Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Robert Fripp Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 23>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 15:40
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Talent wise? Yes
As a musician? Well...I guess that is up for personal debate, KC is still a top 20 band for me, even as my tastes have changed and found so many more bands over time, and they have one of stronger discogs in my book, so he's pretty good as a musician/composer I say!
I'll grant, when you are made out to be god by default you're probably a bit overrated, and I don't think he's the best but I love KC and think Fripp is pretty dope. 
Many great points have been made already so no need to add on to why he's pretty dope IMO

Comparing Fripp to god is overrating god.   

Whoa! Where did that lightning come from?   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 15:43
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Talent wise? Yes
As a musician? Well...I guess that is up for personal debate, KC is still a top 20 band for me, even as my tastes have changed and found so many more bands over time, and they have one of stronger discogs in my book, so he's pretty good as a musician/composer I say!
I'll grant, when you are made out to be god by default you're probably a bit overrated, and I don't think he's the best but I love KC and think Fripp is pretty dope. 
Many great points have been made already so no need to add on to why he's pretty dope IMO

Comparing Fripp to god is overrating god.   

Whoa! Where did that lightning come from?   

Edited by SteveG - July 29 2014 at 15:43
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 16:04
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Trouble is the sitting down thing becomes a statement so it still plays into an image and helping sell records. I'm not sure that he is viewed with any more suspicion than the many individuals that are in rock bands who are generally not always the 'nicest' people.  Jolly good wheeze to be able to sit down on the job and make it look like some high integrity.IMO

How is a highly accomplished rock guitarist who sits down to play at a live concert 'playing into an image and helping sell records? The foregoing is the antithesis of Rawk aesthetics: Jumping around, showing off, pulling faces and maybe trashing yer gear is de rigueur for the genre. To paraphrase another hippy (Bill Hicks): are you saying Bob was cunningly playing the sexy but sedentary axe hero dollar?Wink

I am deeply cynical about these things. You are painting some picture of some guy who puts music entirely first and doesn't care about projecting any sort of image. Sitting down is basically saying 'I am a virtuoso' is it not?

Nope. I'm sitting down right now and I'm not any sort of virtuoso.Confused
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2014 at 16:08
^Perhaps if you played the spoons?
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 00:45

Trouble is the sitting down thing becomes a statement so it still plays into an image and helping sell records. I'm not sure that he is viewed with any more suspicion than the many individuals that are in rock bands who are generally not always the 'nicest' people.  Jolly good wheeze to be able to sit down on the job and make it look like some high integrity.IMO

How is a highly accomplished rock guitarist who sits down to play at a live concert 'playing into an image and helping sell records? The foregoing is the antithesis of Rawk aesthetics: Jumping around, showing off, pulling faces and maybe trashing yer gear is de rigueur for the genre. To paraphrase another hippy (Bill Hicks): are you saying Bob was cunningly playing the sexy but sedentary axe hero dollar?Wink

I am deeply cynical about these things. You are painting some picture of some guy who puts music entirely first and doesn't care about projecting any sort of image. Sitting down is basically saying 'I am a virtuoso' is it not?

Nope. I'm sitting down right now and I'm not any sort of virtuoso.Confused

as long as you are not standing up and being a rock star then that's fineThumbs Up
ProgMetaller2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 00:48
I hate when people call Fripp "God" because he is not "God". He is creative and that's that
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

― George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four

"Ignorance and Prejudice and Fear walk Hand in Hand"- Neil Peart

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 00:53
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Rating RF?! Underrate maybe but overrate..... I dont understand some of members. I saw strange posts these days in PA. One guy said "I hate Yes" and other guy write "Genesis hit me" (in positive attitude) and now "Robert Fripp is overrated". I think some guys come in wrong address!! Maybe some of you dont like Progressive music. Maybe some guys try to show themselves "Different Guys". Who knows.

My original post said. Is Robert Fripp overrated? Not Robert  Fripp is overrated. Get your facts straight, dude!
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 07:29
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

You've read the part where I mentioned the chemistry of speed, technique, and awkward fingerplay, right? If you play a note really fast, things don't get much more difficult. Speed alone doesn't add to the difficulty. We are talking playing whole tones here.

that's obvious I wasn't talking about a single note, I was talking  about the composition. Fripp can play really fast but his articulation is rather poor while doing it. That's the point from the very beginning of this conversation.

I think it's "said" (as in "mentioned"), not "set", but I may be wrong, though it's that change of words that changes the meaning of the sentence.

I believe Bill mentioned this kind of philosophy when it comes to improvisation. The Crims weren't all about improvisation. Nothing is said when you improvise. You are just supposed to know what notes to hit, what chord is to be played next, etc.

you decide if it's set or said (from 1:18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-f0P7-fxUQ

You are right, you don't. Here by complexity I mean something opposite to simplicity. It's easy to comply with an already given conventional format, but to write something creative form-wise requires a direction and an imagination. If you deviate from something like AABB or AABA, if you write something like ABABCDE, then you are making your piece more complicated in form.

that's obvious, but you can write a song based on simple riffs and chords but with many ideas (different riffs) in it, and you can write a little piece with many insane licks that create its complexity.
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 11:02
Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

Rating RF?! Underrate maybe but overrate..... I dont understand some of members. I saw strange posts these days in PA. One guy said "I hate Yes" and other guy write "Genesis hit me" (in positive attitude) and now "Robert Fripp is overrated". I think some guys come in wrong address!! Maybe some of you dont like Progressive music. Maybe some guys try to show themselves "Different Guys". Who knows.

My original post said. Is Robert Fripp overrated? Not Robert  Fripp is overrated. Get your facts straight, dude!

