Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Robert Fripp Overrated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:29
Originally posted by LSDisease LSDisease wrote:

Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

Again, they don't have to be complex. More chords - more of musical information, more complication in the detail of a piece.
it's still not complex, it's just more complicated than a piece with less chords.
I think it depends on how many chords, how much information is put into the piece.
If I write a song with 12 different chords it's more complicated than a song with only 8 different chords. Yet it's not too complex if all chords are simple.
Yeah, I don't want to discuss the upper limit on how many simple chords would make a simple piece, or the lower limit on how many simple chords would make a complex piece.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:32

Yeah, I don't want to discuss the upper limit on how many simple chords would make a simple piece, or the lower limit on how many simple chords would make a complex piece.

I don't know if it's possible to make a complex piece using only simple chords LOL
"Du gehst zu Frauen? Vergiss die Peitsche nicht!"
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:39

I don't know if it's possible to make a complex piece using only simple chords LOL
I know this particular topic doesn't belong on this thread, so I'd like to close it with another thought. Now that I'm reading the tab for "Celestial Voices", you could use about seven or more chords to generate many more subtle chord changes, but at this point I don't even want to go in detail about whether it's (1) the number of just the chords or (2) the number of the chords and the number of the different subtle chord changes that could make a piece more complicated. That's up to you.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 16:56

I know this particular topic doesn't belong on this thread, so I'd like to close it with another thought. Now that I'm reading the tab for "Celestial Voices", you could use about seven or more chords to generate many more subtle chord changes, but at this point I don't even want to go in detail about whether it's (1) the number of just the chords or (2) the number of the chords and the number of the different subtle chord changes that could make a piece more complicated. That's up to you.[/QUOTE]

Simple chord is a simple chord. Not all chords are simple. Chord changes? Man, a guitar covers 4 octaves. Many progressions are available.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 17:00

Simple chord is a simple chord. Not all chords are simple.
I'm aware of that, so I don't know if you are onto another point here.

Chord changes? Man, a guitar covers 4 octaves. Many progressions are available.
I was talking about making many progressions from just about seven or more chords. Don't know what octaves have to do with any of it.
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 17:05

I was talking about making many progressions from just about seven or more chords. Don't know what octaves have to do with any of it.

it doesn't matter if all chords are simple, everything must be simple too. Simple chords simple progression.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2014 at 18:14

it doesn't matter if all chords are simple, everything must be simple too. Simple chords simple progression.
Now you've lost me. What point are you making here now? Just because all chords in a piece are simple, that does not necessarily mean that all the chord changes, the chord voicings, and the progressions are simple in detail. Think bigger. The execution of the piece may be simple, but the detail of the piece may or may not be complex. Keep in mind that what is simple or complex in terms of execution and detail (and there is an obvious difference between the latter two) can sometimes be in the grey area. "Is this piece simple or complex?" "Compared to what?"

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 01 2014 at 18:23
LSDisease View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 06:49

Now you've lost me. What point are you making here now? Just because all chords in a piece are simple, that does not necessarily mean that all the chord changes, the chord voicings, and the progressions are simple in detail. Think bigger. The execution of the piece may be simple, but the detail of the piece may or may not be complex. Keep in mind that what is simple or complex in terms of execution and detail (and there is an obvious difference between the latter two) can sometimes be in the grey area. "Is this piece simple or complex?" "Compared to what?"[/QUOTE]

If you mix 10 simple songs into one song you won't have one complex song you will still have a simple song cos to have it complex those riffs must interact with each other in multiple ways.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 07:32
^ How's the view from the veranda you constructed inside your own butt? Assuming that you're still referencing Fracture vis a vis it's perceived simplicity or complexity, it strikes me as a piece of music that is not chord based i.e. triads have no real governing role in the development of the entire composition. Rather it is a piece that develops along scaler lines e.g. particularly whole tone and diminished types. The premise that simple chords beget simple music falls upon the reductio ad absurdum premise that Indian classical music, which takes many years to master, and is not chord or triad based is therefore worthy of no more than an ambient soundtrack to kiddies cartoons or computer games. Blow it out your ill informed ass.LOL
SirArrogate View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 07:48
I don't think Robert Fripp is overrated. Based upon what I've heard of his playing, with and without King Crimson, he is certainly in my book, a very original, inventive and affecting guitarist. 
tamijo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 09:56
It's the complexity of the silence between the cords, that is the true heart of the matter.
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 10:33
Originally posted by tamijo tamijo wrote:

It's the complexity of the silence between the cords, that is the true heart of the matter.
LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2014 at 11:42

If you mix 10 simple songs into one song you won't have one complex song you will still have a simple song ... cos to have it complex those riffs must interact with each other in multiple ways.
Now you've just made yourself yet another out-of-place statement. Not only does it have nothing to do with the thread, it also has very little to do with what we were discussing previously - how in some cases simple chords can be used to create a complicated piece of music (which I've already explained, and I'm not intending to repeat myself).

Game over.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - August 02 2014 at 21:12
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 09:52
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Rating RF?! Underrate maybe but overrate..... I dont understand some of members. I saw strange posts these days in PA. One guy said "I hate Yes" and other guy write "Genesis hit me" (in positive attitude) and now "Robert Fripp is overrated". I think some guys come in wrong address!! Maybe some of you dont like Progressive music. Maybe some guys try to show themselves "Different Guys". Who knows.

I know what you mean--but I hate VDGG and usually dive for cover when I say itLOL ---but prog is a big universe and you can't expect to appreciate all of it---but not thinking Fripp is the great and powerful Oz and not liking Yes or Genesis is totally not acceptableWink

Good point. I dont like many of giants in PA like many members but I cant talk about them negative!! You get my point and I get yoursWink
Thanks.
Like every other forum on the interweb, this website has trolls. Stern Smile

I NEVER IGNORE MUSICIANS ABILITIES." I like or I dont like " isnt a reason to Ignore artists. 
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 09:58
Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

^ I know, right. Some people on here do nothing but make sarcastic comments and become argumentative easily. Uh. Wait.   

Are you angry with me Doc? and you Dean? I think you pointing me in this thread. 
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 10:08
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

You mean the time between the notes relates the color to the scene?Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 11:08

Over the years I have heard some musicians say, especially with guitarists,  that what a guitar player doesn't play is just as important as the notes he does play.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 12:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Over the years I have heard some musicians say, especially with guitarists,  that what a guitar player doesn't play is just as important as the notes he does play.

Heard this too--always thought that Howe was very aware of that too---at least I hear that in his playing.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2014 at 15:33

Originally posted by The Doctor The Doctor wrote:

^ I know, right. Some people on here do nothing but make sarcastic comments and become argumentative easily. Uh. Wait.   

Are you angry with me Doc? and you Dean? I think you pointing me in this thread. 
No he isn't, neither am I, and No we are not picking on you in this thread. 

You asked why people make negative comments. I answered - some people like to make negative comments to make other people react. The internet term for that behaviour is trolling, the "I hate Yes" thread is an example of a troll-thread. This is not a comment on your posts here.

Chester (Doc) responded with a self-deprecating joke (ie he made a joke about his own behaviour). He was not commenting on your posts here.

peace out.
What?
O666 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2014 at 09:04
Thanks again Dean and I appreciated. SmileThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021 23>