Yes, KC, PT, PF etc. than I would on their more obscure stuff. I haste to re-iterate that I don't buy the likes of Britney Spears, Justin Beaver, Katy Perry and the rest of them.
In that case let me re-phrase myself: commercial success is not the only thing that matters.

I think you were clear enough to begin with "commercial success is all that matters(sarcastic)".  Smile

By the way, Pink Floyd beats Rush by a very wide margin for commercial success.  I think JT does so as well.  But I guess they are not prog. Wink
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 13:29

Today, they very well may be the most commercially successful progressive rock band in the world. In other words the most successful prog rock band everWinkWinkWink

Yeah, because the commercial success is all that matters. Confused How did I not think of this before?

Nah, the music matters most WinkWinkWink
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:04
^ You remember writing this, right?

Today, they very well may be the most commercially successful progressive rock band in the world. In other words the most successful prog rock band everWinkWinkWink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:18

Yeah and what, the music has always been and will be the most important thing for me. Them being the most successful prog rock band means that people go out buy their stuff for a reason.
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Ambient Hurricanes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:38
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I think you were clear enough to begin with "commercial success is all that matters(sarcastic)".  Smile

By the way, Pink Floyd beats Rush by a very wide margin for commercial success.  I think JT does so as well.  But I guess they are not prog. Wink

Oops.  Forgot about Pink Floyd.  They have definitely sold more albums than Rush.  Just looked up some statistics, and Jethro Tull is ahead too, as well as Chicago and Santana (if you consider them "prog").
I love dogs, I've always loved dogs
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:40

Yeah and what, the music has always been and will be the most important thing for me. Them being the most successful prog rock band means that people go out buy their stuff for a reason.
That sounds more like a crude definition of "most commercially successful". Isn't there a difference between "most successful" in general and "most commercially successful".

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 28 2012 at 14:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 14:49

That sounds more like a crude definition of "most commercially successful". Isn't there a difference between "most successful" in general and "most commercially successful".

Not really, they have been the most successful band, and they brought me into this wonderful world of ProgWink. They might not be the most complex band or most experimental but they are the most successful and still damn complex. Selling albums has nothing to do with commercial music, it could but not always like for example that Bieber kid sells a lot but he will be forgotten in time(and it doesn't mean that an artist is always good). Rush has been around for over 40 years and there's a reason for it.
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 15:21
^ OK, let me put it this way: isn't there a difference between "commercially successful" and "musically successful"? The two aren't always the same thing, right?
Sumdeus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 15:28
jesus these conversations are hurting my head...
Sumdeus - surreal space/psych/prog journeys
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 15:34
^ I guess you don't like epic discussions. Tongue

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 28 2012 at 15:35
Fredfx View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2012 at 22:38
Robert Fripp is TERRIBLY underrated.

He broke ground with EVERY new incarnation of King Crimson.

And as soon as they WEREN'T breaking new ground he disbanded the group.

Now IMHO that's an artist of the highest order who honors the muse so obediently.

Every single version of KC has broken new ground musically.

Not sure you can say that about any of the other prog artists.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 00:23

^ OK, let me put it this way: isn't there a difference between "commercially successful" and "musically successful"? The two aren't always the same thing, right?

you already heard what I have to say but in the case of Rush in my opinion they are definitely "musically successful"
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 00:25

you already heard what I have to say but in the case of Rush in my opinion they are definitely "musically successful"

But what do you have to say to the FACT that they are not the most commercially successful prog rock band? Definitely one of the most successful, no arguments there.  If you are going to say Rush is better than some other band just because the album sales 'confirm' their quality, I don't buy that argument. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 00:30

But what do you have to say to the FACT that they are not the most commercially successful prog rock band? Definitely one of the most successful, no arguments there.  If you are going to say Rush is better than some other band just because the album sales 'confirm' their quality, I don't buy that argument. 

I'm not asking you to buy that am IConfused
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 01:00
So what exactly is the point of making assertions you are not interested in defending, may I ask?  You didn't just say that Rush are your favourite band.  You have tried to claim that commercial success and artistic success are NOT different things.  That is an objective statement and not a subjective one so you have to defend it and thereby convince people about your stand.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 01:48

So what exactly is the point of making assertions you are not interested in defending, may I ask?  You didn't just say that Rush are your favourite band.  You have tried to claim that commercial success and artistic success are NOT different things.  That is an objective statement and not a subjective one so you have to defend it and thereby convince people about your stand.
You personally didn't infer that, did you?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 02:02
I didn't have to infer it because he has said so.   Here:

sounds more like a crude definition of "most commercially successful". Isn't there a difference between "most successful" in general and "most commercially successful".

Not really, 

I have read his words correctly, I think.   "Isn't there a difference....?"  "No, there isn't."  If that is not what he intended, it is up to him to clarify. 

I can call it for what it is, regardless.   This is just about people trying to find arguments in favour of why their favourite band is great.  I am sure such a case can be very effectively argued in terms of Rush's profound influence on prog metal without resorting to dubious stats. 
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 08:08
I may have had enough of me but I've had enough of you? LOL

I stand by my assertion that Robert Fripp is properly rated.

Edited by Slartibartfast - December 30 2012 at 08:09
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2012 at 10:17
^Oh, great song!

Magma America Great Make Again
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 23>