You answer your question by this question! Your opinion is very clear and I dont want to explain your opinion for you!! You talked about your anger very clear. Please DUDE! you must get your facts straight not me. Its very easy to say "I hate X" or "I dont like Y" without facts!! I think you get your answer from other guys and I dont want to waste your and my and others time.Wink
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 12:44
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

You've read the part where I mentioned the chemistry of speed, technique, and awkward fingerplay, right? If you play a note really fast, things don't get much more difficult. Speed alone doesn't add to the difficulty. We are talking playing whole tones here.
that's obvious I wasn't talking about a single note, I was talking  about the composition. Fripp can play really fast but his articulation is rather poor while doing it. That's the point from the very beginning of this conversation.
I just brought the single note as an example, to make a point that speed alone doesn't make the execution much more complicated. As for poor articulation, I still don't hear it.

You've made a point in the beginning of the conversation, but as the conversation progressed, you've made more that I disagreed with.

I think it's "said" (as in "mentioned"), not "set", but I may be wrong, though it's that change of words that changes the meaning of the sentence.

I believe Bill mentioned this kind of philosophy when it comes to improvisation. The Crims weren't all about improvisation. Nothing is said when you improvise. You are just supposed to know what notes to hit, what chord is to be played next, etc.
you decide if it's set or said (from 1:18)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-f0P7-fxUQ
Both make sense. Can we agree on that at least?

You are right, you don't. Here by complexity I mean something opposite to simplicity. It's easy to comply with an already given conventional format, but to write something creative form-wise requires a direction and an imagination. If you deviate from something like AABB or AABA, if you write something like ABABCDE, then you are making your piece more complicated in form.
That's obvious, but (1) you can write a song based on simple riffs and chords but with many ideas (different riffs) in it, and (2) you can write a little piece with many insane licks that create its complexity.

1) That sounds like a rather vague idea. The complexity of something in a piece depends on what those chords and what those different riffs are like. I was actually speaking of inclusion of different sections that make the format of "Fracture" more complicated.

2) That's another way to achieve complexity.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - July 30 2014 at 21:56
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 15:22
If Fripp is God - I want to know which one - there are such a lot to choose from....well he's sitting down a lot so that possibly makes him like those Indian gods as they always seem to be sitting down.....
I think it's a bit small-minded to liken Mr Fripp to an imaginary and lets face it - fairly powerless personification....A true Fripp fan would liken him to a more potent force like an Active volcano twiddling with a Gibson or summat like that....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 15:28
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

If Fripp is God - I want to know which one - there are such a lot to choose from....well he's sitting down a lot so that possibly makes him like those Indian gods as they always seem to be sitting down.....
I think it's a bit small-minded to liken Mr Fripp to an imaginary and lets face it - fairly powerless personification....A true Fripp fan would liken him to a more potent force like an Active volcano twiddling with a Gibson or summat like that....
How dare you put down my exalted god Amon Ra. May many black sphinxes cross your path and cause your bandages to unravel cursed one.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 16:10
I assume the original question means overrated in general since it does not refer specifically to his guitar playing, band works,  or his solo albums.
I think we all tend to overrate our favorite musical heroes...just a little.

Smile

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2014 at 17:30

Originally posted by ProgMetaller2112 ProgMetaller2112 wrote:

You answer your question by this question! Your opinion is very clear and I dont want to explain your opinion for you!! You talked about your anger very clear. Please DUDE! you must get your facts straight not me. Its very easy to say "I hate X" or "I dont like Y" without facts!! I think you get your answer from other guys and I dont want to waste your and my and others time.Wink

The only reason why I said what I said  that was because you clearly forgot to read the thread Wink
“War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.”

O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 10:22
Be honest my friend. I dont want fight for nothing. Oh please one question:
Which GOD you talked about? I swear R.F cant create World or Trees or Animals or ...He wasnt make Big Bang. He cant .....
I read this thread dude. believe me this isnt good way. Why you think know about me? Are You know me? Are You know someone that know me? Maybe you think you are GOD and know everything . I dont care what you think about me. This is your post and this about R.F not me. Wink
Try to be relax and respect to other opinions. I dont have personal problem with you. I just wrote my opinion. I dont think accuse others is fair.

Edited by O666 - July 31 2014 at 10:24
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:57

1) That sounds like a rather vague idea. The complexity of something in a piece depends on what those chords and what those different riffs are like. I was actually speaking of inclusion of different sections that make the format of "Fracture" more complicated.

2) That's another way to achieve complexity.

that's why I said, you can use many different chords and the song still won't be complex cos those chords are simple.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 11:59
Originally posted by Dayvenkir <br><div>Both make sense. Can we agree on that at least?<span style=line-height: 1.2;> </span>[/QUOTE Dayvenkir
Both make sense. Can we agree on that at least? [/QUOTE wrote:

sure, but it proves that Robert Fripp improvised a lot like all of them

sure, but it proves that Robert Fripp improvised a lot like all of them
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:10

I know what you mean--but I hate VDGG and usually dive for cover when I say itLOL ---but prog is a big universe and you can't expect to appreciate all of it---but not thinking Fripp is the great and powerful Oz and not liking Yes or Genesis is totally not acceptableWink
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:15

Oh please one question:
Which GOD you talked about? I swear R.F cant create World or Trees or Animals or ...He wasnt make Big Bang. He cant

Does god play guitar? Did he compose the music for Lizard? LTIA? Has god provided us with hours upon hours of excellent music? I think not.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:21
^I agree. The last I heard is that God only listens to gospel music. Lame.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 23>