Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Robert Fripp Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I agree. The last I heard is that God only listens to gospel music. Lame.

...and maybe even a little ugly on the side

[FZ reference]
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:55
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

1) That sounds like a rather vague idea. The complexity of something in a piece depends on what those chords and what those different riffs are like. I was actually speaking of inclusion of different sections that make the format of "Fracture" more complicated.

2) That's another way to achieve complexity.
That's why I said, you can use many different chords and the song still won't be complex cos those chords are simple.
The chords don't have to be simple. It's the fact that you use many different chords in a particular way, in a single section or a number of sections, that determines how complicated a piece is in detail. Think "A Saucerful of Secrets". That one is all AA...A (closed with a Bmaj), but that A-section entails so many different major chords that the section is truly complicated in detail.

Both make sense. Can we agree on that at least?
sure, but it proves that Robert Fripp improvised a lot like all of them.
True, but not all the time. Some pieces were composed.
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 12:57

God listens to a bit of Goth every now and then on the sly (so I've heard).

Help me I'm falling!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 13:22
Nah - God is an original greaser - with black leathers and a penchant for motorcycles....and I have proof - Just read your bible (Old Testament) It tells us about one of his head boys on earth.....
"And the Roar of Moses' TRIUMPH could be heard throughout Israel....."

(The old one's are always the best!!!)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2014 at 15:11
^Satan has a 1952 black Vincent Lightning. What else would you expect from the original Bad A**?
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 03:55

The chords don't have to be simple. It's the fact that you use many different chords in a particular way, in a single section or a number of sections, that determines how complicated a piece is in detail. Think "A Saucerful of Secrets". That one is all AA...A (closed with a Bmaj), but that A-section entails so many different major chords that the section is truly complicated in detail

Don't have to but sometimes are and I am talking about the situation when there are many simple chords in the composition. Is it complex? Don't think so.
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 04:01

The chords don't have to be simple. It's the fact that you use many different chords in a particular way, in a single section or a number of sections, that determines how complicated a piece is in detail. Think "A Saucerful of Secrets". That one is all AA...A (closed with a Bmaj), but that A-section entails so many different major chords that the section is truly complicated in detail.
Don't have to but sometimes are and I am talking about the situation when there are many simple chords in the composition. Is it complex? Don't think so.
(Then we are talking about the same thing.) How is a piece with many more chords in it not more complicated? I've just brought up an example.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 04:06

(Then we are talking about the same thing.) How is a piece with many more chords in it not more complicated? I've just brought up an example.

if all chords are simple I don't see complexity here
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 05:27

If all chords are simple I don't see complexity here.
Again, they don't have to be complex. More chords - more of musical information, more complication in the detail of a piece.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 01 2014 at 05:31
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Rating RF?! Underrate maybe but overrate..... I dont understand some of members. I saw strange posts these days in PA. One guy said "I hate Yes" and other guy write "Genesis hit me" (in positive attitude) and now "Robert Fripp is overrated". I think some guys come in wrong address!! Maybe some of you dont like Progressive music. Maybe some guys try to show themselves "Different Guys". Who knows.

I know what you mean--but I hate VDGG and usually dive for cover when I say itLOL ---but prog is a big universe and you can't expect to appreciate all of it---but not thinking Fripp is the great and powerful Oz and not liking Yes or Genesis is totally not acceptableWink

Good point. I dont like many of giants in PA like many members but I cant talk about them negative!! You get my point and I get yoursWink
Thanks.

Edited by O666 - August 01 2014 at 10:38
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 10:35
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

Oh please one question:
Which GOD you talked about? I swear R.F cant create World or Trees or Animals or ...He wasnt make Big Bang. He cant

Does god play guitar? Did he compose the music for Lizard? LTIA? Has god provided us with hours upon hours of excellent music? I think not.   
EXACTLY. Wink
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:26

Robert Fripp is not God…  But he is a direct descendant of the Lord himself.  Thumbs Up

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:39

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Rating RF?! Underrate maybe but overrate..... I dont understand some of members. I saw strange posts these days in PA. One guy said "I hate Yes" and other guy write "Genesis hit me" (in positive attitude) and now "Robert Fripp is overrated". I think some guys come in wrong address!! Maybe some of you dont like Progressive music. Maybe some guys try to show themselves "Different Guys". Who knows.

I know what you mean--but I hate VDGG and usually dive for cover when I say itLOL ---but prog is a big universe and you can't expect to appreciate all of it---but not thinking Fripp is the great and powerful Oz and not liking Yes or Genesis is totally not acceptableWink

Good point. I dont like many of giants in PA like many members but I cant talk about them negative!! You get my point and I get yoursWink
Thanks.
Like every other forum on the interweb, this website has trolls. Stern Smile
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 12:54
^ I know, right. Some people on here do nothing but make sarcastic comments and become argumentative easily. Uh. Wait.   
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 13:13

<span style="line-height: 1.2;">The chords don't have to be simple. It's the fact that you use many different chords in a particular way, in a single section or a number of sections, that determines how complicated a piece is </span><u style="line-height: 1.2;">in detail<span style="line-height: 1.2;">. Think "A Saucerful of Secrets". That one is all AA...A (closed with a Bmaj), but that A-section entails so many different major chords that the section is </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">truly</span><span style="line-height: 1.2;"> </span><span style="line-height: 1.2;">complicated </span><u style="line-height: 1.2;">in detail<span style="line-height: 1.2;">.</span>
If all chords are simple I don't see complexity here.
Again, they don't have to be complex. More chords - more of musical information, more complication in the detail of a piece.
I agree. It's the relationship between the chords. For instance, in music theory, a regular major chord could be a functional equivalent of a minor 7th one and a half steps lower because it use the same notes aside from the root note of the minor 7th. Nevertheless, Fripp has been known to use 13th chords and the like. I don't believe he was any slouch in designing chord progressions.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:11

it's still not complex, it's just more complicated than a piece with less chords.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:15

it's still not complex, it's just more complicated than a piece with less chords.
I think it depends on how many chords, how much information is put into the piece.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 01 2014 at 16:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:16
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I agree. It's the relationship between the chords. For instance, in music theory, a regular major chord could be a functional equivalent of a minor 7th one and a half steps lower because it use the same notes aside from the root note of the minor 7th. Nevertheless, Fripp has been known to use 13th chords and the like. I don't believe he was any slouch in designing chord progressions.
Ah! ... Didn't know that. I never break music down like that.  Embarrassed

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 01 2014 at 16:17
Dr. Occulator View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:25
No. He deserves every accolade anyone can think of. The most consistent prog guitarist ever.
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:26

I think it depends on how many chords, how much information is put into the piece.

If I write a song with 12 different chords it's more complicated than a song with only 8 different chords. Yet it's not too complex if all chords are simple.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>